How to install Proton VPN on Tumbleweed?

There is no request for authentication visible there. Also, journalctl output contains the same lines repeated several times. So I am afraid it does not help.

1 Like

Thing is that you are the responsible system manager. It is basically you that must know why you have each of those repositories. E.g. you did add something Microsoft for some reason. If that reason is no longer actual, then remove it. Same for hardware, network (well, i do understand that is what you need :wink: ), Lazy_Kentā€™s one, etc.

1 Like

Okay it seems like it is time to give up.

I guess the only solution left is to re-install Tumbleweed and try to install protonvpn as the first thing.

So Iā€™ll be spending the next couple of days making backups of all my files etc.

Would it be possible to re-install, install protonvpn and then make a clone at that point so Iā€™m able to go back to a point in time where I have a basic system that is working?

You are the boss of course, but I see no reason to install fresh where you have proven that it works for one (test) user and not for another. Something like cleaning out the other userā€™s configurations should be enough.

BTW your repo list is not really bad (I see none of the usual problems like double repos, complete wrong ones, etc.), but if you need some of them is something only you can decide.

This thread motivated me to try to run ProtonVPN. I tried running the ProtonVPN extension in my Chrome browser and it always failed.

This time, I used yast to download protonvpn-gui. It brought in a lot of files, 11.59 MB of them. I wasnā€™t watching too closely but I think they were mostly python. I have long had a free Proton account for email. That includes the VPN. I started the gui and a login box popped up. I entered my Proton email name (without the @ or .com ending) and the account password. The VPN opened immediately and picked a USA server without asking. Its operating now. Its the free version.

1 Like

Hi hcvv, thanks for your comments.
The thing is I am completely new to Tumbleweed or any other distros. So those little tweaks and adjustments experienced users would use to fix the situation is not an option. I do not know how this OS functions and how to adjust simple things. Most of the time I have to ask the chatbot (PGT) how to solve problems. And even though I do this then most of the times things donā€™t work out succesfully. So at this moment I have been trying numerous things based on the chatbots recommendations and I have no clue about the consequences of these actions. I just had to do something to progress. So the problem is that my OS is probably configured wrongly because of all those adjustments that did not work out. Also, my experience with Linux so far is, that it takes 10x as much time to adjust the system than to re-install it. One little problem usually turns out to be a massive problem involving all kinds of settings that is dependant of each other multiplying the time factor involved many times. Remember, each time I run into a problem with Linux then I have to start a learning process. Itā€™s not about the problem itself, itā€™s about all the other things in the problem-solving process. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. A seemingly innocent little connection problem suddenly escalates into a chain of new subjects like refresh tokens, token validation, TLS handshakes, keyrings, network managers etc. Just one of the above mentioned things starts a new process involving other factors I have no clues about. So it is a situation with no end unless you spend a lot of time reading up on the subject or got an education within computer science. I am a simple user not expecting to spend 1-2 weeks to get my vpn to connect to the internet. It took 2 minuttes to make it work on windows 10 as well as on a Mac notebook. So I am rather shocked about the complexity it takes on this platform. But perhaps it is about investing a couple of thousands hours in this project to get used to the way it works. So yes thatā€™s the reason why I feel like re-installing the system. I totally understand the stupidity from your point of view.

Regarding the repositories you mentioned, then this is another new subject which I ALSO have read up on. The repositories has not been added directly by myself. They are usually needed (indirectly) in a given situation and being installed like without my knowledge about them. I just know that I need them given I need to install a package. I have no chance knowing if I need them specifically or if I should abandon the install process. Usually installment of new repositories comes with a message saying that those repositories are needed. Regarding the Microsoft repository then I simply donā€™t know why it was installed. Could it be something related to my laptop from Dell?

That could be for Teams?

And maybe better ask here then those Chatbots?

I will do that future wise :wink:

I do not use Teams but good guess.
I been looking through all my apps and I see no Microsoft products at all.
Never mind, all is being re-installed this time so I can start all over without all these weird settings and things not working :soap: :soap: :broom: :broom:

Use YaST > Software Management. From the View menu (somewhere up-left) choose repositories. Then from the list choose the Microsoft one. At right you will se the list of packages installed from it.

Rather easy :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I already asked on https://build.opensuse.org/
but can you add latest stable linux protonvpn ?

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.

Please your question is not the same as the original question as shown in the topic title. Better create a new topic to draw attention of people.

Then, you seem to be confused about the audience here. These forums are openSUSE users (trying) to help other openSUSE users. Users do not add software to repositories (and it is unclear which repository you mean).

1 Like