How To install one or several additional desktop environments ?

Hello everybody,

I’m new to GNU/Linux and openSUSE. I’ve just installed 12.3 on an Asus laptop and it works fine. I chose the KDE install, but I want to try other DEs, and especially, as a first try, Xfce. I’ve also a problem of display with openTTD under KDE.

What I would like to do is : install just the DE Xfce, without extra apps like Abiword (I’ve already LibreOffice with KDE) or Midori (Firefox…) etc.

What do I have to do for that ?

Thanks in advance. And long live openSUSE !

Bug.

YaST > Software > Software Management.Use the View button and choose Patterns. You will find LXDE, Gnome, KDE4 and XFCE there.

Thanks for your answer. I’ve already done that, but there is a “bunch” of packages appearing to be installed, and I don’t really understand what they are for (description is often missing). But if you “certify” to me this is the necessary and sufficient step to have a working “minimal” Xfce DE, that’s fine to me.

Best regards,

Bug.

P.S. Sorry for my english, it’s perhaps not so good and understandable.

It normaly isn’t worth to go and decide for every package if you realy need it or not. Only when you are short of disk space, but that is nowadays hardly the case. Thus: install all.

When you decide later (after half a year or so) that you only want to work with one desktop, then at the next version of openSUSE, install anew and install only the DE you want. That will then clean up things.

Hi,

When you are in the yast2-softwaremanagement-patterns
There are two Xfce that you will find, the xfce base system and the xfce desktop environment

Check both and if you want to modify the xfce installation, just keep the xfce base system
and in the xfce desktop environment it is where you can take out some application that you don’t want ex. abiworld etc.
Just be careful that when you attempt to remove a package it is not warning “you” of dependencies if it is just install it
to avoid messing up your machine.

I don’t know how to do in yast, because I’m using the commandline tool for package management (zypper). But zypper tells you what he wants to do. You can control what packages you want to install. Here is my output when I want to install the pattern “xfce” (I’m not using xfce):

