How to install a BootSplash theme

Hi

I’m trying to install a KDE splash screen. I go to Menu → Config Desktop → General → Look and Feel → Splash Screen → Gte new themes. There I select and click “install” for “planet exp”. All goes well except the new splash screen does not appear in the list of available splash screens.

What am I missing?

Thanks
swerdna

Hey John,

Checked this, and I know what’s going on. Instead of the link to the theme-file, the ‘Install’ button links to a html file, i.e. the URL of the downloadpage on kde-look.org…For sure in this case.
It also goes wrong sometimes if the theme file does not have the proper structure. This is not checked on kde-look.org, so…

Solution: download the theme from kde-look.org, use the ‘Install Theme file’ option.

Isn’t it in YAST - > software → Install → … kde-themes , I know for my 11.2 KDE 4.3.5 that’s where I got the planet theme from if we are talking the one where it shows the earth and a tiny space shuttle orbiting…

Nope, there’s no package or pattern called kde-themes in 11.2, nor in 11.3. There is kdeartwork4-packages, but they don’t contain splashes. The distros splashscreens for KDE4 are in kdebase4-workspace.

that’s why I used …kde-themes cause I can’t remember the exact wording other than I searched YAST and found the themes mentioned in some package.

I stand corrected

Hey Gertjan.
Thanks for the tip.

I downloaded a splash theme from kde-look and unzipped it, examined the contents and compared them with a working theme in /home/john/.kde4/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/. The structure and contents of the download were not congruent with the working theme. Even so, I tried using KDE’s GUI splash installer, pointing the GUI to the zip file. It recognised part of the contents and also issued an error message and then stopped, aborted.

I conclude that KDE4 maybe needs a structure to the splash files that is not available in the theme I wanted.

I was only doing this because I was bored, and now have better things to do, now that a new day is here :slight_smile: Thanks

Why don’t you create your own theme. The themes are located in /etc/bootsplash/themes.

It is a bit fiddley to move the logo and the progressbar…all depending on your screen resulotion

then point to your new theme in
yast=>/etc/sysconfig Editor =>Systems=>Boot=>Theme newthemename

Greetings for OZ Brisbane;)

Thanks. I had a look in “themes”. As you hinted, too fiddly for me. I was only willing if it was a GUI-install sort of thing.

Greetings back from Oz – Centenary Suburbs.

On 2010-10-05 14:06, swerdna wrote:
>
> otto_oz;2233180 Wrote:
>> Why don’t you create your own theme. The themes are located in
>> /etc/bootsplash/themes.
>>
>> It is a bit fiddley to move the logo and the progressbar…all
>> depending on your screen resulotion
>>
>> then point to your new theme in
>> yast=>/etc/sysconfig Editor =>Systems=>Boot=>Theme newthemename
>>
>> Greetings for OZ Brisbane;)
>
> Thanks. I had a look in “themes”. As you hinted, too fiddly for me. I
> was only willing if it was a GUI-install sort of thing.

Your subject lines asks about BOOTsplash themes, but you are in fact asking about KDE themes.
Otto gave the correct answer for boot splash themes.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Thanks for the clarification. I see now that the KDE part of the equation only applies to the login screen.

There are 4 themes you can customise:

Grub Configuring the bootloader screen

Bootsplash as above

Login lives in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes

KDE splash lives in /home/yourusername/.kde4/share/apps/ksplash/Themes

cheers;)