hi .can anyone send me a live dvd of the latest release of opensuse?

hi to all. i am from philippines and i want to try to use linux… i have researched and came up here in opensuse… my problem is i have an unstable internet connection in which i cannot download in the direct link. also, due to financial concerns. i cannot buy the dvd posted on the site… if someone with a goodheart would send me a copy of the dvd… or cds perhaps, it would be really a great help. godbless to all.

ps.this is my first post. so if am in the wrong section please move me to the correct one. thank you.:slight_smile:

> ps.this is my first post. so if am in the wrong section please move me
> to the correct one. thank you.:slight_smile:

thank you for your interest in Linux and openSUSE!

tell us about your hardware (i ask because openSUSE may not be a good
choice for your hardware…)

make/model? laptop?
amount of RAM?
CPU type/speed?
available hard drive space?
graphics card?
network via wireless? brand/model?

and, there is no live DVD…there is a live CD which can use to boot
up and try out openSUSE, but then if you want to install you will
probably need to do that from the DVD or find a need to download
lots of stuff…

in fact, even when installing from the DVD there will be lots of
packages which have already been updated and security/bugfix patched…

openSUSE is a fast moving, very near the leading edge system, patches
and updates come rather often…if you need a stable, dependable
system without a good internet connection to feed it, you may need a
less cutting edge, slower moving system…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

oh my bad. i dont meant to be as in not stable internet connection… i have stable internet connection but not that fast. to download the dvd which is 4gb… that would took atleast a day for me to download. and in no way my mother would allow me to do so… my pc is not high end , it has 2 gig ram only , core 2 duo and i have a plenty of hard drive space. i have 1gb nvidea video graphics card. . is it enough? thanks btw.

Your machine will work fine with openSUSE, a dualcore plus 2GB RAM is plenty.

Living in Germany I am afraid sending a DVD to the Phillipines will take at least a week, if not longer. Let’s hope someone living a little closer to you will be willing to do that favour. I personally would ask your mom a bit more. When you use the SuSE-torrent, it should be finished downloading after two nights or something (torrents can be resumed after being interrupted).

kesterpogz wrote:
> is it enough? thanks btw.

plenty good enough…i’d suggest you look here:
http://www.linux.org/groups/philippines.html

one of those user groups might have a disk they could loan you…i
mean, there might be a user who lives very near you…

i don’t have a 11.3 disk, and can’t burn one until i get a new
burner…so, i can’t help more…sorry…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

i have viewed the link but it seems no one is interested on giving free cds either dvds… also… also 4 of the links posted there are all dead…:frowning:

Again: take a look at the torrent.

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:36:01 +0000, kesterpogz wrote:

> i have viewed the link but it seems no one is interested on giving free
> cds either dvds… also… also 4 of the links posted there are all
> dead…:frowning:

In addition to the torrent option, I’ve noticed on distrowatch.org they
have links to places that offer discs to be shipped that are relatively
inexpensive.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Hi kesterpogz,

Late though it maybe, but if you’re still interested with openSUSE you could contact me. I have 11.2 running on a desktop and 11.3 running on VirtualBox on my notebook. If you lived in Metro Manila we could easily make an arrangement on how you can get a copy of installer from me.

Hi Kesterpogz, Welcome to the community,
I have the images resident on my box, I would be happy to burn and send a live CD and a full install DVD, I am in Florida, USA so it will take a while for mailing, if you like feel free to send your mailing address via the “send private message feature” tell me if you need the 32 bit or 64 bit versions, and your preference of KDE or Gnome desktops. Were always happy to share the delight of enlightenment and freedom.
Bear in mind however an actual full up to date install is still pretty internet intensive.

You can contact these people and see if they’ll send you a free (promo) 11.3 DVD Help the Project. Spread openSUSE DVDs!.

Basically, though, they say to email them at promodvds@opensuse.org and let them know where to send the DVDs. I would email them and tell them your situation. They may send it, or they may not and I have no idea how timely they are or what restrictions they are under.

Good Luck!

Not the dvd but i can give you the link naming new releases where you can have all the new movies.