zypper in -t pattern xfce
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  ConsoleKit ConsoleKit-x11 NetworkManager-gnome accountsservice alacarte brasero canberra-gtk-play crafty evince exo-branding-openSUSE exo-data exo-lang exo-tools fifth-leg-font file-roller freerdp gcalctool gdmflexiserver glchess glines gnect gnibbles gnobots2 gnome-games gnome-games-support gnome-js-common gnome-mahjongg gnome-menus gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-pty-helper gnome-sudoku gnome-themes-accessibility gnomine gnotravex gnotski grilo-plugin-tracker grilo-plugins gstreamer-plugin-gstclutter gsynaptics gtali gtk2-engine-hcengine gucharmap iagno leafpad libbrasero-burn3-1 libbrasero-media3-1 libbrasero-utils3-1 libclutter-1_0-0 libclutter-gtk-1_0-0 libcogl-pango0 libcogl11 libdmapsharing-3_0-2 libevdocument3-4 libevview3-3 libexempi3 libexo-1-0 libfreerdp-1_0 libfreerdp-1_0-plugins libgarcon-1-0 libgarcon-branding-openSUSE libgarcon-data libgarcon-lang libgee2 libgexiv2-1 libgmime-2_6-0 libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-menu-3-0 libgnomesu libgnomesu0 libgrilo-0_2-1 libgrlnet-0_2-0 libgsf-1-114 libgucharmap_2_90-7 libgxps2 libiptcdata libiptcdata0 libjson-glib-1_0-0 libkeybinder0 libkpathsea6 liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libminiupnpc8 libnm-gtk0 libnotify-tools libosinfo libosinfo-1_0-0 libpcsclite1 libpeas-1_0-0 libpeas-gtk-1_0-0 libpeas-loader-python libpeas-loader-seed libpurple libpurple-branding-openSUSE libpurple-lang libpurple-tcl libquvi-scripts libquvi7 libraw5 libreoffice-gnome librest0 libseed-gtk3-0 libsilc-1_1-2 libsilcclient-1_1-3 libsocks0 libthunarx-2-0 libtotem-plparser-mini17 libtotem-plparser17 libtracker-common-0_14-0 libtracker-extract-0_14-0 libtracker-miner-0_14-0 libtracker-sparql-0_14-0 libtumbler-1-0 libunique-1_0-0 libvte2_90-9 libvte9 libwnck-1-22 libxfce4panel-1_0-4 libxfce4ui-1-0 libxfce4ui-branding-openSUSE libxfce4ui-lang libxfce4ui-tools libxfce4util-lang libxfce4util6 libxfcegui4-4 libxfcegui4-data libxfcegui4-lang libxfconf-0-2 libxfsm-4_6-0 libxklavier16 libyui-gtk-pkg4 libyui-gtk4 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-branding-openSUSE lightdm-gtk-greeter-lang lightdm-lang lightsoff openSUSE-xfce-icon-theme orage orage-doc orage-lang pam-modules patterns-openSUSE-xfce patterns-openSUSE-xfce_basis patterns-openSUSE-xfce_laptop patterns-openSUSE-xfce_office pcsc-lite perl-URI pidgin pinentry-gtk2 polkit-gnome python-beautifulsoup python-httplib2 python-pyOpenSSL quadrapassel remmina remmina-lang remmina-plugin-rdp remmina-plugin-vnc remmina-plugin-xdmcp rhythmbox rhythmbox-lang ristretto ristretto-lang seahorse shotwell silc-toolkit simple-scan sound-juicer swell-foop system-config-printer t1lib thunar thunar-lang thunar-plugin-archive thunar-plugin-archive-lang thunar-plugin-media-tags thunar-plugin-media-tags-lang thunar-volman thunar-volman-branding-openSUSE thunar-volman-lang totem totem-browser-plugin totem-browser-plugin-gmp totem-lang totem-plugins tracker tracker-gui tracker-miner-files tracker-miner-firefox tracker-miner-thunderbird transmission-common transmission-gtk tumbler tumbler-lang typelib-1_0-Atk-1_0 typelib-1_0-GMenu-3_0 typelib-1_0-GdkPixbuf-2_0 typelib-1_0-GnomeKeyring-1_0 typelib-1_0-Gst-0_10 typelib-1_0-GstInterfaces-0_10 typelib-1_0-Gtk-3_0 typelib-1_0-Pango-1_0 typelib-1_0-Peas-1_0 typelib-1_0-PeasGtk-1_0 typelib-1_0-TotemPlParser-1_0 xdg-user-dirs-gtk xfce4-appfinder xfce4-appfinder-lang xfce4-dict xfce4-dict-lang xfce4-mixer xfce4-mixer-lang xfce4-notifyd xfce4-notifyd-branding-openSUSE xfce4-notifyd-lang xfce4-panel xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE xfce4-panel-lang xfce4-panel-plugin-brightness xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer xfce4-panel-plugin-notes xfce4-panel-plugin-notes-lang xfce4-panel-plugin-xkb xfce4-panel-plugin-xkb-lang xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-lang xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-screenshooter-doc xfce4-screenshooter-lang xfce4-session xfce4-session-branding-openSUSE xfce4-session-lang xfce4-settings xfce4-settings-branding-openSUSE xfce4-settings-lang xfce4-splash-branding-openSUSE xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-taskmanager-lang xfce4-terminal xfce4-terminal-lang xfconf xfconf-lang xfdesktop xfdesktop-branding-openSUSE xfdesktop-lang xfwm4 xfwm4-branding-openSUSE xfwm4-lang xorg-x11-server-extra xscreensaver xscreensaver-data yast2-control-center-gnome 

The following NEW patterns are going to be installed:
  base enhanced_base enhanced_base_opt fonts fonts_opt imaging imaging_opt multimedia multimedia_opt sw_management x11 x11_opt xfce xfce_basis xfce_office yast2_basis 

