[HELP] (Broadcom 43225) WiFi Not Working!

**log of events
my first “mesg | less” revealed this:

12.135423] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
   12.213915] b43-phy0: Broadcom 43225 WLAN found (core revision 23)
   12.214360] b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 8, Type 4 (N), Revision 6
   12.214989] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded  Features: PMNLS ]
   12.223238] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode16_mimo.fw" not found
   12.223242] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode16_mimo.fw" not found
   12.223244] b43-phy0 ERROR: Please open a terminal and enter the command "sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware" to download the correct firmware for this driver version. For an off-line installation, go to http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)/Broadcom_BCM43xx and follow the instructions in the "Installing firmware from RPM packages" section.

so i ran “sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware” and it successfully downloaded and installed b43legacy firmware. i rebooted, still no wifi.

i one-click installed broadcom-wl drivers from a repository. rebooted, still no wifi.

i downloaded larry’s file with the same b43legacy firmware (as described here) and installed it. rebooted, still no wifi.
the following data was obtained following the instructions in larry’s thread:**

“/sbin/lspci”

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

“/sbin/lspci -n”

01:00.0 0200: 14e4:1692 (rev 01)
02:00.0 0280: 14e4:4357 (rev 01)

“dmesg | less”

11.638339] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: attached PHY driver [Broadcom BCM57780] (mii_bus:phy_addr=100:01)
   11.638342] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
   11.638344] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]

<snip>

**   12.247783] wl: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
   12.247789] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
   12.279634] INFO @wl_cfg80211_attach : Registered CFG80211 phy
   12.427170] lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'
   12.427366] eth1: Broadcom BCM4357 802.11 Hybrid Wireless Controller 5.100.82.112**

<snip>

17.293048] ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
   17.314976] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (16384 buckets, 65536 max)
   17.320054] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
   18.116253] tg3 0000:01:00.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
   18.127389] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
   18.523791] Bridge firewalling registered
   18.533514] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
   18.537621] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): br0: link is not ready
   18.650011] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: Link is down
   20.656939] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex
   20.656948] tg3 0000:01:00.0 eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX
   20.656967] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
   20.657044] br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
   20.657052] br0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
   20.657068] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): br0: link becomes ready
   21.047281] NET: Registered protocol family 17

“/usr/sbin/iwconfig”

br0       no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

lo        no wireless extensions.

“sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan”

br0       Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

yast hardware info:**
wirelass lan present
-broadcom wlan controller
–kernel driver: wl

“dmesg | grep firmware” returns nothing

“sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan”

br0       Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

“iwconfig”

br0       no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

lo        no wireless extensions.

really need some help here! i don’t know what else to do!
review**

1. downloaded b43legacy firmware and installed
  2. downloaded broadcom-wl drivers and installed
  3. rebooted, no wifi

**just did this:

zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'broadcom-wl' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'broadcom-wl-5.100.82.112-19.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop' is already installed.
There is an update candidate for 'broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop', but it is from different vendor. Use 'zypper install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6.x86_64' to install this candidate.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
zypper install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6.x86_64
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 633.9 KiB. After the operation, additional 3.0 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
Retrieving package broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6.x86_64         (1/1), 633.9 KiB (  3.0 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6.x86_64.rpm ..............................[done (8.2 KiB/s)]
(1/1) Installing: broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6 ...............................................[done]

will reboot now and see if it works!

no luck. not only did it not work, now my ethernet connection doesn’t work either! i can’t understand how i can install fedora, ubuntu, mint and gentoo and wifi works with literally zero effort, and this great os is such a pain! it’s absurd. i really want opensuse, but at this rate it’s just not feasible. if anybody has any solutions, please tell me. i’ve spent the better part of a day and a half googling, reading, and tinkering to try and get wifi working but all i’ve managed to do is somehow disable internet altogether. even ethernet isn’t working now.

please help!

Please try to reinstall the broadcom-wl package:

sudo zypper in -f broadcom-wl

By having the two packages from different repos and then reinstalling the kmp package from the other repo you may have removed the necessary blacklist file.

