How to determine which texlive packages to install?

Starting with openSUSE 12.3 texlive has been split into a great number of separate packages. Now I have problems to find which packages I need.

Example:

TeXing some old source file complains that the font cmb14 could not be found. As this has worked in the past, there is clearly some package missing.

Solution: Install texlive-sauter and texlive-sauterfonts

The solution is not obvious at all and even using grep on a previous system will not find any result for ‘cmb14’ to give a hint. To make things worse, yast search will not show what files are provided by a package as long as the package is not installed. Is there any clever way to find the missing package starting from the TeX error message?

I had a similar problem. I searched around and managed to come up with the right package.

Check out this blog post: Easy way to install TeX packages for openSUSE 12.3

I have not tested whether that works, but it is worth a try.

I think I am regretting this change to tex/latex. Some of what I use comes from browsing the documentation on my computer. And now, with the new packaging, the documentation is not there for packages that I did know about so didn’t install. I suppose I can browse Internet documentation, but I think the old way (installing the whole thing) had some advantages. Maybe there’s a meta-package that installs everything. If not, then there should be.

Thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. Works mostly (but not in my example case above).

There is an earlier thread started on this: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/484928-kile-lyx-texlive.html

Basically you have two choices; use software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.3 to select package groups or use YaST>Software management for individual packages - if you do the latter, you will get all the other packages in the same package group.