How to downgrade to 11.2

11.3 has broken my Samsung mfp color laser. According to an Ubuntu forum, the problem is that the Samsung driver is incompatible with glibc 2.11. Since just about everything seems to be dependent on glibc, the only way I can envision fixing my problem is going back to 11.2 and waiting until someone comes up with a fix to the Samsung driver problem.

Other than doing a clean install of 11.2, which would be a royal pain, is there a simple way to downgrade back to 11.2, or at least the parts of it dependent on glibc? Since I was able to use the update option to move from 11.2 to 11.3, can I insert the 11.2 DVD and choose update? Or, perhaps, is there a particular set of 11.2 repositories that I can add to my 11.3 repositories, choose the 2.10 version of glibc and have the dependencies work out properly? I tried adding the download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/ repository, but Yast seemed to want to change my whole KDE installation from x86_64 to i586. Is there a group of other repositories that would make the repository route work?

Which part of the printer do you need the most - printing or scanning.
If it’s printing, 11.3 cups should probably work with the 11.2 cups ppd file. Scanning is where you meay find the problem.

As you guessed, downgrading isn’t that easy. You are going to have to re-install.
As long as /home is on a separate partition, it shouldn’t be too difficult though.

BTW, I have am SCX-4200 and I see Samsung no longer list linux drivers, so I wouln’t hold my breath for Samsung to support it. Samsung UK had the line when I bought my printer that they didn’t support linux, although the box said it worked in linux! (At that time the supplied samsung software didn’t work with 11.1.)

You can try posting in the hardware section for help on the printer and you may get a response.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not the ppd, its the Samsung rastertosamsungplc filter which no longer runs. I did, in fact, downgrade to the 11.2 Cups installation, which didn’t help. According to the folks on the Ubuntu forum, they are working on the problem and hope to figure out a fix by mid-August. Samsung itself, no longer seems to want to support Linux.

Curiously enough, scanning, which I use infrequently, works fine.

That’s the impression I got from Samsung UK when my scx-4200 didn’t work. Even making an issue of the fact that the box said ‘linux support’ was my reason for buying it never made any difference.
Long term, it’s best to stay with brands that do support linux., even though they may be more expensive.

Likewise. I bought my printer in December, 2009 after checking the Samsung site for drivers. Since I found one dated 11/2009, I assumed I’d be ok. Only afterward did I hear that further support would probably not be forthcoming. From now on, unless I find a driver in CUPS or available through Turboprint, I won’t buy.

Off topic I know but:
When I bought the samsung scx4200 it was to replace the hp4L I have had since new. Although only 4ppm, the speed is accepatable, it still works fine and is still a better quality and cheaper to run than most inkjets.
Since got an hp Busines Ink Jet 3000. The quality is better than most laserjets and cartridges last for several thousand pages (and are cheap via fleabay).
Also for networked printers, hplij printing in linusx is far better than their windows offerings for netwoked printers.

On 2010-07-27 01:06, bearymore wrote:
>
> whych;2196506 Wrote:
>> That’s the impression I got from Samsung UK when my scx-4200 didn’t
>> work. Even making an issue of the fact that the box said ‘linux support’
>> was my reason for buying it never made any difference.
>> Long term, it’s best to stay with brands that do support linux., even
>> though they may be more expensive.
>
> Likewise. I bought my printer in December, 2009 after checking the
> Samsung site for drivers. Since I found one dated 11/2009, I assumed I’d
> be ok. Only afterward did I hear that further support would probably not
> be forthcoming. From now on, unless I find a driver in CUPS or available
> through Turboprint, I won’t buy.

Absolutely.

Did you try Turboprint on that printer, by the way?

To your downlgrade question: Not possible. My recommendation is always to do a full backup before
attempting an upgrade or new version install. Now you know why. And my other recomendation is to
test things on a spare partition of the same computer, before attempting the upgrade, lest things do
not work and you waste time and effort. Lacking that, test at least with a live CD.

In theory, you could use “zypper dup” with the 11.2 repos in place, and it should downgrade every
package, but… nobody has tried it that I know or cared to write about it (to my very limited
knowledge). You would be going into unchartered territory.

A better chance, if you have some gigabytes of disk to spare, is to install vmware or virtual box,
and install a minimal 11.2 on it (minimal X). On that, you’d install your printer drivers, and share
the printer via cups in the guest to the cups in the host. It is a hassle, but it will work. I’ll
bet a coffee on it - and no more than a coffee, just in case, you know that computers have a mind of
their own >:-)

( Ok, it might work O:-) )

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

@bearymore
Just seen this thread for an ml 1640. Maybe it helps by givning you a clue on what to try.

After upgrade to 11.3 fails to print with samsung ml 1640 printer

I know my scx-4200 with 11.1 and the original samsung driver also had permissions problems.

I don’t know enough about how the printer driver gets invoked, but might you be able to grab some old libraries from 11.2 and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for just the printer driver or daemon?

Unfortunately, it’s not a permissions problem - one of the first things I checked.

In fact, the printer does work on a Windows XP guest I have installed using vmware. Unfortunately, I can’t get a shared directory to work with vmware player.

I’m not sure how the LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution would work. Create a script setting an environment variable and have the daemon run that instead of the actual rastertosamsung program which is what seems to be not working?

If printing from this Samsung printer eventually runs some program, and that program needs libraries from 11.2, then the program may be able to be replaced with a shell script that overrides the location to search for libraries and then runs the real program. Something like:

#!/bin/bash

Search here for libaries - old version of glib etc.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/myOld11.2lib/

Invoke real program passing all arguments

realProgram “$@”

Note you can find out the required libraries by using ldd

ldd /path/to/real/program/realProgram

Another possibility - perhaps you could install a small 11.2 virtual machine environment - seems like overkill, but I presume it would only be a temporary measure.

This is all speculative because I don’t know much about the Samsung driver, nor do I play with virtual machines that much.

Thanks for this. I will give it a try.

On 2010-07-28 20:06, bearymore wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, it’s not a permissions problem - one of the first things
> I checked.
>
> In fact, the printer does work on a Windows XP guest I have installed
> using vmware. Unfortunately, I can’t get a shared directory to work with
> vmware player.

Try a more modern windows, I think they can export the printer in a manner cups loves. Or in XP, via
samba.

> I’m not sure how the LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution would work. Create a
> script setting an environment variable and have the daemon run that
> instead of the actual rastertosamsung program which is what seems to be
> not working?

No, I don’t think it would. The stack would have to be compiled against the old library, I think.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))