Help With LiveCd Install/Running

Im using a Dell dimension 2400 Celeron 2.4 ghz processor with 1 gig ram, a ati 256mb PCI graphics card with a viewsonic moniter. Ive spent a few days reading and trying various dist. and use the questioneer which said that OpenSuse would be best, did the download for 11 and mdchksum, rebooted re-trying a few times, each time it went to the green screen choose opensuse 11 it runs for awhile and the white progress bar shows it running, then switches to black screen and this appeard: (none): /#, okay rebooted went back to windows and re-read on forums so i did the [esc-key] so i could put into text mode to see what was b4 the above. the command line before was as follows:

starting hal daemonCreating X config

“it then clears the screen and shows:”

(none): /#

as you can tell im a major newbie, used to be a major programer when i was young but didnt keep up with it (when i mean young,I worked in COBOL,RPG,Basic,Basica,GWBasic,DOS 2.0 and even remember card readers) anyways really want to get back into the game, I also want to learn C or C++ but for now want to get this to work and will go from there. Thank in advance for any and all information!

From what I can see, you can not even boot to the Live CD.

Try a different resolution setting … ie when the initial Live CD screen comes up with the choice of “Boot from hard disk”, “installation”, “repair installed system”, … etc … press F3 and choose a low resolution video mode, and see if that helps. (maybe try 800x600 or worst case 640x480). I believe there is a VESA option (that you can try) which should work at 800x600. There is also an option to choose text screens for installation … Once you have a successful install, the resolution can be changed later. … and also custom proprietary ATI drivers can be installed later.

Don’t forget to read our stickie on installing:
NEWBIES - Suse-11.0 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

If you have a SATA driver and are having problems there, the stickie provides some guidance.

Also, run the media check. There is also a firmware test and memory test you can try.

Sometimes, something as simple as removal of a non-critical USB device, or swapping a USB mouse for a PS-2 mouse, can make a difference in a successful or non-successful install.