help with ssh-it doesn't make sense

My machine has a clean install of 13.2 with all the updates. From a remote machine on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.50-opensuse, 192.168.1.9-windoz box), I can establish a ssh session using putty and specifying 192.168.1.50 as the target. The opensuse machine is connected to the my router via wifi. All works fine.

I use a redirect service with a domain name to point to my opensuse machine which is behind my ISP’s router. I had(previously) set up port forwarding ssh on port 22 to another machine (which was working fine). The opensuse machine is the replacement.
In my router, I edited my forwarding table to point to the opensuse machine specifying the wireless mac address as well as ensuring it is static (actually ‘reserved’). For my redirect service, I edited the domain name to contain the host name of the opensuse machine, e.g. myopensuse.servep2p.com.

From the windowz machine I can ping the opensuse machine by specifying the local subnet address, I can also ping it by specifying myopensuse.servep2p.com. I get a timeout error when I try to create a ssh connection via putty to myopensuse.servep2p.com, as well as by specifying the ip address that is reported by my redirect service.

I can also ping the opensuse machine from the redirect service website. This tells me that packets are hitting the opensuse machine but for some reason, ssh doesn’t respond with the username prompt from a remote machine.

I am at a loss as to why I can remotely connect to my opensuse machine via putty outside of my local subsent but yet I can ping it. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it?

I haven’t changed any of the config file entries, e.g. this is a ‘out of the box’ configuration.

Much appreciated…
J

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:46:01 +0000, three jeeps wrote:

> I am at a loss as to why I can remotely connect to my opensuse machine
> via putty outside of my local subsent but yet I can ping it. Any
> suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Check the firewall on the system.

Remember as well that if you’re using NAT with port forwarding, a ping
isn’t going to go through the firewall, but instead will be the router
responding when you ping from outside the local network.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

opensuse has firewall is disabled.
My router has firewall disabled as well…

additional info:
sshd service is active (running)
the result of iptables -L is ACCEPT for input, forward, and output

netstat -planet shows ssh is listening on port 22 and has established a connection on 192.168.1.50 (the static address of my opensuse box)

Anything else to check on the opensuse side???

RESOLVED…Cockpit error…

In entering the ip address at the site that does the redirect, I typed: xxx.xxx.xxx.255 and it should have been: xxx.xxx.xxx.225

late day + tired eyes + small fonts + dyslexia = dumb arse mistake! + 3 wasted hrs…

Thanks for all the help!

Well…maybe not fully resolved…

from the CL in my opensuse box, if I try: ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx I am able to connect

if I try ssh myopensuse.foo.com, it times out…

What am I missing?

fyi, the hostname of my open suse box is different than the name entered in my redirect site. hostname is opensuse.foo.com and the name at the redirect site is myopensuse.foo.com. I don’t think it should make a difference unless for some reason, opensuse is trying a local loopback…but even if it was, it would not get a name match and would go outside the box…
So, I still have a bit of a mystery
thanks
J

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:06:01 +0000, three jeeps wrote:

> three_jeeps;2754639 Wrote:
>> RESOLVED…Cockpit error…
>>
>> In entering the ip address at the site that does the redirect, I typed:
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.255 and it should have been: xxx.xxx.xxx.225
>>
>> late day + tired eyes + small fonts + dyslexia = dumb arse mistake! + 3
>> wasted hrs…
>>
>> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Well…maybe not fully resolved…
>
> from the CL in my opensuse box, if I try: ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx I am
> able to connect
>
> if I try ssh myopensuse.foo.com, it times out…
>
> What am I missing?
>
> fyi, the hostname of my open suse box is different than the name entered
> in my redirect site. hostname is opensuse.foo.com and the name at the
> redirect site is myopensuse.foo.com. I don’t think it should make a
> difference unless for some reason, opensuse is trying a local
> loopback…but even if it was, it would not get a name match and would
> go outside the box…
> So, I still have a bit of a mystery thanks J

Try seeing what myopensuse.foo.com resolves to. You can use whois or
nslookup to see what it resolves to.