how do I install and run a newly build trunk version of kde?

After much back-and-forth and a steep learning curve, I believe I have a built copy of the latest trunk of KDE.

Per instructions on the web it’s here:

kde-devel@linux-w0zl:~> ls kde/build/trunk/KDE
kdebase kdelibs kdepimlibs

I did make - not make install - because I felt the latter would clobber my existing installation.

kde-devel@linux-w0zl:~> kde4-config -v
Qt: 4.6.3
KDE Development Platform: 4.4.80 (KDE 4.4.80 (KDE 4.5 Beta1)) “release 2”
kde4-config: 1.0

There are instructions for running involving, say, making a file runKDE in the home directory for account kde-devel. You login to a terminal and run this, and I do except that screen goes completely dark and stays there.

Fortunately I can reboot and openSUSE and KDE come up fine. Although this is because (I believe) I haven’t tried to copy the newly built KDE out to production.

From your output I read that latest KDE4 4.5 beta has been installed. Did that come from the repos?
Is this something you just want to share, or do you have a question? I don’t see any.

Yes I do have the latest 4.4.5 beta installed. But that wasn’t what I was interested in.

I’m interested in building from source and installing and running my copy of KDE.

I downloaded and installed the 4.4.5 that’s running now but I did so because it was a precondition for building the latest trunk.

I’ve now built that trunk but my question is how I do I run my build?

I followed the instructions here:

KDE/Developing/Guide - openSUSE

except that the ‘Starting a KDE session manually’ didn’t work. I set up a file runKDE with all the commands

. kde4-run-env
eval dbus-launch --auto-syntax
export DISPLAY=:1
X -novtswitch $DISPLAY

however when I log into a terminal (either from the main login screen or using ctr-alt-F2) and run the script all I get is a dark screen.

I think part of the problem might be the value for KDE_INSTALL_PREFIX. The given value is

KDE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/space/kde/installs/trunk

There’s obviously no location /space and the instructions say this value should be set to the root your KDE installation (the root of my built installation). But where is that.

I *believe *the ‘root’ of the running KDE installation is:

/usr/share/kde4

However I don’t see a directory structure anywhere within my build tree that looks like the directories under /user/share/kde4.