How can I hear the sound of other applications while using Rosegarden?

I have Opensuse 12,1 and KDE is my only desktop.
I always type music on rosegarden and everytime I launch rosegarden the audio of every other application is muted. For example if I have some media playing in amarok, smplayer or some wine application it becomes muted when I launch rosegarden. The only exception is if the application can be routed through jack. For example I can route musescore through jack and hear its sounds alongside with rosegarden.
However there are many times when I’m typing music in rosegarden but only doing repetitive tasks as making orchestrations, copying loops and só on. At those moments I would like to have other music playing on the background but I can’t, since other applications are muted. Even though I launch rosegarden without evoking jack other applications become mute.
Is it possible to launch rosegarden, specially together with jack, and still hear the still hear the sound of other applications?
Once I read something about a module that allows pulseaudio sounds to be routed through jack. But I also read anywhere eles that kde doesn’t use pulseaudio. So how could I manage my situation in kde?
I will appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

W dniu 06.05.2012 o 21:56 fernando a martin
<fernando_a_martin@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> pisze:

>
> I have Opensuse 12,1 and KDE is my only desktop.
> I always type music on rosegarden and everytime I launch rosegarden the
> audio of every other application is muted. For example if I have some
> media playing in amarok, smplayer or some wine application it becomes
> muted when I launch rosegarden. The only exception is if the application
> can be routed through jack. For example I can route musescore through
> jack and hear its sounds alongside with rosegarden.
> However there are many times when I’m typing music in rosegarden but
> only doing repetitive tasks as making orchestrations, copying loops and
> só on. At those moments I would like to have other music playing on the
> background but I can’t, since other applications are muted. Even though
> I launch rosegarden without evoking jack other applications become
> mute.
> Is it possible to launch rosegarden, specially together with jack, and
> still hear the still hear the sound of other applications?
> Once I read something about a module that allows pulseaudio sounds to
> be routed through jack. But I also read anywhere eles that kde doesn’t
> use pulseaudio. So how could I manage my situation in kde?
> I will appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
>
>

KDE does use pulseaudio since opensuse 11.4 by default where did You read
it doesn’t ?

Best regards,
Greg

Even though I launch rosegarden without evoking jack other applications become mute

Are you sure jack didn’t start? Rosegarden starts jack, in its start-up sequence, if it isn’t running already.

Pulseaudio and JACK has been known to be troublesome to have working together, though I do not know the present status of that combination (and I have never used PA): How use PulseAudio and JACK? | JACK. Do you use pulseaudio?

Is it possible to launch rosegarden, specially together with jack, and still hear the still hear the sound of other applications?

If you don’t use PA I believe you can configure phonon to use JACK (soundserver) by defafault: Systemsettings > Hardware > Multimedia > Device Preference.

I’m glad that I received answers to this post, however I’m still a little confused.
What I read that kde doesn’t use pulseaudio I don’t remember where it was and taking into account how long I read it if pulseaudio is kde’s default since opensuse 11.4 so that information might be outdated.
I really have pulseaudio installed on my system but I don’t if or when kde uses it. I also have phonon installed.
How can I know if kde is using pulseaudio or phonon?
I always suspected that rosegarden launches jack even if I don’t evoke it because other applications become muted. I simply don’t know how but it seems that jack automatically suspends pulseaudio or wichever sound server is running.
I also have installed on my system the package pulseaudio-module- jack but don’t know if it works for my needs nor how to use it. On the wiki WalkThrough/User/PulseOnJack - Jack Audio Connection Kit - Trac there are a lot of instructions on how to edit some conf files. Is it secure? Or may I damage the configuration of my system or desktop? And above all, does that instructions work?
And if kde were using phonon (I don’t know) how cold I connect jack and phonon?

Go to ‘YaST Control Centre’ > Hardware > Sound’, on the bottom left corner there is a button labelled ’ Other’, click on it and choose ‘PulseAudio configuration’; you will now quite easily see if PA is enabled, and if so KDE most likely uses PA as well. My suggestion is to disable PA (others will suggest otherwise), restart KDE (log out and back in again) and see if you are comfortable with the sound now; you can tweak further here: Systemsettings > Hardware > Multimedia > Device Preference. Running JACK should now potentially be more trouble free.
However, you will not have your systems sound devices playing if they rely on phonon unless you set up phonon to use JACK.

