How to Downgrade GDM in openSuse 11.2 to one used in 11.1

So heres my problem. Im a linux user who likes to customize my desktop highly. Thats one reason I use linux. I’ve been into Suse since 10.3 and has never been dissapointed with it. If it ever came close to being a dissapointing distro it is now.

The GDM 2.28 present in opensuse 11.2 looks plain old ugly. Whats worse is that you cant even theme it or configure it since gdm-setup is not present.

So as any sane person would do I googled it. Thats how I learned that this new GDM 2.28 is a rewrite (written from scratch/lacking a lot of the old version’s features) and replaces the old GDM which supported a lot of features like theming.

So I know now that you simply cannot customize the new GDM. So I opted to downgrade to the old GDM but yast does not list it. >:(

So my question is How do I downgrade to the old GDM?

I know the users of Ubuntu Karmik Koala face the same problem. But it seems they are able to install the old GDM via apt-get. So why cant an ol’ lizard do the same? :slight_smile:

Somebody please help before the new GDM kills me with its uglyness.

P.S. The openSUSE 11.2 default gnome/grub theme looks soooo **** ugly or is it just me?

Hi
Have a read here;
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=587750

You would need download the gdm 2.28 src rpm, unpack and add the
patches and rebuild the rpm to install…

Looks fine to me, I just want to login and get to my desktop :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
up 1 day 2:22, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.35, 0.33
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Thanks for ur reply malkom. I read the whole post. It seems this is how to patch/hack the current GDM to bring in a gdmsetup equivalent config utility which will allow me to perform the bare necessities. However any GDM update via yast will kill these changes wont it? Talk abt living on the bleeding edge :slight_smile:

Furthermore I read that the old GDM 2.20 was being maintained as a seperate branch. This would be a safer option wouldnt it. I mean it has been stable for a long time hasnt it?

Any suggestions on how to downgrade to this old stable GDM version? Would i be able to install an older verion from the opensuse build service?

Dunno why these ppl keep trying to reinvent the wheel. If you are writing something from scratch then name it something else and let the users select which to install. Atleast that is the linux way isnt it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

How do you fit urself and a pc in such a small trashcan? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

If and when it got updated, yes it would :frowning:

Not sure how a downgrade would be possible as all of the additional
items that have been added to 2.28.

You could either ask on the mailing lists (openSUSE user) or perhaps
request via openFATE to see if someone is interested in patching it.
http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenFATE

P.P.S It’s a Tardis model trash can, plenty of space :wink:

up 1 day 12:31, 2 users, load average: 0.60, 0.72, 0.73

Hmmph for the time being I guess there isnt a way to theme the current GDM or downgrade it. This Sucks… :frowning:

The old GDM was stable. If it aint broke why fix it? Sometimes life doesnt make any sense :smiley:

Thanks for the help malcolm. (Sigh)

Hi
So what do you want to actually do with gdm, just the background?

up 4 days 3:43, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.46, 0.58

I need to make it themeable again. I hear its impossible with the new GDM 2.28… :frowning: so i guess i need to change the way GDM looks. But even changing the yuky dark green background would be a start.

Hi
Have a look here at Method 2, it should let you make all the changes
you require;
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome_2.28_Changes#Changing_Background_Image

Note, you need to be root user though by using su - from a terminal.

up 6 days 7:31, 3 users, load average: 0.24, 0.22, 0.23

Thanks a bunch malcolm. That did the trick :smiley:

I’m posting that portion of the text so that it’ll help everyone if that link gets broken somehow

Changing Background Image

Gnome configuration value:

/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename

Show current background image:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename

Set a new background picture:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /data/pictures/Grassy.jpg

Alternatively, you can change your wallpaper by copying the picture you want to the folder /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome and renaming it to “background-default.jpg”
Changing GTK Theme

/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme

Show current gtk theme:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme

Set a new gtk theme (you can find them in /usr/share/themes):

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme Redmond

Changing Icon Theme

/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme

Show current icon theme:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme

Set a new icon theme (You can find them in /usr/share/icons):

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme Tangerine

Changing Icon

/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name

Show current icon name:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --get /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name

Set a new icon name:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name gnome-globe

The GDM icon names are the icons listed in the icon theme’s folder in /usr/share/icons. For example, if your icon theme is gnome, look in /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable to find the icon of your choice. Only the name of the icon in this directory is necessary.
Removing list of user names

/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list

Disable the list:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

Enable the list:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list false

Enabling Compiz

/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/wm_use_compiz

Enable Compiz:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/wm_use_compiz true

Disable Compiz:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/wm_use_compiz false

Disabling Startup Programs

To see the startup programs run this command:

ls /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

Each file represents a program that will run at startup.

To disable a program, delete it’s file. For example:

sudo rm /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-mag.desktop

If you’re not sure about wether you want the program or not, You can backup the file and restore it later.

You can also add *.desktop files of other programs that you want to load with the login screen. You might want to load fusion-icon for example, or some kind of desklet such as a floating clock.

To get a *.desktop file for a program right click it in the gnome menu and choose “Add this launcher to desktop”, This will copy the *.desktop file to the desktop. You can then move it like this:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/gcalctool.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

I was also able to get the yukky default opensuse 11.2 GRUB background changed via gfxboot using an 800*600 jpg of my own choice. Here’s the link to that if anyone’s interested.

Gfxboot - openSUSE