How do I stop big KDE updates from re-adding deleted apps?

Just did a big update today, and I was annoyed to see all the KDE apps I deleted on my initial installation are back. Why is it setup this way?

How can I prevent this in the future?

If you know what apps they are open Yast Software and right click on them and select taboo never install.

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t consider that. Good call.

When deleting apps, should I select the first ‘delete’ option or the ‘delete all in this list’ ? I ask because I notice when I select just ‘delete’, the other files that are part of the program are not being deleted.

Can I ask what apps you want to delete?

For example, kmail, kontact, konversation, kmahjongg… Just a bunch of these apps I never use. There’s plenty more, but I deleted them all already, so I can’t remember all the names.

It’s cool. I think it’ll all work itself out. Good luck to you. Hopefully that helps when updates come in.

1 Like

After uninstalling applications or patterns, add locks to them.

For example, I’ve uninstalled patterns-kde-kde_games, then I did sudo zypper addlock patterns-kde-kde_games.

zypper addlock would prevent applications to be modified, thus the uninstalled stay uninstalled and the installed stay in the current version.

1 Like

Please feel free to read through the “Package Locks Management” part in zypper manual.

1 Like

Removal of pattern patterns-kde-kde_games results in:

3400g:~ # zypper -n rm -D patterns-kde-kde_games
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 22 packages are going to be REMOVED:
  freecell-solver-presets kdegames-carddecks-default kmahjongg kmahjongg-lang kmines kmines-lang kpat kpat-lang kreversi kreversi-lang ksudoku ksudoku-lang libKDEGames6 libKMahjongg6 libblack_hole_solver1 libfreecell-solver0 libkdegames
  libkdegames-imports libkdegames-lang libkmahjongg libkmahjongg-lang patterns-kde-kde_games

The following pattern is going to be REMOVED:
  kde_games

22 packages to remove.
After the operation, 23.7 MiB will be freed.

Backend:  classic_rpmtrans --dry-run
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y
3400g:~ # 

Largest folders of the system are:

3400g:~ # du -hd0 /usr /home
12G     /usr
456G    /home
3400g:~ # 

Size of patterns-kde-kde_games is 0.00052% of total size allocated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.