How to adjust CD mounting behavior

That pic of the kde switch is old, only to show the switching method

Stable is 4.3.5 but lacks some things folks might want like amarok2.2
But Backports can supply that
let me check my Box it has stable repos…(goes to check)
No settings like in my 4.4.0 Laptop

Yes, I know the switching method (in my mind it is ‘yours’ because you showed it and it’s use to the community) and use it frequently. It is realy usefull.

So the conclusion is: somewhere there is a KDE device manager that can be configured to mount without asking, but it is not in Stable.

Correct? When yes, is it then in the package plasmoid-devicemanager and where is that package to be found?

It is in my factory community
But NOT installed

Check stable community

I am sorry, I messed this up a little by claiming only ‘plasmoid-devicemanager’ was able to set automounting; obviously this is not the case, at least with KDE4.4. Sorry for that, I should have checked that with more caution. It’s even more configurable than the extra-plasmoid.

Obviously one still needs this plasmoid when running KDE4.3.5, though (and yes, it’s available for any KDE4-Version via KDE4-Community).

Here’s a comment from the developer of ‘plasmoid-devicemanager’:

This applet is discontinued!! Since I’m now working directly on the KDE’s Device Notifier I won’t add any new feature to this one. I’ll fix serious bugs, though.

Device Manager - KDE Store

Thanks for this clarification.

To summarize: When one wants be able to configure the KDE Device Notifier to mount immediatly and not after saying so, one needs either KDE 4.4 or one needs to install the package ‘plasmoid-devicemanager’ from the KDE 4 Community repo.

Thats a good development. Thanks.

Well, That was exciting. I installed the plasmoid-devicemanager. As soon as I activated it, it took all four of my CPU cores up to about 90%. It has effectively disabled my KDE login. The only thing that have been able to do is to ctl-alt-del to switch to a Gnome session. How the &*+% do I remove this monster? Or is this a sign that it is time to give up on KDE?

Rich

Go into yast and remove it.

As soon as I activated it, it took all four of my CPU cores up to about 90%.

Interesting indeed, but you should brood about the reasons for such behaviour… it’s not very common, this thingy is used a lot. Sounds almost like some kind of hardware-failure (just guessing of course).