How to get a USB webcam to work under SuSE 11.0

Webcam is a Dell SP2208WFP. I followed the steps used for SuSE 10.3 and I’m having no luck under SuSE 11.0. Using Yast → software management, I’ve installed gspcav-kmp-default and uvcvideo-kmp-default. Using Kopete–>Settings–>Configure–>Video the device listed is the SP2208 webcam. The picture in the box is either a pseudo-random pattern, or a black screen. Tweaking the control bars for saturation and brightness has no effect.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Both at the same time? You should NOT do that.

Typically one determines the driver that should be used by examining the vendor id and device id of a web cam.

Please ensure “usbutils” are installed, and then type “lsusb” and post here the output. From that we should be able to tell if your webcam is supported and what driver it should be using.

I removed the gspcav kernel tweak, and added usbutils, rebooted. No change. Here is a listing of lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0a5c:2101 Broadcom Corp. A-Link BlueUsbA2 Bluetooth
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 03f0:2a12 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05a9:2643 OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0424:2512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Note: the OmniVision device is the webcam in question.

I really appreciate the help OldCPU. I had a similar problem when I got the new monitor back in April, and you were the one the solved my problem.

I’m leaving work, and won’t get back to this until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.

The link I follow for guidance in setting up webcams is here:
HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

I searched here (UVC driver) and confmred your web cam (05a9:2643) was listed.
Linux UVC driver & tools

Out of curiousity, I searched here (gspca driver) for your web cam (05a9:2643) and confirmed it is NOT listed for the gspca driver:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

I need now to see what rpm versions you have installed. Please post here the output of typing the following in a gnome-terminal or a konsole:
rpm -qa | grep uvc
rpm -qa | grep spca
rpm -qa | grep jasper
uname -a

Here is the info you requested:

rpm -qa | grep uvc
luvcview-0.2.4-0.pm.4
uvcvideo-kmp-default-r200_2.6.25.11_0.1-2.4

rpm -qa | grep spca
(nothing matched)

rpm -qa | grep jasper
libjasper-1.900.1-98.1

uname -a
Linux linux-mlh6 2.6.25.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-10-21 16:30:26 +0200 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Please note the miss match between your 2.6.25.18-0.2 kernel, and the 2.6.25.11 driver. You do not have a good driver version.

If I do a webpin search for uvc I get: Webpin search results for uvc

which suggests you need to replace uvcvideo-kmp-default-r200_2.6.25.11_0.1-2.4 with uvcvideo-kmp-default (r260_2.6.25.18_0.2) from repository

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0_Update  

Do you need help there (replacing the wrong uvcvideo-kmp-default version with the correct version), or can you proceed from here?

I added the new distro, and upgraded per recommendations. Kppete doesn’t recognize the webcam.

rpm -qa | grep uvc
luvcview-0.2.4-0.pm.4
uvcvideo-kmp-default-r260_2.6.25.18_0.2-1.2

uname -a
Linux linux-mlh6 2.6.25.18-0.2-default …

KDE4 Kopete’s webcam support doesn’t work for me, too. But KDE3.5 Kopete and Skype do. I use a Logitech webcam with the gspcav driver.

Do you restart after installing the correct uvcvideo-kmp-default? You need to restart to unload the old incorrect modules and load the correct new module.

Is there a solution if my webcam is not in the UVC driver list and the the Gspca list

lsusb gives:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 041e:4034 Creative Technology, Ltd WebCam Instant

thank for any replies

From what I can see your webcam is in the gspca list:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Hi , I am using suse 10.0 and I ve got a webcam , creative PD1001

with lsusb I get

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 041e:400d Creative Technology, Ltd WebCam PD1001
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 15ca:00c3
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I am trying to find the drivers of the camera and to make it work
I downloaded ov511-2.29.tar.bz2 from Linux OV511 Driver - Download
but I didn’t make it. I also tried to find my webcam’s ID (041e:400d) in http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html but I didn’t
find it. I 'm trying to make my camera work in amsn(but it doesn’t find it) and Im also trying to find a linux program to work with my camera.Are there any suggestions?

