how to configure Canon MF5950dw printer

I have just upgraded from 13.2 to 42.2 . In 13.2 I had my Canon MF5950dw working as a printer only. (the MF stands for multifunction) It wasn’t perfect, but I could print. Now, I can’t find a driver for this printer. I’ve looked in the installed printer drivers and the gimp-print (former guttenberg) site with no success. The printer is connected as a network printer with a static IP address (192.168.1.32). Any suggestions for how t get this printer working?

Thanks,

Mark

A quick search online turned up information suggesting that the Canon UFR II/UFR II LT Printer Driver for Linux V3.30 is required.

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100270810.html
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/black-and-white-laser/imageclass-mf5950dw/imageclass-mf5950dw

Download the tarball and extract the contents, then run the installer.

Just to assist a bit further, I found a few warnings/issues with using the installer (as openSUSE not officially supported). Instead, I opted for installing the RPM packages manually with zypper to take care of the dependencies…

For reference…

# zypper in /home/dean/Downloads/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V330_uk_EN/64-bit_Driver/RPM/cndrvcups-common-3.70-1.x86_64.rpm  
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 3 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  cndrvcups-common libpangox-1_0-0 pangox-compat

3 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 17.8 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 25.6 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package pangox-compat-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64                                                           (1/3),   4.0 KiB ( 11.2 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: pangox-compat-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64.rpm ............................................................................................[done]
Retrieving package libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64                                                         (2/3),  50.1 KiB (154.1 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64.rpm ..........................................................................................[done]
Retrieving package cndrvcups-common-3.70-1.x86_64                                                           (3/3),  17.7 MiB ( 25.5 MiB unpacked)
Checking for file conflicts: ..............................................................................................................[done]
(1/3) Installing: pangox-compat-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64 ..........................................................................................[done]
(2/3) Installing: libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-9.2.x86_64 ........................................................................................[done]
(3/3) Installing: cndrvcups-common-3.70-1.x86_64 ..........................................................................................[done]
linux-kgxs:/home/dean # zypper in /home/dean/Downloads/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V330_uk_EN/64-bit_Driver/RPM/cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-3.30-1.x86_64.rpm 

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  cndrvcups-ufr2-uk

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 4.2 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 39.0 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-3.30-1.x86_64                                                          (1/1),   4.2 MiB ( 39.0 MiB unpacked)
Checking for file conflicts: ..............................................................................................................[done]
(1/1) Installing: cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-3.30-1.x86_64 .........................................................................................[done]

Thank you…I followed your advice on downloading and installing. Here is what I did:

**mark:/home/mark/Downloads #** zypper in /home/mark/Downloads/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V330_us_EN/64-bit_Driver/RPM/cndrvcups-common-3.70
-1.x86_64.rpm

The following 3 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  cndrvcups-common libpangox-1_0-0 pangox-compat

3 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 17.8 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 25.6 MiB will be used.
**Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): **y
Retrieving package pangox-compat-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64                                                (1/3),   4.0 KiB ( 11.2 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: pangox-compat-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64.rpm .................................................................................[done]
Retrieving package libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64                                              (2/3),  50.3 KiB (154.1 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64.rpm ...............................................................................[done]
Retrieving package cndrvcups-common-3.70-1.x86_64                                                 (3/3),  17.7 MiB ( 25.5 MiB unpacked)
Checking for file conflicts: ....................................................................................................[done]
(1/3) Installing: pangox-compat-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64 ...............................................................................[done]
(2/3) Installing: libpangox-1_0-0-0.0.2-10.4.x86_64 .............................................................................[done]
(3/3) Installing: cndrvcups-common-3.70-1.x86_64 ................................................................................[done]

My printer is on the LAN at 192.168.1.32 (my computer is at 192.168.1.1)/

Then I went into YAST, but I could not find the MF5950DW printer listed in the “FInd and assign a driver” dialog. Did you choose a different printer, or am I missing a step? The “Add New Printer Configuration” shows: Model: Canon Connection: socket://192.168.1.32:9100 Description: created by the connection wizard.

Many thanks,
Mark

Then I went into YAST, but I could not find the MF5950DW printer listed in the “FInd and assign a driver” dialog. Did you choose a different printer, or am I missing a step? The “Add New Printer Configuration” shows: Model: Canon Connection: socket://192.168.1.32:9100 Description: created by the connection wizard.

Many thanks,
Mark

I only got as far as installing the drivers as I don’t have a Canon printer to test with. I don’t usually use the YaST printer config utility. Instead, I use the CUPS web interface (via a browser) to configure…

http://localhost:631/admin

If I ‘pretend’ to configure, then at the make/model selection I find this Canon model available: ‘Canon MF5900 Seires UFRII LT ver3.0 (en)’

I think that the socket:// backend should be ok for this printer, but just to be sure run

nmap 192.168.1.32

This will show which ports the printer is listening on and thus a good idea of compatible network backends. Post the output here.

Reading your last post again, I note that you installed the ‘cndrvcups-common’ package, but did you also install the required ‘cndrvcups-ufr2-uk’ package?

I’m very sorry to have waited so long to reply. Taking your suggestions, the printer is now working. Many, many thanks.

Mark.

Thanks for the update. Glad to have been of assistance.