How do I control CPU fan?

Hi
So in the BIOS, is there a hardware monitoring section? If so does this show fan rpm? Else does the cpu fan have the third (yellow) wire for a speed sensor?

Does the M/B have the latest BIOS installed?

BTW, I came across this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737&page=7&p=4667160#post4667160

It looks like pwm should work with my motherboard.

Hi
Nothing to loose trying it out, you might need to check down in /sys/class/hwmon/ for the pwm folders.

In the hardware monitoring section, it does show fan rpm entries, but they are all showing zero.

The fan does have the third, yellow wire for the speed sensor.

Yes, it’s the latest BIOS.

I tried this:

sudo modprobe -r it87
sudo modprobe it87 fix_pwm_polarity=1

The first line ran without incident. When I tried the second one, I got a message saying something like “it86 is busy” or something like that. I’ll run it again when I have a chance and give you the exact wording.

I truly am an idiot.

I figured out the problem. The clue was that my motherboard wasn’t showing any fan speeds, and your question about the fan wires. My fan has 4 wires, but my motherboard only has 3 pins. So I checked the motherboard to make sure I had the fan plugged in correctly. That’s when I realized that in my hurry to get the new CPU cooler installed, I plugged it into the chassis fan header. <smacks own forehead>

It’s now running at 927rpm, and is much quieter. Thanks for your help.

Hi
It happens :wink: So cool’n’quiet running and the fan hooked up correctly will always be a good result :slight_smile: