help for wireless setup (recent 10.3 to 11.0 update)

i have gone through the stickied post by lwfinger to figure what i need to to.

06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)

sbin/lspci -n
06:00.0 0280: 8086:4229 (rev 61)

(not finished with info, i have to reboot to suse to get more info)


iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux, 1.2.23ks
iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
PCI: Enabling device 0000:06:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:00.0 to 64
iwl4965: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
iwl4965: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm ‘iwl-4965-rs’

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
PM: Writing back config space on device 0000:06:00.0 at offset 1 (was 100002, writing 100006)
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

i am not sure if this tells me if i have the firmware installed or not, if someone could tell me i would appreciate it. also, i have found the firmware for iwl4965 at:
iwl4965 - Linux Wireless

i did check and iwl4965 is in the /lib/firmware location.

here is the last bit:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

the one i want
sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
Cell 03 - Address: 00:12:88:2D:F9:51
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=92/100 Signal level=-39 dBm Noise level=-127 dBm
Encryption key: on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

would someone be so kind at to give some directions on what i need to look for and what to do.

well, after all that i just had to check the configuration in YaST/Network Devices/Network Settings and tell it to activate device at boot. dont know why it was turned off, but it was. now it is up and working.


good work thalo; you did a great job entering all the data you were asked for; and you got it fixed yourself! Good work!

thanks for the encouragement, now to tackle all the other little tweaks.