Then reboot, enter YaST->Network Settings, and switch to “User controlled with NetworkManager” on the Global Options tab.
If that is already selected, switch to “Traditional method with ifup”, press OK, enter it again and switch back.

Does this help?

Question: was this a recent, clean install? Then reinstall, it’s very hard from your side to work without a networkconnection, from our side since you can’t copy/paste output here, This would at least provide you with a working wired connection, and people here with a clear state of your system. IIRC there a recent thread on a 43227 chips, AFAIK that’s the way it should work for you too. And, run all the updates on the system before moving to the broadcom stuff.

Ah, well, you don’t have any network at all now, do you?

So forget that zypper line, just create the blacklist file /etc/modprobe.d/50-broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf yourself with the following content:

# modules blacklisted for broadcom-wl
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist ssb
blacklist b43
blacklist ndiswrapper
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist bcma
blacklist brcmsmac

Then try the YaST thing I suggested.

Or try the YaST thing before, maybe it will give you back your ethernet.

i’ll try now. i just rebooted and ethernet is working again

so:

1. reinstall broadcom-wl
  2. reboot
  3. reconfig network settings
  4. hopefully wifi works?

okay. i’ll give it a shot. thanks!

yes. somehow i have ethernet back again. so i’ll try the first method you suggest. wish me luck. i’ll brb

it’s a recent install. if ethernet sticks around i’ll keep persisting. if not, i will either do a fresh install or revert back to fedora (but i don’t really want to do this)

i successfully reinstalled broadcom-wl and rebooted. then when i did the network settings reconfig it booted me into console and hung on wpa_supplicant. couldn’t do anything, it just froze. strangely, the wifi light is now on, but alas i still have no wifi :frowning:

decided to run with this idea. the dysfunction got the better of me and i didn’t know what else to do! i am reinstalling fedora now as i need the functionality and can’t afford wasting another couple hours when there is no guarantee wifi will work on opensuse after a reinstall. once i have a properly functioning os in fedora again, i will install opensuse to another partition and try get wifi working. at least if it still refuses to work i have a reliable os in fedora and can work on fixing the unreliable opensuse as time allows. it’s really poor when such inconsistencies and dysfunction exists on large operating systems in 2013. shame, i really like opensuse :frowning:

I can guarantee it does work in openSUSE. Just checked, wife has a Broadcom 43225, it works with latest kernel and broadcom-wl packages.

great! what process did you take?

install os w/ ethernet functionality –> sudo …/install_bcm43xx_firmware –> download broadcom-wl drivers –> reboot > wifi works?

because i’m going to install opensuse again now to a new partition and see if i can get wifi again. i really hope it works!

But be sure to take both broadcom-wl packages from Packman.
And the firmware is available as rpm there as well, maybe that would work better?
PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket b43-firmware

But better wait for Knurpht’s reply on this…

yes, download broadcom-wl and broadcom-wl-desktop. i did this last time. you think downloading the firmware from there is better than the suggested

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

?

i don’t think i understand, do i need to download and install fwcutter:

sudo zypper install b43-fwcutter

and do it prior to installation of the bcm firmware?

just made it to the end of the fresh installation and it informs me it cannot install the bootloader! lol. exact same procedure as last suse install was followed, can’t understand this. never had so many problems with an os in my life. it would be funny if i hadn’t already wasted 2 days on trying to have a fully operational system. this is ridiculous-another 2 hours wasted!

No idea. But at least you’ll have it all nicely packaged there.

Oh, and the first time (post #1) at least, you did not install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop from Packman. Otherwise zypper wouldn’t have told you:

‘broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop’ is already installed.
There is an update candidate for ‘broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop’, but it is from different vendor. Use ‘zypper install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.112_k3.7.10_1.16-11.6.x86_64’ to install this candidate.

