Help

I am very new to any suse programs. I was given a laptop with it loaded on it. I’m just blundering my way through it right now but reading this is helping but also confusing. I would like to rip a dvd and then copy it. every post i read gives lots of answers but i would like a step by step list of programs that are needed and what they are for.
thank you for any help or info you can give

One of the moderators may do this for you but you should really ask this question in the Multimedia sub-forum.

Useful reference here:

Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums

Make sure you have the necessary community repos enabled. In particular, the Packman repo. It has the applications and codecs you will require. The k3b application can be used for copying DVDs.

This link explains a bit about some of the proprietary multimedia codecs required, and how to install them.

Moved to Multimedia

Andy

I use k9copy to backup my DVDs.

To install any software on openSUSE, you should first setup your software package manager repositories. There is guidance here for openSUSE-11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community
I recommend you setup ONLY the software repositories OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. No others. None. Just those 4. Only after you learn a lot more about openSUSE, and know the risks and problems likely and how to work around problems, should you add more. So only OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4.

Once you have those four setup, you can go to YaST > Software > Software Management and change the “filter” to “search” and search for k9copy. Select it and install it. With your repositories properly setup, the installation will be easy.

Then put in your DVD and run k9copy to backup your own paid for DVDs. The rest is pretty much intuitive.

KDE3 version of k9copy - PackMan :: Package details for k9copy
KDE4 version of k9copy - PackMan :: Package details for kde4-k9copy
K9copy web site: K9Copy - a Linux DVD shrink

The above URL are just for information. Follow my previous post guidance for installation details.