How many of you single,dual and/or multi boot?

I personally single boot, but used to dual boot when I had 1 PC. I did that for those rare just in cases, now that I have 2nd PC I just have that. Even then I’m curious how many of you out there have more that 1 distro with/without windows on your PC/Laptop?

Dual boot here.
One windows, for gaming, and Linux for (almost) everything else.

I’ve been dual booting (IIRC XP/SAM Linux, then XP/PCLOS, then XP/Ubuntu 7.10, then XP/Ubuntu 8.04) on my desktop for about 2 years.

I got a nice laptop for a birthday present from my wife in August, and immediately set that up to dual boot Vista (preinstalled) and 8.04.

Currently the laptop is Vista/openSUSE 11, and the desktop is still XP/Ubuntu.

However, I haven’t booted into Vista on the laptop since I cleaned out all the preinstalled trial crap just after I got it, and I can’t remember the last time I booted into XP on the desktop machine.

The desktop has an ailing hard drive, and the other three physical drives have about a zillion different partitions on them due to its frankenstein-like history, and the number of different things I’ve tried with it.

When I can get everything backed up, I’m going to replace the ailing hard drive on the desktop and streamline my partitioning, then blow off XP and be openSUSE only. Ditto the laptop, hopefully both around when 11.1 is released.

I have a couple of very specific things I need to do that occasionally require Windows, but I those things are easily done from within a VM…

So, single boot in practice, soon to be truly single-boot.

I dual boot, Vista and OpenSUSE 11.1

I dual boot Suse11.0 and XP, but I also have Kubuntu installed via Wubi on the XP partition.

Dos, winxp, suse 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11.0 KDE3.5+Gnome, SLED, Ubu, Fedora

I dual boot OpenSuse 11 x64 KDE 4.1 as main OS and Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition for gaming.

BoloMarkIII wrote:

>
> I dual boot OpenSuse 11 x64 KDE 4.1 as main OS and Windows Xp Pro 64bit
> Edition for gaming.
>
>

I run three different systems:

Machine 1 dual boot openSUSE 11 KDE4.1 and Windows Vista (would love to get rid of it but I need it for the stupid TestOut software used at my University and doesn’t run under wine due to dependency on Windows Media Player and .NET framework 3)

Machine 2 Single boot openSUSE 11 KDE 4.1, 32 bit now but next release going to join the 64 bit world on next release.

Machine 3 Single boot openSUSE 11 XFCE.

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper

a. Desktop system (oldish): Win XP / Mandriva 2008.1 (it won’t take OpenSuSE for the life of me)
b. Laptop: trashed my Win XP partition when trying to “virtualize” it with qemu from my OpenSuSE install. I’m currently trying to replace the trashed Win XP with Debian; no luck so far. It’s apparently waiting for OpenSuSE 11.1 (64-bit), so I’ll be able to double-boot between the 32- and the 64-bit version.

WinXP/openSUSE 10.3 :slight_smile:

Three systems here:

Desktop with dual boot Windows XP and openSUSE 10.3. The XP part just for very nasty web-sites we have to access, but I think we did not use it for about 2 years now.

Desktop with openSUSE 10.3 only.

Small server (ex desktop with head removed) for backups. openSUSE 10.3 only.

Single boot.

I am Window$ free and have been since February 1995 (when I got tired of waiting
for the release of Win 95. Which they had been calling ‘Chicago’ during
development and for three years projected it would be out in six months, would
FIX all the problems with Windows 3.1, and be better, safer, more stable and
cost effective than OS/2 Warp, Apple and Unix combined!).

Some things never change: Today there are unhappy Vista users saving their money
to ‘upgrade’ to “Windows 7” which is promised to be available real soon now AND
solve all of Vista’s many shortcomings.

@John Jones:
Well, you’ve got to give them some credit: they’ve grown somewhat humbler with age. They’re not boasting Windows 7 will be better, safer and more bug-free than OS/2, Apple and Unix combined – they’d be perfectly happy if they could make it at least not worse than Vista …>:)

> Machine 1 dual boot openSUSE 11 KDE4.1 and Windows Vista (would love to get
> rid of it but I need it for the stupid TestOut software used at my University
> and doesn’t run under wine due to dependency on Windows Media Player and .NET
> framework 3)

Adam,

Have you considered talking to your University’s IT School to see if they can’t
help the whole place move away from the proprietary lock-in which we all know
Redmond designs into all their products?

Surely, anyone there knows there is more to software than Redmond’s offerings.

Straying offtopic people…

I got 2 dual booting systems.
My laptop is running openSUSE 11.1 beta5 and Windows Vista Business.
My desktop is running openSUSE 11.1 beta5 and Windows XP.
Homeserver (ex-desktop) is openSUSE 11.0 only

As to why… used to do some gaming on the desktop so I needed windows, no time for that as of late though. (Hardly ever boot the desktop, and haven’t booted windows on it in months).

The laptop I bought in hopes of running openSUSE only on, however the wireless did not function. it does work fine with the beta, but now I got issues with Eclipse which I need for my study… and I could download Vista Business from my msdnaa account.

DOS, WinXP Pro, openSuse 11.0/KDE 3.5.x.

openSuse used exclusively, except when need DVDFabPlatinum in WinXP to backup a video DVD … very infrequently. DVDab used to work in Wine 0.9.x / OS 10.3 days, but not now!

BTW, OT, Read the KDE 4.2beta announcement today. Now I know why openSUse changed its mind and will support KDE 3.5.x still in 11.1. I fully expect this decision to be repeated in 11.2.

Dual boot. OpenSuSE 11.0 Gnome and Fedora 10 gnome.
No MS Windows for over 2 years now.

Triple boot here:

1. Windows Vista (came with the laptop and promptly reparted) - for online gaming with pogo an few unimportant other things.

2. Ubuntu 8.04 (x86_64) - and recently disappointedly updated to 8.10

3. OpenSuse 11.0 (x86_64)- recently re-installed due to some video and sound issues. I love it and this is my default OS now.

I still dual boot, but only because my sister does a lot of movie authoring with Powerdirector (read: “Windows only”) on the same machine. So I am currently dual booting Vista and openSUSE 11.0. I actually run two openSUSE installs, one a standard desktop install and the other an audio production optimized openSUSE ""JAD install](http://www.jacklab.net) for my home recording studio. I never use Windows for any of my computing tasks. Not that I hate Windows, but that I no longer feel any need for it.

Desktop: Single-boot Opensuse 11.0 32-bit
+Windows XP in VirtualBox (hardly ever use it)

Laptop: Dual-bootOpensuse 11.0 32-bit /
Vista (came preinstalled, hardly ever use it)
+Windows XP in VirtualBox (sometimes use it)
Having USB support in VirtulBox, now I don’t need Vista at all.
I plan to install only openSUSE 11.1 64-bit on my laptop.
I have only 80 GB HDD. Removing Vista should give me 20-23 GB of HDD-space, so I can add some music and other stuff to my laptop.