Help!!!! Eee Pc Starts makes the start sound and then the good bye sound and repeats that

Hello everyone,

I’ve got an urgent problem! I had some viruses as my program told me and in the end I had to restart my eee pc!
Problem is now after it starts and you click on the log me in icon for the netbook it makes the nice hello sound, takes some time and then does the shut down (goodbye) sound. So basically the netbook booted already right? But I cant log myself in! What can I do?
Is there a safty reboot? Heeeelp!! Please!!!

Linux doesn’t have virus’s to date! The structure of a Linux box makes the possibility of a virus virtually impossible except for if you are running as root and enable a downloaded Linux compatible malicious script or something to run, but no self-respecting person would ever do this.

So, what program and OS were you running when the damage / virus warning occured! I am thinking you might have downloaded an email or something in either Windose or Linux and saved the result to a windose partition. Then gone into Windose and run the infected download which can damage GRUB in the mbr. If this is your case, use a Linux recovery DVD to fix GRUB.

Hey sorry it is actually a WIndows Xp!
A friend said the virus might have programmed it that the system always restarts after start or sth!! What can I do now? There is no CD Slot either!

I have encountered a similar virus. I think it is a worm, infecting old Windows XPs, typically right after installation or connection to Internet.

You can run live Linux, install a Linux antivirus for Windows (is free), mount the Windows partition and scan it. If the virus is not very new, it will be detected. Don’t know hiw high the chance of curing is.

Being a netbook, you only a few options.

1. Return to place of purchase and pay for Windows to be restored.
  2. Buy an external DVD USB and (if you have a Windows XP recovery DVD for it) Restore from that
  3. If your fortunate enough to have a recovery option on the power-up screen you can use that option
  4. See if you can borrow a DVDRW USB External and do one of:
  • Restore from your Windows DVD back-up

• Buy a copy of Windows XP Professional to restore your system

• If your up to a challenge, obtain a Linux version LIVE CD from openSUSE or Ubuntu and make the switch to a free OS.

An external DVDRW drive will set you back ~$80 USD.

Silly Question, did you not notice the first time you used your machine it making a strong recommendation to create back-up DVD’s before you use the unit? This should have been enough warning that you need these.

If you do decide to try out Linux, please do some online reading about it. If your just writing documents, doing email, browsing the www and maybe doing some chat you will find Linux will respond very close to Windows but without the viral risks. As you go further into it with music, games, video, networking, and regular maintenance issues you will rapidly discover that while Linux is infinitely more powerful, secure, and stable, it is also more complex and not like windows is at all.

good luck

Le 25/04/2010 14:56, techwiz03 a écrit :

> Being a netbook, you only a few options.

what about bring an USB linux distro? Mandriva sell one and most,
including openSUSE can be installed on usb key (from any other
computer, of course)

jdd

Valid point, I am going at it from the standpoint that we have a Windows user without any Linux experience, and an undetermined amount of resource.

OP doesn’t say he access to machine that will allow him to create a USB version.

He has asked how to fix his Windows problem. When he asks for help to obtain a Linux version that is a different story.

Le 25/04/2010 15:36, techwiz03 a écrit :

> He has asked how to fix his Windows problem. When he asks for help to
> obtain a Linux version that is a different story.
>
>
aren’t we on an openSUSE forum? I don’t plan to discuss here Windows
debugging (even if I can manage it :slight_smile:

jdd

Le 25/04/2010 15:36, techwiz03 a écrit :

> OP doesn’t say he access to machine that will allow him to create a USB
> version.

that’s too bad :frowning:

I just dl a kde4 live openSUSE cd, dd it to an USB stick and it booted
perfectly

this, at least, can be seen for future use as life saver…

http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick

jdd

Yes, he came to the wrong place for windows help, but we are a far better people here (at least I hope we are) where we can explain the alternatives including that openSUSE has something to offer that would be better than what he is using.

Yes, and there we have it. When/If he or others do decide to switch thier netbooks/laptops/desktops over there is a ready made guide to doing it.

Yes, and there we have it. When/If he or others do decide to switch thier netbooks/laptops/desktops over there is a ready made guide to doing it.