Help Installing Driver For ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Card

Hi

What is the most recent procedure for installing Linux SUSE driver for above card. Is it still as ATI site says:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.28.8.html

“1. Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux driver download.
2. Enter the command sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run to launch the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer. The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed.”

Or is there now a more friendly one click option like NVIDIA. I am trying an unofficial Xfce SUSE distro on some older Athlon XP hardware.

Or is there now a more friendly one click option like NVIDIA. I am trying an unofficial Xfce SUSE distro on some older Athlon XP hardware.

Which version of openSUSE are you referring to?

The 9200 chipset is no longer supported via recent ATI drivers, and only recent drivers will run with the Xorg server version installed with openSUSE 11.3. So a lot of legacy ATI chipsets are now only supported via the open source radeon driver.

Check here (post #18) by oldcpu) for details:

openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

This might be helpful as well:

SDB:Radeon - openSUSE

Ah, OK, will see how the open source driver fares. In *buntu the mouse cursor would come & go so thought I’d try SUSE 11.3.