The following recommended packages were automatically selected:
  NetworkManager-gnome accountsservice alacarte brasero evince exo-lang exo-tools file-roller gcalctool gnome-games gnome-js-common gnome-themes-accessibility grilo-plugins gucharmap leafpad libfreerdp-1_0-plugins libgarcon-data libgarcon-lang libgnomesu libpeas-loader-python libpeas-loader-seed libpurple-lang libquvi-scripts libreoffice-gnome libxfce4ui-branding-openSUSE libxfce4ui-lang libxfce4ui-tools libxfce4util-lang libxfcegui4-lang libyui-gtk-pkg4 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-lang lightdm-lang orage orage-doc orage-lang patterns-openSUSE-xfce_office pcsc-lite pidgin pinentry-gtk2 python-beautifulsoup python-httplib2 remmina remmina-lang remmina-plugin-rdp remmina-plugin-vnc remmina-plugin-xdmcp rhythmbox rhythmbox-lang ristretto ristretto-lang seahorse shotwell simple-scan sound-juicer system-config-printer thunar thunar-lang thunar-plugin-archive thunar-plugin-archive-lang thunar-plugin-media-tags thunar-plugin-media-tags-lang thunar-volman thunar-volman-lang totem totem-browser-plugin totem-lang totem-plugins tracker tracker-gui tracker-miner-files transmission-gtk tumbler tumbler-lang xdg-user-dirs-gtk xfce4-appfinder-lang xfce4-dict xfce4-dict-lang xfce4-mixer xfce4-mixer-lang xfce4-notifyd-lang xfce4-panel xfce4-panel-lang xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer xfce4-panel-plugin-notes xfce4-panel-plugin-notes-lang xfce4-panel-plugin-xkb xfce4-panel-plugin-xkb-lang xfce4-power-manager-lang xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-screenshooter-doc xfce4-screenshooter-lang xfce4-session-lang xfce4-settings-lang xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-taskmanager-lang xfce4-terminal xfce4-terminal-lang xfconf xfconf-lang xfdesktop xfdesktop-lang xfwm4 xfwm4-lang xscreensaver yast2-control-center-gnome 

The following recommended patterns were automatically selected:
  enhanced_base_opt fonts_opt imaging imaging_opt multimedia multimedia_opt sw_management x11_opt xfce_office yast2_basis 

The following packages are recommended, but will not be installed due to conflicts or dependency issues:
  gnome-packagekit pk-update-icon 

The following packages are suggested, but will not be installed:
  xfce4-dev-tools xfce4-panel-plugin-battery xfce4-panel-plugin-cellmodem xfce4-panel-plugin-clipman xfce4-panel-plugin-cpufreq xfce4-panel-plugin-cpugraph xfce4-panel-plugin-datetime 
  xfce4-panel-plugin-dict xfce4-panel-plugin-diskperf xfce4-panel-plugin-eyes xfce4-panel-plugin-fsguard xfce4-panel-plugin-genmon xfce4-panel-plugin-mailwatch xfce4-panel-plugin-mount 
  xfce4-panel-plugin-mpc xfce4-panel-plugin-netload xfce4-panel-plugin-places xfce4-panel-plugin-quicklauncher xfce4-panel-plugin-radio xfce4-panel-plugin-screenshooter xfce4-panel-plugin-sensors xfce4-panel-plugin-smartbookmark xfce4-panel-plugin-systemload xfce4-panel-plugin-timeout xfce4-panel-plugin-timer xfce4-panel-plugin-verve xfce4-panel-plugin-wavelan xfce4-panel-plugin-weather xfce4-vala xfwm4-themes 

252 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 58.6 MiB. After the operation, additional 189.2 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): n

Installing a pattern guarantees a complete full functional DE. As you can see there are 252 packages to install, including some new patterns who installs some packages again. Have a look if you want all of them. You can view infos about packages with the command “zypper info ”. If you want not all of them you can exclude some recommended packages with the option “–no-recommends”:

zypper in --no-recommends -t pattern xfce
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  ConsoleKit ConsoleKit-x11 exo-branding-openSUSE exo-data exo-tools libexo-1-0 libgarcon-1-0 libgarcon-branding-openSUSE libgarcon-data libkeybinder0 libnotify-tools libthunarx-2-0 libunique-1_0-0 libwnck-1-22 libxfce4panel-1_0-4 libxfce4ui-1-0 libxfce4ui-tools libxfce4util6 libxfconf-0-2 libxfsm-4_6-0 libxklavier16 openSUSE-xfce-icon-theme patterns-openSUSE-xfce patterns-openSUSE-xfce_basis perl-URI thunar thunar-volman xfce4-appfinder xfce4-mixer xfce4-notifyd xfce4-notifyd-branding-openSUSE xfce4-panel xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer xfce4-power-manager xfce4-session xfce4-session-branding-openSUSE xfce4-settings xfce4-settings-branding-openSUSE xfce4-splash-branding-openSUSE xfconf xfdesktop xfdesktop-branding-openSUSE xfwm4 

