How can I use rEFInd to boot openSUSE without GRUB?

I’m trying to use Leap on tablet PC with x86-64-v2 Intel Atom CPU and 32-bit EFI.
I’ve installed rEFInd 32-bit, it works OK.
I can boot openSUSE Live & openSUSE installer. I’ve installed Leap 15.5, but I cannot boot it because installer uses GRUB2 for EFI 64 bit, and system needs GRUB2 for EFI 32 bit. I cannot exclude GRUB2 for EFI 64 bit from installing when selecting EFI boot option.
I’ve created installer with GRUB2 for EFI 64 bit package being replaced by GRUB2 for EFI 32 bit. But installer uses settings for GRUB2 for EFI 64 bit, and fails to properly install GRUB2 for EFI 32 bit.

I have such a system running in a VM.

I configured it for legacy booting (install boot in the MBR). That won’t actually boot the system, but it allows everything else needed.

I then install “grub2-i386-efi” and run “grub2-install”. This works. The “grub.cfg” generated for legacy booting also works with “grub2-i386-efi”.

You might need to boot something else, then “chroot” into your installed system to install “grub2-i386-efi”.

This is YaST bug which - even if it is fixed - will not appear on installation media before next refresh (if it ever happens) or Leap 15.6. After installation update-bootloader works correctly, so grub/kernel updates should work normally.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1208003#c37

ILL direct boot 32-bit EFI → 64-bit kernel with rEFInd is impossible, and additional loader is needed.

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/linux.html

Using the EFI Stub Loader: Three Configuration Options

The EFI stub loader is basic and reliable, but it requires some setup to use it on some computers. It also requires that you run a kernel with the same bit width as your EFI. In most cases, this means running a 64-bit kernel, since 32-bit EFI-based computers are so rare.

To read XFS partitions add efi driver to rEFInd.

As far as I could tell, grub2 is the most reliable way of booting this. You can possibly do it with grub2 installed on a USB. However, grub2-i386-efi is in the repos for Leap 15.5, and can be used. The installer doesn’t support it, and Yast does not support it. That’s why I install with legacy booting (grub2-i386-pc), and manually install the grub2-i386-efi later. That way system uptdates will update the legacy booting but won’t mess with the efi booting.