Help me with new hardware

Hallo,
It’s time to change my aging desktop (Athlon 64 3200+ !).
I am between AMD A8-3850 and Intel Core i5-2320.
I try to find some linux benchmarks since I don’t give a **** about Far Cry, for example.
Does anyone has any of those systems?
If so, will be kind enough to describe (or post numbers) about he experience with the following:

1. KDE with all effects and all background process enabled?
  2. Video trans-coding (basically, I want to process x264 videos from my camera)
  3. General purpose computing (Internet, mails, office suites etc).
  4. Compatibility with openSUSE 11.3/11.4, especially for SATA III and USB 3

Thank you in advance
Peter

Hallo,
It’s time to change my aging desktop (Athlon 64 3200+ !).
I am between AMD A8-3850 and Intel Core i5-2320.
I try to find some linux benchmarks since I don’t give a **** about Far Cry, for example.
Does anyone has any of those systems?
If so, will be kind enough to describe (or post numbers) about he experience with the following:

1. KDE with all effects and all background process enabled?
  2. Video trans-coding (basically, I want to process x264 videos from my camera)
  3. General purpose computing (Internet, mails, office suites etc).
  4. Compatibility with openSUSE 11.3/11.4, especially for SATA III and USB 3

Thank you in advance
Peter

So I have used Intel i7’s, but not either of the CPU’s you mention. I will say that in general, Intel has everyone beat in CPU speed and AMD does better with Graphics and often on price. All of the new integrated graphic soultions from both Intel and AMD are still somewhat immature with uneven graphics support though work is ongoing with additions being placed into the kernel right up to the next major kernel release 3.1. If I was buying today, it is my opinion I would go with Intel and buy a nVIDIA based graphic card. In the future, you could always pull the video card and switch back to the Sandy Bridge built in graphics. nVIDIA, which does require a proprietary video driver most of the time (not always though) seems to be the most compatible and fastest in Linux, if you consider the most leading edge graphic chip sets. nVIDIA does often require the added kernel load option called nomodeset. AMD seems to have more graphics issues in openSUSE when you look at the problems that come up in the forum. Now for AMD CPU’s, I like their price to speed ratio and had only good luck with AMD CPU’s. However, pound for pound and CPU cycle per cycle, Intel is simply faster. We all must drop back though and consider that Linux is simple faster than Windows on the same machine. There are lots of reasons for this, but you certainly do not need the fastest CPU to get very good performance from Linux. So, in the end, your pocket book and the best deal you can find will determine what your final selection will be. One thing is for sure, we wish you the absolute best luck in your hardware selection and hope you will come back and allow us to help you in any way that we can with your new computer.

Thank You,

James pretty much already gave an excellent answer, but I just thought I would add that Phoronix is a great place to find comparative benchmarks for different CPUs and GPUs. Unfortunately, I was unable to find test results for the i5-2320, though is someone here has one, perhaps they could run the Phoronix Test Suite and you could compare it to the AMD results below.

Phoronix Global - Szarak Testing

[Phoronix] Intel Core i5 2500K Linux Performance Review](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_corei5_2500k&num=1)

However, in a nutshell I would say go with an i7, or perhaps the i5-2500 above and if you find graphics lacking, slap in a mid range nVidia GPU - you would be amazed how well a $100 to $150 nVidia card performs. Take the money you save from NOT buying the bleeding edge CPU and GPU and instead invest in high performance memory and an excellent motherboard. Honestly, the motherboard and memory are often very much overlooked in their importance. I have a EVGA P55 FTW board - it is fantastic.

Cheers,
Pete

Guys, thank you both.
Pete, the reason that I post here is because I found no relevant benches in openbenchmarking.org, pity…

My budget is limited, around 350€, which is more or less 450$. So, i7 is not an option. i5 can be in my target, but, I cannot buy a distinct vga card. So, I am forced to use IGPs.

How about the compatibility?

• Is USB3 issues I have read solved? Should I wait for openSUSE 12.1?
  • SATA III ?

Thank you for your answers, guys.

I’m not aware of ‘linux’ bench marks other than what one typically will see on Phoronix. But when comparing CPUs, it typically does not matter what OS is in use as it is all relative. So for general purpose computing (your item-2 (video transcoding) and item-3 (general purpose) I would typically look here: PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

Wrt KDE performance that IMHO tends to be a mix of graphics and CPU. I can’t help there other than you may simply need to apply your own judgement after having looked at video card benchmark and CPU benchmark.

Wrt Compatibilty with SATA-III and USB 3, I can’t comment on SATA III but I can say USB 3 is a hardware hit or miss situation wrt operating system compatibility. The USB 3 devices I have provide only top end USB 2 performance independant of what Operating System is in use. So a suggestion of caution there - ie DON’T expect too much due to hardware compatibility reasons.

Charts are not very helpful, because according to them A8-3850 is better than most i3 and on par with i5, but phoronics says the opposite!
Anyway, the most important information are the USB/SATA 3 and you helped a lot. I hope that someone else will post his on-hands experience.
Thank you,