Help! Power failure, system rebooted to CLI, now what?

First time I encountered this … the power on my street went out overnight, and I came home to a rebooted computer at the command line. I shut it down and rebooted again, also tried the failsafe mode, but it keeps going to the command line. Looked in the BIOS and it didn’t see my hard drive settings. But I can see the HD fine when I booted using the live CD (that’s how I am able to post here.)

What do I do !!??

First time I encountered this … the power on my street went out overnight, and I came home to a rebooted computer at the command line. I shut it down and rebooted again, also tried the failsafe mode, but it keeps going to the command line. Looked in the BIOS and it didn’t see my hard drive settings. But I can see the HD fine when I booted using the live CD (that’s how I am able to post here.)

What do I do !!??
So, if we boot up openSUSE and end up a terminal prompt, then just X is not loading, a graphics thing. What graphics card does your computer use? If you load a separate video driver (nVIDIA or AMD for instance), we may need to reload it.

When you have a sudden power failure, it can corrupt the hard drive. A program like GPARTED, run from a LiveCD can be used to check your EXT4 partitions used for root / and /home which may have some sort of corruption that can be fixed.

A computer that runs all of the time and then loses power and setup, might be in need of a new CMOS battery. Did you get any sort of BIOS error when you first rebooted the computer?

I think that if a GPARTED disk can’t fix the problem, it may be time to reload. It is not good to say the BIOS can’t see the hard drive, yet say it can be seen by a LiveCD. That generally does not make sense. For instance, a PC that has a USB 3 drive/port might have that problem (not bootable, but works after a Live CD has loaded) , but it is not very common to see that.

Thank You,

Well this is odd … I called a 'nix-savvy friend for help, rebooted without the live CD so I can be back where the problem was, and this time it booted normally. Did running the live CD somehow fix the problem?

Well this is odd … I called a 'nix-savvy friend for help, rebooted without the live CD so I can be back where the problem was, and this time it booted normally. Did running the live CD somehow fix the problem?
To answer your question, it depends on what you did with the LiveCD but, it is possible it fixed the hard disk partitions, if you mounted this some how. Its possible the BIOS did fix itself, recognizing the built-in hard drive properly. This is an example of why buying a UPS is kind of important. It is possible to get one that works with Linux. I purchased an APC brand (highly recommended) version which works with the apc utility in our openSUSE repositories and connects by USB. Short power failures just don’t come through the UPS and an extended loss of power will cause the apc software to shutdown the computer properly before the battery runs out. Anyway, don’t spend money you don’t have, but for less than $100 US an added level of protection for power events can be added to your PC.

Thank You,

On 2011-06-22 03:06, ekoblentz wrote:
>
> Well this is odd … I called a 'nix-savvy friend for help, rebooted
> without the live CD so I can be back where the problem was, and this
> time it booted normally. Did running the live CD somehow fix the
> problem?

If it did an fsck, yes.

You said that the system booted to text mode, but you did not say with what
messages. I’m sure there were some text messages, saying WHY. It is
important to read those messages.

My guess is that the system was asking you to run a manual fsck.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)