how to connect mac osx to linux box vwith vnc or something else

Hi there guys
i’m newbe in linux world and need to do staff like samba and etc on linux box using my macbook with osx 10.5.8 i was trying to setup vnc on linux box through YaST but nothing funny thing is that i can remotely connect to osx without any problems.
i have no idea how to do it backwards
i believe that i’m missing something very simple as usually
hope someone can help
thank’s

PS: i have firewall down on linux box and samba is working ok i used KRDC to connect to osx and it works just fine

Ok i got as far as connect osx with build in desktop sharing …
Well this option is not good to me as i can’t leave box with root login on all the time. i need to get into box whenever i want.
As far osx as BSD brother is easy to talk to linux box but this VNC think is killing me please help…

Try nx to run a Linux desktop on your Mac.
NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software
The Mac will be the client (where you sit) and the Server will be your Linux PC (where the server resides - somewhere on your LAN or on the Internet as far as a continent away).

Hmm thank’s when back from work i’ll try this soft hope that think’s will go ok

So i got nx from their site and installed all packages node/client/server

Now i’m struggling with setup of server i can’t find anythink which will setup linux box to be open for ssh connection
I believe that it need to be add user to some sort of conf file for connection authentication etc… but i got only nx connection wizard/session adm/client so i can’t find nx server administration or setup or something similar

So my last question is how to setup nx server that i can connect to it a do admin stuff on it without any hassle, i’m having both linux and macbook on same same subnet. I’m running no firewall on linux box.

Please help me as i will send you an karmapoint’s for the future :slight_smile: as i’m desperate
thank’s lot

nx typically “just works”.

Be certain you have port#22 open in the firewall in the server.

Also ensure you have started the ssh daemon on the nx server.

Once it is started, from the user/client PC you just run the nx wizard and it sets up everything you need.

Thank’s lot stupido me didn’t check ssh it self but as i understand you can’t connect with root account hmmm strange but understandable any way now i’m connected and it looks good for the first time :slight_smile: cool and thank’s lot for replay and for help 1000000000000000000 karmapoint’s are flying to you ma8

Glad to read its working.

Using the root account is typically a bad idea. Hope you manage to grow out of any tendency to use it.

Well i know but i’m new to linux and like to learn all stuff necessary for network/system admin. So i’m using root quite lot now as i’m tired to type passwd and i’m forgetting sudo as well :slight_smile:
anyway thank’s oldcpu

On 03/29/2010 05:16 PM, joergecat wrote:
>
> Well i know but i’m new to linux and like to learn all stuff necessary
> for network/system admin. So i’m using root quite lot now as i’m tired
> to type passwd and i’m forgetting sudo as well :slight_smile:
> anyway thank’s oldcpu

Just remember that as root you are only a typo away from destroying the system,
as well as leaving a HUGE opening for malware. Typing that password is cheap
insurance.

Thank’s for advice about root, security is first think i know :slight_smile:

but this time i’m getting error from nx server(i think that it is nx)
xlib generic event extension missing on display 1001.0

this started after 6 hours of connection ???
it have something to do with yast i think as i’m getting this error when leaving/closing yast submenu.
is it common or it,something went wrong???

PS:out of topic ,just looking for some nice book or video training for linux admin as i’ll be finishing ccna course and like to move forward to linux network/system administration as i don’t want to see win anymore(but have to get mcse anyway as win is very well spread virus)