How can I know if kde is using pulseaudio or phonon?

If PA is enabled you use both, they do not fulfill the same function.

Thanks for the answers. But before doing these procedures I was wondering about one thing:
Is there some player (vlc, mplayer, kaffeine …) that is able to send its audio output through jack? I thought it would be simpler and less risky than messing with system configurations.
Does anyone know a player that has GUI and is able to send output through jack?

Is there some player (vlc, mplayer, kaffeine …) that is able to send its audio output through jack? I thought it would be simpler and less risky than messing with system configurations.
Does anyone know a player that has GUI and is able to send output through jack?

I expect all of those players to be capable of doing audio-output through JACK. With Mplayer (SMPlayer/GMPlayer/UMPLayer etc), first start JACK, then start MPlayer and finally choose and select audio-output to ‘jack’ in the players ‘preferences’ dialogue. I just tested Clementine and Audacious also and both work fine but Clementine labels jack output as ‘Audio Sink (jack)’.

NB
I would still recommend to disable PulseAudio which might interfere with JACK in a negative way. It is quite easy (no messing-up of the system): YaST Control Centre > Hardware > Sound’, on the bottom left corner there is a button labelled ’ Other’, click on it and choose ‘PulseAudio configuration’.

Thank you! Great idea! Your suggestion really worked with smplayer and jack.
But there’s only two things I still don’t understand:
1 - Why did you say that pulseaudio can interfere negatively with jack? Wjat can happen?
2 - This is not the first time I see someone suggesting to disable pulseaudio. But if it comes as default in many linux desktpos and distros wouldn’t other apps need it? What is its purpose if it can be disabled?

1 - Why did you say that pulseaudio can interfere negatively with jack? Wjat can happen?

From How use PulseAudio and JACK? | JACK

Many Linux systems now use PulseAudio as the default sound server, using it to handle all sound playback (media players, desktop alerts, web browsers and more). Here are a couple of basic observations about using JACK and PulseAudio together:

While PulseAudio is running, JACK cannot access the same soundcard that Pulse is using. Even though in theory ALSA provides mechanisms for this to be possible (e.g. "dmix" device access), they do not work well enough to support both of these systems reliably.
PulseAudio and JACK can appear to have similar goals to many people, and they wonder why its not possible to replace one with the other. However, beyond a very superficial similarity, they really do not have much in common:
PulseAudio is focused on desktop and mobile audio needs. It doesn't try to address low latency usage, but does provide seamless device switching, network routing, global per-application volume control and lots more great stuff.
JACK is focused on the needs of pro-audio and music creation users. It offers the lowest possible latency, complete routing flexibility between applications and audio hardware, and all audio is always sample synchronized - apps don't run ahead or behind of others. It doesn't provide the smooth desktop experience that PulseAudio is aiming at.
Combining PulseAudio and JACK on the same machine can be problematic. There are several options, some of which leave PulseAudio and JACK as entirely separate systems with no audio flow between them. Others connect them so that audio from one of them can be heard via the other.

2 - This is not the first time I see someone suggesting to disable pulseaudio. But if it comes as default in many linux desktpos and distros wouldn’t other apps need it? What is its purpose if it can be disabled?

I do not know too much about PA and I have always disabled it on my computers. There used to be a problem with multiple sound instances on linux but that is solved through ALSA these days (on my system at least, haven’t had that problem in many years) so for me PA has no obvious function to fulfil at all. I feel more in control of my devices if I disable PA and set up my audio settings in System Settings > Phonon, and manually, if necessary, on those apps other than the KDE ones. When I do audio I start jack and do as you, I start the apps in JACK mode; though, the apps I then use usually defaults to run this way (in jack mode).

You could do some basic reading about PA’s features here: PulseAudio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I can’t say whether or not it will be useful for you other than that it might have implications in conjunction with JACK. Many users seem to prefer to use it but I am quite satisfied without.

Cheers:)

Thanks. Nice ideas.