/home BACKUP

It’s great doing a fresh install of the next version of openSUSE knowing that my /home directory will be waiting with all my emails, files and settings intact (so long as I don’t format over it!). But what if I have a hard drive failure? A backup solution is required. For the life of me, and not for a lack of researching this topic, I can’t seem to find a noob-friendly (graphical) solution to simply backup and/or restore my /home directory. (I tried the backup/restore solution in Yast with no luck, but it could be operator error.)

Is there such a solution?

If your /home contents fit in 4GB, it could be as simple as dragging your home directory to the burn list for a DVD±RW in k3b.

luckybackup

luckyBackup KDE-Apps.org

I have tested this application and it works outstanding

If your /home contents fit in 4GB, it could be as simple as dragging your home directory to the burn list for a DVD±RW in k3b.

Sounds great! How do I restore from that???

luckybackup

luckyBackup KDE-Apps.org

I have tested this application and it works outstanding

I had JUST found this program on page 10 (?) of this forum. I installed and ran it and, so far, it looks to be what I’m looking for. The real test will be my computer at home. Lots of TLC went into configuration and there’s lots of files.

Thanks for your responses!!!

Just mount the DVD and copy files off it. If you do it this way, you might want to tick the burn option that says retain original ownership and permissions, otherwise on restore, they are all read-only, a minor hassle to change.

I have done a test run on LuckyBackup.

backed up my home directory (60 gigs)

Logged in as root and deleted everything in my home directory, rebooted and obviously everything was gone.

Then used LuckyBackup to restore everything, logged out and logged back in and everything was restored right down to the wallpaper and icons on the desktop. Not onlty will it restore files, but restores all your settings the way you had them.

It also does incremental backups.

Where do you think those settings go? … Right, in files in your $HOME. It is certainly no magic that all these things are back as your /home is back.