How I came to OpenSUSE 11.2

It started with me and my first computer using Windows 3 => 95 => 98 until I got my first Apple with OSX. WOW what a difference I had learned so much over the years about Windows setting everything up configuring everything to work together, a few months down the road something unknown happens, reformatting and doing it all over again. I was pretty good at it LOL, so much so that everyone I knew always asked me to fix there computers. I had no idea how to save anyones files so I reformatted many computers throughout the years.

Since my first Apple with OSX that was never once and issue, I had found what I was missing, the ultimate computing machine. I knew there were not a lot of options available for it at the time, but I knew that would change in time. Since that time I have upgraded my Apple 3 times, the one I have now =>
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
I have had a great time with my Apple and never touched another windows computer for myself other than to fix friends and families and the ones I need to use at work.

Ok last year sometime I got so tired of having to redo my sons computers form all there chat site viruses or whatever was this issue I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10 and after a very difficult install it worked great for him with no need to reformat. Then 10.04 came out. My son wanted to upgrade to it, by then most of his friends were off windows and sporting Ubuntu. On the install I got to a blank screen freeze. After a week of digging around there forums I got past that and installed fine, except no wireless. So about 4 days later (spending no lees than 6 hours a day in forums and google searches) the wireless issue was resolved. So he was happy everything was working so good for him in all of his WEB and Chat sites until he downloaded a 3D Simulator game from the repository. Crash. Then He tried to play a Movie he downloaded. Crash. Viewing You tube movies were fine but it must have been an issue with the fix in installation with the video drivers on the laptop. Well that was just not going to work so I started doing some research on other forms of Linux.

A google search took me here => The differences between Linux distributions - Sofware in Review
I was very interested, then I notice the date published Jan 2006. Well a lot has changed since then but at least I got a list to check out from the good ones from that date. In checking around I got to this guys reviews. =>
Linux Mint 8 Helena - Superb execution
Awesome I will download it and give it a try. Blank Screen Freeze at install, same as Ubuntu. So I looked at the guys other reviews. =>
Mandriva 2010 - I mean … Wow!
Downloaded it and yep, Blank Screen Freeze at install. Now I know that if I fix this to install it will more than likely produce the same Crashes Ubuntu had. Then I remembered the 2006 review of the different types of linux. Basically RPM’s vs DEB’s, and further looking at what I was doing I found those others were based off the Ubuntu setup. OK :idea: I am done with trying the Ubuntu based DEB linux guys, let me try the RPM guys, so the last reviewer must have a review of one of theirs; openSUSE 11.2 => 2 reviews in fact and he loved it. Well he liked the others to and they did nothing for me but what else do I have to go on, and it only cost my my time to try right. =>
openSUSE 11.2 - James Bond’s choice
And =>
openSUSE 11.2 Gnome edition - Fantastic

Well here we go again right. I downloaded it and notice that instead of the install DVD being under 1 Gig like the rest of them were this was 4.7 Gig, well thats gotta make a difference right. OK so in it goes and… well what do you know it installed with not an issue. What the heck. So install went totally perfect but I still had no wireless, and I didn’t expect to. After all everything you set up has trouble with that. Well obviously this is a different Linux that the Ubuntu based so I better check out what they have to say on how to fix it. A 30 second search of the openSUSE forums lands me at Get HELP Here => Wireless. I opened it up and find there is a sticky at the top on just what I was looking for. =>
Getting Your Wireless to Work - openSUSE Forums
6 pages long from out of my printer well let me sit back with a cup of coffee and see what this is about. I started to read through it and realized this is a step 1 step 2 step 3 instruction. Ok step 1 gather the info step 2 look at the log, the log showed a website to go to. I went to it read it plugged in my lane line to the laptop, copied and pasted the command they had into the terminal, and I swear in under an hour I had the wireless working. I could not believe it.

In conclusion;
I have realized over the past week that I have been a computer user my whole life and didn’t really know anything about them. I have been so impressed with how smooth this whole openSUSE environment works from the Operating system to the Forums and wonderful help people offer, I want you to know this has been a life changing experience for me.
I no longer want to be that person that just used a computer for tasks and entertainment. I want to really get to know about this Linux Operating System and hopefully one day be able to contribute to this forum in a positive way and help others. I would love to learn how to develop some type of software trinket that others can enjoy. I know that first I need to learn this and am committing myself to do just that. I have 2 extra 1.5 TB hard drive in my Mac Pro, and I am installing openSUSE 11.2 with KDE Desktop on one and openSUSE 11.2 with Gnome Desktop on the other. I found the Documentation =>
Portal:Documentation - openSUSE
and I hope to learn as much as I can, if any of you have additional material or a book to recommend that will help me better understand terminal commands I would like to here them. I haven’t got a chance to look through the Documentation yet as until yesterday I had never even heard of openSUSE.

Well I hope to spend a great deal of time on these forums and I just wanted to say Hi. :slight_smile:

I no longer want to be that person that just used a computer for tasks and entertainment. I want to really get to know about this Linux Operating System and hopefully one day be able to contribute to this forum in a positive way and help others. I would love to learn how to develop some type of software trinket that others can enjoy.

Thats a great story and some good goals as well. :slight_smile:

Experimentation is key, no OS is perfect and its up to you to see what one does the job for you.
I currently use Ubuntu 10.04 and for me it works fine but there are bound to be those who have issues with it, same with openSUSE, Mac sand windows.
But openSUSE is a good choice for those who prefer stability

My2CentsWorth wrote:
> if any of you have additional
> material or a book to recommend that will help me better understand
> terminal commands I would like to here them.

to zero in on command line operations i know of nothing better than to
begin on page one of Rute User’s Tutorial and Exposition at
http://rute.2038bug.com/

and supplement it with Bash Guide for Beginners at
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/

and, Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide at http://tldp.org/guides.html

you probably ought to also have a look at an old posting of mine which
includes a pretty long list of both specific to openSUSE and generic
Linux documentation…see that at: http://tinyurl.com/ybklh48

you may be able to still buy good books off the shelf, but you kinda
have to know what to buy or you just wind up with a very expensive
dead tree regurgitating info that was applicable only to a
distribution released so many years ago that it, and the book, should
be in a museum…

-=welcome=-

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

@ DenverD
Perfect - Thanks

DD’s a champ for stuff like that;)

BTW @My2CentsWorth
You realize you are preaching to the converted here:) Still, there is nothing quite like a good company feel good promo. Thanks for posting.

A warm welcome here.
Nice to read, thanks for sharing.