The following NEW patterns are going to be installed:
  base enhanced_base fonts x11 xfce xfce_basis 

The following recommended packages were automatically selected:
  exo-tools libgarcon-data libxfce4ui-tools thunar thunar-volman xfce4-mixer xfce4-panel xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer xfconf xfdesktop xfwm4 

The following packages are recommended, but will not be installed (only required packages will be installed):
  alacarte brasero evince file-roller gcalctool gnome-games gnome-packagekit gucharmap leafpad lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter orage pidgin pk-update-icon remmina remmina-plugin-rdp remmina-plugin-vnc remmina-plugin-xdmcp rhythmbox ristretto seahorse shotwell simple-scan sound-juicer system-config-printer thunar-plugin-archive thunar-plugin-media-tags totem totem-browser-plugin tracker tracker-gui transmission-gtk tumbler xfce4-dict xfce4-panel-plugin-notes xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-taskmanager 

The following pattern is recommended, but will not be installed:
  xfce_office 

The following packages are suggested, but will not be installed:
  xfce4-dev-tools xfce4-panel-plugin-battery xfce4-panel-plugin-cellmodem xfce4-panel-plugin-clipman xfce4-panel-plugin-cpufreq xfce4-panel-plugin-cpugraph xfce4-panel-plugin-datetime 
  xfce4-panel-plugin-dict xfce4-panel-plugin-diskperf xfce4-panel-plugin-eyes xfce4-panel-plugin-fsguard xfce4-panel-plugin-genmon xfce4-panel-plugin-mailwatch xfce4-panel-plugin-mount 
  xfce4-panel-plugin-mpc xfce4-panel-plugin-netload xfce4-panel-plugin-notes xfce4-panel-plugin-places xfce4-panel-plugin-quicklauncher xfce4-panel-plugin-radio xfce4-panel-plugin-screenshooter xfce4-panel-plugin-sensors xfce4-panel-plugin-smartbookmark xfce4-panel-plugin-systemload xfce4-panel-plugin-timeout xfce4-panel-plugin-timer xfce4-panel-plugin-verve xfce4-panel-plugin-wavelan xfce4-panel-plugin-weather xfce4-vala xfwm4-themes 

44 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 5.4 MiB. After the operation, additional 16.8 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): n

Here you have only 44 packages to install and it is more minimalistic. But you have to decide whether it is enough or not. You can install additional packages later of cource.

But it will take me a lifetime to read information about 252 packages to decide whether or not i should install them !!!

On which basis can I decide whether or not it is sufficient ?
If I proceed with such a minimalistic install and that does not suit me, how am I suppose to choose the right additionnal packages to install ?

But nevertheless, thanks for your answer.

Bug.

P.S. I know the console/zypper mode is very powerfull… I’ll try it soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Do as we do. Install what comes with the patterns. When you need them, they are there and you won’t even notice. When you never use them, you won’t even notice. So what is the difference? Only some MB of diskspace.

OK, I agree about disk space. But that’s also about time of download when it comes to update/upgrade…

Thanks for all of your answers,

Bug.

Unfortunately it is not possible to remove a pattern with all it’s dependencies. The devs want it but it is not implemented yet. When I install such a pattern I copy the output of zypper before installing and save it for all cases.

Today ~60MB is nothing to speak of. In doubt I tend to install rather more than less as necessary.

zerum wrote:
> Bugomiel;2539085 Wrote:
>> OK, I agree about disk space. But that’s also about time of download
>> when it comes to update/upgrade…
> Today ~60MB is nothing to speak of. In doubt I tend to install rather
> more than less as necessary.

That depends on where you are. Or more specifically, on what kind of
connection you have. Some people here have very slow links and chances
are that anybody mentioning the issue has it as a real concern!

To the op
If you want less complication
Actually you can install a clean xfce, of course it will pull some dependencies from openSUSE to work.
I suggest you go to the xfce site, there you can find the list of xfce DE packages to be able to run it
It is kind of few packages, take note of it, then go to yast2 sofware management and pick it one by one
in yast.

Before I used to compile xfce in openSUSE whenever there was a new release and install it.

Edit:
In this link below you can see the xfce packages:
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/building
You will notice it is not that much packages to be able to make work.