How to disable the TU116 audio device?

I have a very nice Intel audio chip on my motherboard that I have used in the past to send audio to a stereo+nice AV speakers. Since moving off Leap 15.3 – first onto Tumbleweed and, lately, to Leap 15.6rc – I’ve had no luck getting any of the sound software to use that chip. The Nvidia TU116 device seems to get priority which sends audio to the tinny speakers in my Asus monitor. And I can only get that device to work if I go back into the BIOS and disable the onboard Intel audio altogether – a huge step backwards.

In addition, since the sound layer cannot make up its mind over which sound card to use, there is a blinking series of messages appearing on the monitors as though the sound software can’t choose amongst the sound cards. (These messages are annoying as hell.)

I suspect this is a Pipewire-related problem. If removing all vestiges of Pipewire from the system is the solution, what are the detailed steps needed to accomplish that. I’d rather revert back to Jack+Pulseaudio than deal with the battle of the sound cards.

What can be done to either prioritize the Intel chip over Nvidia’s or to completely disable the Nvidia device?

TIA for any tips, hints, pointers to HOWTOs, etc.

Hello,

Pipewire is not the problem.
I had the same problem as you with a Nvidia quadro 4200 and a Xonar DGX.

I found via command ‘lsmod |grep snd’ that the Nvidia used the snd_hda_intel driver. I black listed it via file in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

First create a file ( as root) in /etc/modprobe.d

# cd /etc/modprobe.d
/etc/modprobe.d # touch 50-sound-blacklist.conf

edit it with your prefered editor and enter

blacklist  sound_driver 

where sound_driver is the name found via lsmod.
After reboot verify that the correct driver is loaded.
My config gives

# aplay -l 
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** 
card 1: DGX [Xonar DGX], device 0: Multichannel [Multichannel] 
 Subdevices: 1/1 
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 
card 1: DGX [Xonar DGX], device 1: Digital [Digital] 
 Subdevices: 1/1 
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and

# cat /proc/asound/modules 
1 snd_oxygen

# cat /proc/asound/cards 
1 [DGX            ]: CMI8786 - Xonar DGX 
                     C-Media Oxygen HD Audio at 0x7000, irq 51

As you can see the Xonar card is identified as card 1 and use the driver snd_oxygen.
But the driver seems needing card 0.
So I created a second file /etc/modprobe.d/50-alsa.conf with the content

options snd_oxygen index=1

After that the Xonar sound card worked perfectly

Hope this help
Philippe

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.