how to connect wireless to internet, via konsole?

hi

sorry if you’ve read this already. i just realized there’s a special forum for wireless.

i am new to linux and i just installed opensuse 11.0 i also got my w200 (orinoco usb) to work, thanks to this tutorial: Lucid Tips » Wireless using W200 on openSUSE 10.3

but it says to:
Quote:
we need to disable use of KNetwork Manager
right now, my wireless card powers on and is detected. i just don’t know how to connect to an WEP protected access point.

how do i connect via konsole? the card is on and is detected. but when i ran “iwlist eth1 accesspoint” it says something like it cant find an accesspoint. what should i do?

this is urgent! help is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance =]

unlimitd wrote:
> hi
>
> sorry if you’ve read this already. i just realized there’s a special
> forum for wireless.
>
> i am new to linux and i just installed opensuse 11.0 i also got my w200
> (orinoco usb) to work, thanks to this tutorial: ‘Lucid Tips » Wireless
> using W200 on openSUSE 10.3’ (http://tinyurl.com/6ahx8t)
>
> but it says to:
> Quote:
> we need to disable use of KNetwork Manager
> right now, my wireless card powers on and is detected. i just don’t
> know how to connect to an WEP protected access point.

The posting is just plain WRONG. You do NOT need to disable
NetworkManager. What you do need to do is install wpa_supplicant,
which seems illogical; however, NM needs to have it available even
though it won’t be used. Use the Add Connection in KNM to configure.

> how do i connect via konsole? the card is on and is detected. but when
> i ran “iwlist eth1 accesspoint” it says something like it cant find an
> accesspoint. what should i do?

To connect via konsole, you need to configure the complete interface
with YaST. That is more trouble than using NM.

Larry

i have intsalled wpa_supplicant. but after the wireless gets connected, the whole system freezes. had to force a restart.

lucidTipster has posted updated instructions that are specific to OpenSUSE 11.0 Lucid Tips » Wireless using W200 on openSUSE 11.0

i got wireless to work using lucidtips instructions - however i would really like to use KNetwork Manager but it hangs the systems. could you please post instructions on how to overcome the hand problem.

thanks in advance

i got wireless to work and connect to the internet using lucidTipsters instructions (Lucid Tips » Wireless using W200 on openSUSE 11.0) however I would like to use KNetwork Manager. If I enable it the system hangs. Could you please post instructions on how I can overcome this hang problem.

thanks in advance.

giveitatry wrote:
>
> i got wireless to work and connect to the internet using lucidTipsters
> instructions (‘Lucid Tips » Wireless using W200 on openSUSE 11.0’
> (http://tinyurl.com/5jl7rf)) however I would like to use KNetwork
> Manager. If I enable it the system hangs. Could you please post
> instructions on how I can overcome this hang problem.
>
> thanks in advance.

The first thing I would do is use YaST Software Management to
reinstall NetworkManager. I have been using NM and KNM since 10.3 and
have never had a hang with it. As a result, I have no idea what might
be the problem other than a faulty install. Did you do a media check
on the CD or DVD that you used to install 11.0?

Larry