HELP PLEASE

So, I desperately need help figuring out this problem. I had multiple OSs installed on my 80gb harddrive and, when I decided I wanted to start from scratch, I went into windows xp device manager and formatted the drive. There is a 75.??GB NTFS partition and a 39mb partition (that I cannot delete). However, whenever I turn on my Asus EEE PC 1000h, it skips the bios screen and goes to a Grub error 22.

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB Loading, please wait…
error 22

Is there anything I can do? I really need help getting this fixed. I was thinking about using Boot and Nuke or some program to completely wipe the drive.

Please help ASAP!

Hello! on a asus this is a mini laptop, the advice i would give is to go to restore in the windows program and restore to an earlier date in the calandar. this might help restore the partition.
OR
if you want a dual boot first install the windows from the beginning,then before you install the add on software install linux and if it is SUSE 11.0 shrink the windows partition and install linux that way.( NOTE ) on some of the windows systems you have to delete the recovery partition (and do not format it ) for what ever reason linux will not install using that partition.
if you have any problems let us know there is plenty of help here…

That doens’t help at all. The other 39mb is an EFI partition and I cannot delete that partition. I really need some advice on this!

I’ve reformatted the drive, and it does nothing. I have not deleted the EFI which, I have learned, is a FAT system, right? So that must be where GRUB is trying to boot from, because it can’t be anywehre else. The problem is, windows won’t let me erase that partition.

Please help!

Also, I cannot boot from Cd. Bios screen doesn’t appear. It goes straight to GRUB error.

I can’t tell if you have 2 partitions that you don’t want to delete or 2 partitions that you tried and failed to delete. If you don’t want to save the 2 partitions, nuke the drive. You seem to have 114 GB on an 80 GB drive. That alone would be enough for me to nuke & pave.

Once that’s done, install XP. Set it up the way you want and get all the updates. Then, install opensuse and take the default suggestions. You will probably end up with a drive that has 40 GB for XP and the same for opensuse. Don’t try to fix or manage any part of the install. Take the defaults. That may not be true with Vista, but its a good idea with XP.

Alternatively, you could search the forum for multiboot problems. There is a ton of information on this topic and you may find a solution. From your description, you may have an extended partition and that can be saved. Also, look here, at swerdna’s page. It has helped many of us.

Fortunately I just do cloud computing on this computer, so no data loss. I did, however, figure out how to fix my problem. The GRUB bootloader was hidden in the EFI 39mb file system that windows could not delete from within disk management.

Here’s where I get smart, I took the drive out of my laptop, put it in another laptop (which was then unable to read the EFI system), started up XP disc and formatted from the XP install cd. Worked great. Everything is formatted and ready to go.

Thanks for all that read/helped.

Couple of eee tips I’ve picked up:

Don’t muck around with partitions on fast boot mode. In fact, just don’t use fast boot mode. It boots in about 30 seconds. How fast do you need to boot?

If failing to get into the bios, hold F2, then switch it on. Try several times. If it won’t work, removed the power and attempt it on battery - occasionally works for reasons unknown, apparently. Also, the very act of removing the power adapter and putting it back in resets something - I’ve frequently found it won’t boot, but doing that fixes it.

There is a factory reset switch on the bottom of the eee - it’s hidden, usually under the sticker with the serial number on it. I think it’s one of the ones you put a pin in, but I’ve never had to try, so don’t know.

Also, apparently whatever happens (on the Linux version anyway) you need the third partition to flash the bios. Leave it be - it doesn’t take up much space.