How stable is Tumbleweed?

How stable is Tumbleweed? I REALLY don’t like fixed releases and I’m looking forward to install it. I did the upgrade recommended in this apge (which took more than 1 hour to complete) and I haven’t found any problems aside the time it takes to complete the upgrade. Of course, rolling releases will face a problem somewhere down the road, and this is why I’m asking here, looking forward to see the experience of the older users.

I’ve used Debian Testing and Unstable for some time, they break a lot.
I’d use Mint Debian edition but I don’t like how it comes filled with codecs and non-free programs.
Arch, on the other hand, rarely faces a problem, most of which we only need to wait 1 to 3 days (if we didn’t read the news about a bug, before updating). About once a year Arch users will have to manually change something because something on Arch is changing, but everything is documented on a step-by-step guide. So Arch is really good, but it doesn’t support AMD’s drivers, and that’s why I changed to openSUSE, I’m really liking it and decided to stick with it as my one and only system :slight_smile:

So, how often do things break? When it happens, how well documented the breakages are? Are there any RSS feed, mail news, or a general news page that I can read before updating Tumbleweed? On Debian, for instance, there’s a tool called “apt listbugs” which list the bugs on ‘bugs.debian.org’ (or something like that) and displays those bugs if they exist in a package the user is trying to update. Is there something similar on openSUSE?

Regards,
Junior

I started using it around May 29 2014. It was called “factory” at that time.

Since then, I have seen two problems.

1: For a while last summer, I was unable to login to Gnome, though KDE continued to work. This was apparently due to a problem with the Intel driver and only affected systems with Intel graphics. It was fixed a few weeks later with an xorg update (or was it an Intel driver update?).

2: At the end of last December, I found that I could not boot the new 3.18 kernel. I could still boot the older kernel. This was related to my use of encryption. I was unable to answer the request for the encryption key during boot. I investigated this, found a work-around, and reported it as bug 911319. It was fixed in January. It was a matter of needing to add another module to the "initrd: file. It only affected systems with USB3 hardware. But note that my keyboard was using a USB2 device, but the USB3 driver was still used because of the particular hardware arrangement.

I’m inclined to say that’s pretty good. The OpenQA testing is working out quite well.

I too use encryption, but I have an old PS2 Keyboard laying around. Guess I’ll keep it, just in case.

Goo to know there weren’t lots of problems! Thank you. I have an AMD card, I hope I don’t face problems with it.
Well, if anything happens I just need to open my encrypted LVM and save my data to my other encrypted disks.

Regards,
Junior