How do I create a cross platform presentation similar to a powerpoint pps

I am not sure if this should be in this forum or the multimedia forum but I will start here.

I would like to create some presentations which are basically an automatically running slide show with an audio track. I would like it to be easy to create. I also want to distribute it via e-mail and to run irrespective of the receivers O.S.

I can create the presentation with impress but openoffice is not found on too many computers. It also has a problem that it links to and does not embed the audio files. The lack of embedding makes e-mailing and the use of impress presentations on a network unattractive.

Impress can export to powerpoint format but again it does not seem to embed the audio files.

I have tried impress export to flash but it did not autoplay and there was no audio.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to create such a presentation other than using a windows machine with powerpoint. I just want to send a single file and for it to work without having to be unzipped or having to instal additional software on the majority of linux, windows and mac machines

I don’t use M$ office.
So are you saying: open-office can read M$ format but
M$ office can’t read the open format?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I’m not sure how to make it auto-start like a .pps file, but in my quick
testing when I embedded an audio file it was actually inside the .odp file
properly. This is probably similar to how you can add images… if you do
them incorrectly then they are merely links to your filesystem (typically
not what you want as it’s not portable) but they can be included in the
file. Use the Insert menu and then choose a sound (or image if doing
images). I THINK (but am not sure) that I’ve seen the symptom you
described when just dragging images (and in your case, audio) into a
document from somewhere else in the system.

Good luck.

On 12/30/2010 08:06 AM, vindevienne wrote:
>
> I am not sure if this should be in this forum or the multimedia forum
> but I will start here.
>
> I would like to create some presentations which are basically an
> automatically running slide show with an audio track. I would like it to
> be easy to create. I also want to distribute it via e-mail and to run
> irrespective of the receivers O.S.
>
> I can create the presentation with impress but openoffice is not found
> on too many computers. It also has a problem that it links to and does
> not embed the audio files. The lack of embedding makes e-mailing and the
> use of impress presentations on a network unattractive.
>
> Impress can export to powerpoint format but again it does not seem to
> embed the audio files.
>
> I have tried impress export to flash but it did not autoplay and there
> was no audio.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas about how to create such a presentation other
> than using a windows machine with powerpoint. I just want to send a
> single file and for it to work without having to be unzipped or having
> to instal additional software on the majority of linux, windows and mac
> machines
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=3t/j
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

What I am saying is that when I create a ppt or pps file form openoffice and ship it to a windows box it opens and plays but without the sound. I don’t have powerpoint but I believe that powerpoint gives the option of including or linking to the media file and I suspect that openoffice generates a pps or ppt with a link rather than including the media file. There is an odf extension available for MS office. Even if I got people to install this I would still have create a directory, put the audio file(s) in it then create the presentation in it and then zip it up before e-mailing it. The recipient would then have to unzip it onto their hard disk before being able to play it. This is not pretty.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Probably true. I thought there was a plugin out there, but I do not think
it is there by default in the latest versions of microsoft office.
microsoft has a hard time implementing all kinds of easily-implemented
open technologies. Filesystems are typically a problem too (Linux doesn’t
use NTFS by default of course, though it can read/write to it; windows
cannot read/write to anything except NTFS and FAT, its own filesystems).
The irony of the failure to implement these is pretty high, but that’s the
perk of being a convicted monopolist on multiple continents.

Good luck.

On 12/30/2010 08:36 AM, caf4926 wrote:
>
> I don’t use M$ office.
> So are you saying: open-office can read M$ format but
> M$ office can’t read the open format?
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=GWlT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

What I am saying is that when I create a ppt or pps file form openoffice and ship it to a windows box it opens and plays but without the sound

You mean it doesn’t play in M$Office?
Does it play in OpenOffice in Windows

I have openoffice 3.2.1.4. Say I want create a presentation with a series of slides with the slides automatically changing every x seconds and with an audio track running from the display of the second slide upto but not including the last slide

I go the the first slide select transitions. I set autochange and the delay, select no sound and then apply it to all the slides.

I go to slide 2 and the transistions, I select the sound from file and an mp3 file. I select loop sound

I go to the last slide and transitions and select stop sound

I hit f5 and the presentation runs and plays the soundtrack through the presentation

If I open the odp file with arc there is no media folder containing the sound file

I then creat a pps or ppt. I can’t test the pps or ppt on my linux machine as the thsi version novell of oo is broken and does not play sound for pps files. I then go to a windows machine and play the pps which runs without sound.

What have I done incorrectly. It is clear that oo can embed sound in the odp file as the pps import does that. I suspect that it gets moved to the gallery for playback. I have a gallery full of wav files put there by oo 3.0 from playing back pps files.

vindevienne wrote:
> be easy to create. I also want to distribute it via e-mail and to run
> irrespective of the receivers O.S.

i believe until Microsoft, Apple and open source agree to work and
play well together you are not going to be successful with your task,
especially not easy to creat…

until they decided to support each others proprietary formats you
always run into not-easy road blocks…and, both Apple and MS want
it that way…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
Even if you don’t know your quark from your meson, your contributions
to open-source software are helping physicist at the Large Hadron
Collider… Lundstedt in Linux Journal Nov '10

AFAIK you cannot have background audio playing because each sound is associated with a particular slide and stops automatically once you change the slide. You can associate a sound with a whole slide and have elements of the slide opening up while it is playing but that is the nearest thing you will get to being able to play anything semi-continuously.

If you want to create a cross-platform presentation, create your presentation in Impress and then save as .swf

Not true. There are lots of pps files that do exactly this and if you do what I did in post 7 you will get a presentation with the sound that plays across slides. Also as I stated earlier I exported to flash (.swf) and this resulted in a presentation that 1) did not play automatically and 2) did not have any sound even on the creating system.

