/home not there after 11.3 install

I think I did something wrong and would like to learn what and how.

Installed 11.3 yesterday. Was using 11.1. Things are working fine except…

Before 11.3 install df -h looked like this:

/dev/sdb1 Ext3 /
/dev/sdb2 Ext3 /home
/dev/sdb3 Swap

After 11.3 install:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1 20G 3.6G 16G 20% /
devtmpfs 2.0G 248K 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 2.0G 256K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm

While home still exists on /sdb2 and was backed up “just in case”, it didn’t get mounted post 11.3 install. I probably did something wrong but what? How do I fix this? I’d rather not re-install. I’d rather learn by my mistake(s).

Also, what are devtmpfs and tmpfs? Are they necessary? I don’t recall having them back in 11.1, but I could be wrong. Again.

TIA

On the install you must be sure the partition with the home data is marked to be mounted as /home. If you don’t /home will just be on the root partition. You can correct by going into Yast and making sure the partition is marked to be mounted as /home. then reboot.

Agree with gogalthorp. In your case you just need to add the mounting of sdb2 to /etc/fstab and reboot.

If you need help with that post your current /etc/fstab

Used Yast (System → Partitioner) and while sdb2 was listed, it wasn’t mounted as /home. I added that mount point, rebooted and /home appeared.

I guess I didn’t check that partition to mount during the install procedure. Other than that (pilot error) mistake, the install went well.

devtmpfs and tmpfs are still there as before.

Thanks for your help. I learned something.

On 2010-07-29 17:36, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> On the install you must be sure the partition with the home data is
> marked to be mounted as /home. If you don’t /home will just be on the
> root partition. You can correct by going into Yast and making sure the
> partition is marked to be mounted as /home. then reboot.

Not so fast! The space used by the /home directory will be hidden below, but used. You have to
rename or delete it. Also, there is no need to reboot.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

On 2010-07-29 18:36, gudewdl wrote:
>
> Used Yast (System → Partitioner) and while sdb2 was listed, it wasn’t
> mounted as /home. I added that mount point, rebooted and /home
> appeared.

Sigh…

And now you have some wasted space of what was the /home directory in sdb1.

The correct procedure is:

switch to runlevel 2

Exit from any running user, except root. If necessary, log in as root - not as user and su/sudo,
it will not work this time.

rename /home to something else.

create emtpy /home

edit fstab to add the missing partition (sdb1).

Don’t reboot! This is not windows. Just do “mount /home”.

Copy back the contents of the old home to the new home, if wanted or convenient. If not, delete them.

Now switch to runlevel 3 or 5 as desired.

I will not explain how to recover the lost space in sdb1. I leave that as an exercise :wink:

> devtmpfs and tmpfs are still there as before.

As should be.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

IIUYC, you think there’s space wasted on /dev/sdb1 because there’s a /home on /dev/sdb1?

The /etc/fstab fix tells the system that /home now resides on partition /dev/sdb2 and the system no longer cares about /home on /dev/sdb1.

IMHO, he can unmount /dev/sdb2 to rename the /dev/sdb1/home to /homeold,
then mount the /dev/sdb2 and copy any files he needs from /homeold to /home (/home on /dev/sdb2),
although I don’t think he would need any of the /homeold files,
then he can delete /homeold on /dev/sdb1.
Just a suggestion opened for criticism.

You forgot to create a new /home after your rename of /home /to /homeold. You can not mount when it does not exist.
And I doo not think both Carlos and you differn very much in how you solve it.

But the going to runlevel2 (or 1) is needed!

And to the OP. Do you understand what happens to your existing /home directory (that allready got files in it at the installation), when you mount your existing /home partition over it?
You should understand that thouroughly, else you will not understand the advices given above.

I didn’t think so. I thought the OP said he still had the original /home on /dev/sdb2 which wasn’t mounted, so he didn’t need to name a /home.

On 2010-07-29 21:36, tararpharazon wrote:
>
> IIUYC, you think there’s space wasted on /dev/sdb1 because there’s a
> /home on /dev/sdb1?

There is space wasted in the old /home directory when you mount a partition on that same existing
directory, because the old contents, whatever they were, are still there, hidden from view.

The procedure used has that side effect.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2010-07-29 23:06, tararpharazon wrote:
>
> I didn’t think so. I thought the OP said he still had the original /home
> on /dev/sdb2 which wasn’t mounted, so he didn’t need to name a /home.

The problem is this.

The OP had a root partition, /

The old /home partition was not mounted, thus “invisible”.

As he logged in, it is obvious that the install system created a /home directory in the root
partition. This partition will get some data, as the OP has used it.

The next step, as suggested, is to tell the partitioner to attach the /home partition and mount it
in /home - and this operation will mount the partition in the already existing and with files,
directory /home.

After boot all appears normal. Yes.

But in fact, the structure created in the /home directory of the root partition is still there,
hidden from view. It may be just a few megabytes, discardable. Or maybe not. It may have some
configuration files created by the install. Unknown.

In some cases, gigabytes have been lost this way.

Thus, the correct procedure is different, with the necessary switch to runlevel 1 or 2, and only
root logged in (or /home will be in use).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On a new install there are only a few meg used in home. If you really need them back the Carlos is quite correct. But this being a noobe and a new install I felt that KISS was good to follow. If you want them bytes back unmount the home partition and follow Carlos’s advice. And yes it need to be done with no GUI in a terminal logged on as root. I believe run level 3 should be fine but you may need to go to run level 1. Level 2 is undefined in Suse I believe.

I disagreed with Carlos ER over the amount of wasted space in /dev/sb1/home, I say Mbs.

My comment :

On 2010-07-29 23:06, tararpharazon wrote:
>
> I didn’t think so. I thought the OP said he still had the original /home
> on /dev/sdb2 which wasn’t mounted, so he didn’t need to name a /home.
was in reply toHcvv’s comment #8.

Thanks for the needed peer reviews, Peace.:slight_smile: