How to install Bumblebeed on openSuse 12,2 - Optimus laptops

Do it on a fresh install with all updates made. I installed the 64 bit OS, network install (lan connection required), just adding “mc” (console tool) and selecting as bootloader grub instead grub2.
I made a backup of this installation and installed bumblebeed 2 times, to make sure it really works.

• make sure your laptop uses the Optimus technology:
    as root, the output should list two times “VGA compatible controller”
/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2 
  • install the repository
    Index of /repositories/home:/Overman79/openSUSE_12.2
    and just install everything in the repo. If you installed a suse 64 bit, on this way the daemon should also work on 32 bit applications, the devel packages could also be needed, who knows ?..

• reboot, If the laptop freezes on the new boot just power off and try again-
    Now check if bumblebeed is properly installed (of course is still not working)

1. Check for existence of the file “/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf”. By editing the file you will find towards the end “Driver=nvidia”.
  2. In yast-security and users - user and group management: Check for the existence of the bumblebee group and that you belong to.

systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
systemctl start bumblebeed.service

• reboot and check if bumblebeed is working:
  1. check for the existence of the file “/run/bumblebee,socket”
/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2 

my output:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:108d]
Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:124d] (rev ff)
02:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

optirun /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2 

my output:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:124d] (rev a1)
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

and done!

Notes:

• First of all, openSuse 12.2 is an amaizing distribution! Thanks, openSuse team.
  • The laptop user uses professionally mostly multimedia applications, legacy applications under wine and virtual machines. Until today the command “optirun” was never required, and that despite the internal monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution: the rendering is perfect. The 3D accelleration is fully sufficient and the gpu never started, like to say no ventilator noises.
  • The dkms package is now replaced with a packman version, also 100% working. By using packman versions for everything, the provided packman software works always.

enjoy!

On 2012-11-09 11:06, Capodastro wrote:

Howtos should go to the howto forum - the howto-submissions one, to be
exact.

Please move it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

ola carlos, es que no se como hacerlo. si me lo explicas por favor, gracias.

On 2012-11-09 15:36, Capodastro wrote:

> ola carlos, es que no se como hacerlo. si me lo explicas por favor,
> gracias.

Don’t you know how to post in a different subforum? Or sending a PM to a
moderator asking for a move?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

[QUOTE=robin_listas;2502629]On 2012-11-09 15:36, Capodastro wrote:

Don’t you know how to post in a different subforum? Or sending a PM to a
moderator asking for a move?

Dear, I don’t see even how to edit or delete this post. If you are moderator, you can do that without so much tam-tam. Else, I don’t doubt a moderator will do it as soon hi has time.
bye