What an interesting question. The answer is that it does not play with the free microsoft powerpoint viewer but it does play in openoffice impress for windows 3.2.1. Looking at the file sizes, the mp3 is included in the pps but not in the opd. The powerpoint viewer is the very latest and was downloaded yesterday. I do not have any version of powerpoint so I can’t tell if this is a problem with the free viewer or a problem with openoffice. As the whole point of the powerpoint viewer is to display powerpoint files I suspect openoffice is not creating the pps corectly but I could be wrong.

The target audience is all microsoft and the one person with openoffice has microsoft as the default

So we now know that if we wish to send presentations with audio to openoffice users we should use the microsoft pps/ppt format but we still have a problem with microsoft office product users

Ah I was forgetting, if the openoffice users are using 3.2.1. on linux (not the openoffice.org version) then that does not play the sound from any pps and they need the opd + the sound files in the correct relative directory structure

I have a few other things to try but this is getting silly

The least I can say, is that the files are getting included in an .odp file, are not getting included in a .ppt file in Off97 version. So for now the only way I know how to do this is to send it in OO.o format. To be honest, I do that all the time, send people ODF instead of the proprietary formats. And some of them do download OO.o, so it has some effect.

I already know kPresenter will not help you.

That is interesting. I am not getting the audio (mp3) files incuded in the odp but they are in the pps/ppt. The size of the pps/ppt is larger than the opd by the size of the mp3 however the microsoft products to not play the sound.

I have also tried the 2007 powerpoint export in the novell version of impress. This does not contain the mp3 and it does not play sound and does not auto change the slides in openoffice. The microsoft product reports an error in accessing the file. I don’t think that this 2007 export works. The 2007 export is not in the openoffice.org version. The viewer is the 2010 version.

If I am going to the trouble of creating something then I would like people to view it. To send the presentation in odp form means that I have to

Create a directory
Move the sound files that are required into it
create the presentation in the new directory adding the sound from the same directory
zip the directory
take it to another system, unzip and test it.
e-mail it

The recipient then has to

extract and unzip the file (some will have problems with that)
Find and install openoffice (more will have problems with that)
They can then (if they get this far) view the presentation.

If they get as far as viewing the presentation they probably have got openoffice as the default office system. They will be totally lost. I will spend days fixing peoples systems and I will not get invited for dinner ever again. These are real home computer users

Forgot to mention this: I’m using LibreOffice -) since Oracle got their hands on OO.o

Here’s what it does:
Insert a .mov ? Huge odp, opens fine after deletion of the original .mov <-> small ppt, does not open after deletion of .mov. So LibreOffice’s Impress does what you want.

I shall see if I can find some time to look at libre office. I think that you may be doing something different to me. I have tried inserting a sound file as an ole object. This plays for the slide but not across slides. I did not verify what went into the odp and did not create a pps as it does not appear to do what I need. The only way that I know to control the sound across multiple slides is with the transitions dialog

Thanks

Building on the workaround I described in

User friendly viewing Power Point presentations in Linux ?

With a little investigation, here is how you embed sound files so they automatically launch as a slide transition property…

First, as I noted in the other thread, I’m working off a Powerpoint 2007 presentation in a “legacy” PPT format…

1. Following Step 2 in my previous post, you need to embed an OLE Sound File object on the webpage, this must done by

1a. first setting Impression to the slide which will launch the sound file,
1b. then launching the OpenOffice Media Player (Tools > Media Player)
1c. Clicking the “Apply” button to embed the OLE Sound object in the Slide.

1. Now that the OLE sound file is in the Slide, you can now open the Slide’s Tasks > Slide Transition, and in the “Modify Transition” > Sound you can now click on the dropdown box and at the bottom you will find your OLE file with the specified sound file. Select it, then

2. Check your handiwork. Launch your presentation as a slideshow (keystroke F5) and verify your file plays when the appropriate slide is launched. lol!

HTH,
Tony

I think that I have a solution. I believe that the audio file must be a wav for it to work. I have almost exclusively mp3 files and they work with openoffice. I found a wav file and replaced the mp3 with the wav in the openoffice presentation. I played the openoffice presentationand it worked, I then saved it as a ppt and that played in the MS viewer. This was all done under windows and I still have to try the creation under linux but I expect that to work. Creating the ppt with openoffice under windows with an mp3 resulted in a file that did not play. I seem to remember reading something that said that ppt work best with wav. It said that mp3 can be made to work. It looks like openoffice is quite happy to build ppt/pps files that are unlikely to work the the MS products. I think that I might have to raise a bugzilla report or 2.

I now know how to create transportable presentations using openoffice. create the presentation as a pps with wav sound files. This will work for openoffice and MS office with the exception of people with the gstreamer branch of openoffice at 3.2.1

FYI - The procedure I outlined supports mp3

Although while I’m traveling I can’t fully test interoperability, I don’t see anything that would lead me to suspect the presentation won’t play on other platforms including Windows PPT… The workaround for the bugs I’ve encountered appear to be strictly Open Office issues, not likely more general issues.

Tony

I shall experiment with your method as using mp3 would be better than wav as even re-encoding the wav files to reduce their size seems to result in a file much larger than the mp3 version. I am not impressed by the quality of impress. When it works it seems to work well but it will then suddenly take forever to open the insert picture dialog or do something else a little bizarre. This is on a machine with an i5 760, 4GB ram and the system & data spread across 3 sata II disks

Because it seems to be able to produce ppt/pps files that are incompatible with MS Office products, you have to have a windows system to verify the resulting file. As a result it is actually easier to produce the presentation under openoffice for windows

Bonne année