How to build package against a packman-package?

Hi,

I’ve started a VDR-repository where I want to add a lot of plugins. For the vdr-xine-plugin I need to compile against the libxine from packman. Is there a simple way in the BuildService or do I have to build my own libxine?

Or should I go the dirty way and add the libxine-rpm to the sources and install it in the spec? >:)

I hope someone can help me.

Greets

PS: If someone is interested: home:balta3:vdr(ext/devel/develext)
This are my first steps in building rpms and using the buildservice so if you have suggestions please tell me :wink:

If packman were an OBS project, you could set “link” or “aggregate” the package to your repo.

But as packman is independent of the OBS, your only way is to build the packages providing dependencies within your repositoy, too.

Or should I go the dirty way and add the libxine-rpm to the sources and install it in the spec?

No way in hell (even if that would work, which I very much doubt).

Hi
It might be better to ask your question on the buildservice mailing
list as there may be patent
issues, see here <http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List>

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
up 2 days 22:48, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.27, 0.20
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Yes you’re right, so I shouldn’t build my own xine. But couldn’t I link to the libxine-package from openSUSE:11.1 and replace the mentioned vdr-xine-patch by the current version? If I leave the rest of the spec, there shouldn’t be any patentissues I think.

However, the user has to install the packman-package because DVB is broadcasted in MPEG…

Hi
Just add it as a Requires: section and then reference a version number
=> xxxxxx assuming the packman one is greater.

up 3 days 9:49, 1 user, load average: 3.43, 2.65, 1.21

Hi,

I’ve found this article: Nabble - opensuse-packaging - home:RedDwarf:fakePackman

Maybe this helps :slight_smile:

Hi
I think it’s best you ask the build service, the other option is to add
a package request to packman?

You could also emulate the obs locally, then build and host somewhere?

Another option is to create a nosrc rpm which again you would need to
ask about.

up 3 days 11:24, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.27, 0.25

home:RedDwarf:fakePackman hasn’t a libxine package. I could build a libxine package with better than default openSUSE codec support, but it would still not have everything the Packman packages have since libxine itself implements some probably patented stuff. So it doesn’t makes sense.

Still it seems to work. I think right now I’m the only source of Amarok 2.1 with MP4 support. If anybody else is using it I would like to know.

But sure, you can build against the libxine from openSUSE and it will work with the libxine from Packman… I don’t think you need to do anything extra. It’s user responsability to install a libxine with MPEG support if they want to decode MPEG streams…