Help installing AP Radar please

I am trying to locate a rogue dhcp server which hijacks my dhcp connection. I was intending to use AP Radar to sniff out possible sources but am having trouble building it. One dependency is libgtkmm2.0_1-devel-2.2.8-2mdk. I can find libgtkmm2 and 3 but not the -devel packages. Please could somebody advise.
Possibly better, can somebody suggest another (newer?) stumbler which I might use instead on openSUSE 12.3.
Budgie2

That’s an old Mandriva library. It’s a very old application. I had a quick look at AP Radar : Linux/GTK+ Network Stumbler and Wireless Configuration Client and the wiki page linked to it. (I can’t see that it offers any advantage, over the standard CLI tools for scanning other nearby wireless networks). I guess if you really want to persist with this, you could try searching for a src.rpm via rpm.pbone or similar and rebuild it.

Depending on your wifi hardware, kismet may do the job you require

Kismet

and openSUSE packages are available

software.opensuse.org:

Hi and thanks for the advice. I have decided to go for Kismet as it is more suitable and many more references to it in my library. I had found the openSUSE package but that version is quite old so thought I would build form source.

For reason I do not understand I have an error during compile:

configure: error: Failed to find libcurses or libncurses.  Install them or disable building the Kismet client with --disable-client.  Disabling the client is probably not something you want to do normally.

The point is I do have libncurses installed at least libncurses5 and libncurses6. The old ones are not offered on openSUSE repo. Is this the reason why the ./configure fails?

Grateful for some help if you have time please.
Budgie2

On 2013-11-09 18:16, Budgie2 wrote:

> The point is I do have libncurses installed at least libncurses5 and

But do you have the corresponding *-devel package installed?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Just got round to that and no they were not.
Many thanks.
Budgie2

After installing the devel packages I was able to build. As recommended I ran make suidinstall to install as suid-root and all went well but…
I am supposed to add my user to the kismet group. Problem is there is no kismet group available in the groups menu when I try to do this. Could this be a fault with my build or am I missing something?

Regards,
Budgie2

You can create the group first with

groupadd kimset

or via the YaST >> Security and Users >> User and Group Management, navigate to Groups folder, add a new group name…

Once that’s done, add the user to the group.