Thank you

I too am trying to get a uvcvideo camera to work on 11.0
modprobe uvcvideo says (in dmesg)

uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol v4l_compat_translate_ioctl
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol v4l_compat_translate_ioctl
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_devdata
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_devdata
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_unregister_device
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_alloc
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_register_device
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_register_device
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_usercopy
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_usercopy
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_release
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_device_release

The kernel is 2.6.25.18-0.2-pae
installed:
rpm -qa | grep uvc
luvcview-0.2.4-0.pm.4
uvcvideo-kmp-pae-r260_2.6.25.18_0.2-1.2

I have tried many things but I always have version disagreement.
I know the camera works (tried on Debian etch and it was OK) so the problem remains the uvcvideo kernel module.

==John ff

It would appear that
uvcvideo-kmp-default (version r260_2.6.27.7_9-1.2) does not work, with kernel:

#uname -r
2.6.27.7-9-default

luvcview yeilds the following:
:~>luvcview
luvcview version 0.2.1
Video driver: x11
A window manager is available
video /dev/video0
ERROR opening V4L interface
: No such file or directory

This is unfortuate, as the uvcvideo driver worked perfectly in 10.3. Hopefully this problem gets corrected when the driver is updated for the new kernel.

Parthenolide,

I have got a problem similar to yours, I think. Have you seen this thread that I started about it: No video from Logitech Quickcam E3500 - openSUSE Forums

It appears that the problem had nothing to do with the camera or the Linux driver, at least for me. It’s Kopete from KDE4 that is having issues. I got the same error from luvcview when Kopete4 was running. Apparently, it keeps a “lock” on the video device?

At any rate, closing Kopete4 and then running luvcview, resulted in a perfect image from the camera. I then tried with Kopete from KDE3, and that works too, although the picture quality is not as good as luvcview.

In short, for me Kopete4 was the culrprit. Are you using that?

Stumbled in here from the ubuntu forums looking for a usb microphone solution. I’ll be leaving in a minute but before I do, I also have the Dell SP2208WFP and found this solution:

Try

$ sudo rmmod uvcvideo
$ sudo modprobe uvcvideo

two or three times. I have no idea why it works but when I modprobe uvcvideo twice it comes to life.

Off now. Shutting the door behind me…

Parthenolide wrote at 27-Oct-2008, 19:17
> …
> The picture in the box is either a pseudo-random pattern, or a black screen.
> …

I have exactly the same problem under 11.0 and 11.1. BUT the problem is not that the webcam doesn’t work it is that I don’t have the full speed of my USB-system when it comes to the webcam. It is only 12 Mb/s instead of 480 Mb/s as it has to be.

You can see that by launching the command “hwinfo --usb”.

I am fully sure the problem with the not working webcam is solved as soon as the problem with the USB speed is solved, because in the meantime I even got skype installed which showed me the random pattern.

By the way I have a Logitec QuickCam which worked fine under SuSE 10.3 and of course still does work fine under Windows.

Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin. Did you read this? Mini HOWTO for WEBCAMS (gspcav driver) - openSUSE Forums.
With the LD_PRELOAD thing my QuickCam (0x092f) works fine. The problem obviously has nothing to do with USB because according to hwinfo my webcam is always running at 12 Mbps. When you are on a 64-bit system you will have to install the 32-bit version of libv4l for skype. Good luck!

removed, since it was the wrong language … :wink:

Hi supertimorplusfort,

great, thanks a lot! Skype is working with LD_PRELOAD, but camorama doesn’t work and I still think that it should work as soon as the webcam is supported with 480 Mb/s.

When I start camorama with LD_PRELOAD, I get the following output:

ich@linux:~> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so camorama
ERROR: ld.so: object ‘/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(camorama:13797): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(camorama:13797): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `text != NULL’ failed

(camorama:13797): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `text != NULL’ failed

ich@linux:~>

So, the module can’t be preloaded for camorama, but anyway, skype was what I needed.

So, thank’s again to you and

cheers
Martin