That’s why I specifically mentioned that again. Mixing the packages from different repos might cause problems.

i don’t think i understand, do i need to download and install fwcutter:

sudo zypper install b43-fwcutter

and do it prior to installation of the bcm firmware?

Not that I am aware of. As far as I can see, fwcutter is for extracting the firmware out of the Windows drivers. If you install the firmware package, you already have the firmware and don’t have to extract it from any Windows driver I would say.

Please note that I don’t have personal experience with broadcom chips.
And my RT2573-based WLAN stick just worked out of the box ever since I first connected it… :wink:

just made it to the end of the fresh installation and it informs me it cannot install the bootloader! lol. exact same procedure as last suse install was followed, can’t understand this. never had so many problems with an os in my life. it would be funny if i hadn’t already wasted 2 days on trying to have a fully operational system. this is ridiculous-another 2 hours wasted!

Sorry to hear.
Maybe the Fedora installer did something openSUSE’s installer can’t cope with?
Never had a problem like this either.

But I guess if you want to solve this you should open a new thread.

“sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware” and “zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop” is easy enough to get and install the firmware and drivers i guess

Oh, and the first time (post #1) at least, you did not install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop from Packman. Otherwise zypper wouldn’t have told you:

That’s why I specifically mentioned that again. Mixing the packages from different repos might cause problems.

i mean in an attempt to get wifi working both required drivers (wl and desktop) and firmware were installed before i gave up. but what do you mean mixing different packages? i shouldn’t have installed larry’s file?

Not that I am aware of. As far as I can see, fwcutter is for extracting the firmware out of the Windows drivers. If you install the firmware package, you already have the firmware and don’t have to extract it from any Windows driver I would say.

Please note that I don’t have personal experience with broadcom chips.
And my RT2573-based WLAN stick just worked out of the box ever since I first connected it… :wink:

this was my impression, but it’s confusing the way the page is laid out

Sorry to hear.
Maybe the Fedora installer did something openSUSE’s installer can’t cope with?
Never had a problem like this either.

But I guess if you want to solve this you should open a new thread.

maybe fedora changed something, but i can’t see what. just starting another reinstall now. honestly, i’m really disappointed in all of this. i don’t have a lot of nice things to say about windows or osx, but in terms of installing a fully operational and stable os they are still many generations ahead of linux. just today my laptop running LMDE froze when trying to wake from sleep, was forced to do a hard reset and the os subsequently crashed and became unusable! lol

anyway, thanks for helping. hopefully this install works. fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Just as “zypper in b43-firmware broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop” is. :wink:
As I said, I don’t know which one works better, if any.

i mean in an attempt to get wifi working both required drivers (wl and desktop) and firmware were installed before i gave up. but what do you mean mixing different packages? i shouldn’t have installed larry’s file?

I don’t know what “larry’s file” is, sorry.
But the 2 Packman packages “broadcom-wl” and “broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop” belong together.
You had installed broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop from somewhere else. You can do that, but don’t install broadcom-wl from Packman then. If you need another package as well in this case depends on from where you got that in the first place.

maybe fedora changed something, but i can’t see what. just starting another reinstall now. honestly, i’m really disappointed in all of this. i don’t have a lot of nice things to say about windows or osx, but in terms of installing a fully operational and stable os they are still many generations ahead of linux. just today my laptop running LMDE froze when trying to wake from sleep, was forced to do a hard reset and the os subsequently crashed and became unusable! lol

Well, regarding drivers (network especially), Windows can be a pain as well (at least if you don’t have the manufacturer’s driver CD at hand).

yes, this is true! and all from the same packman repo

I don’t know what “larry’s file” is, sorry.
But the 2 Packman packages “broadcom-wl” and “broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop” belong together.
You had installed broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop from somewhere else. You can do that, but don’t install broadcom-wl from Packman then. If you need another package as well in this case depends on from where you got that in the first place.

see larry’s sticky in this forum. he made a file containing the firmware for usb installation in the case of no network at all. i installed the broadcom firmware direct from opensuse and both the drivers from packman

Well, regarding drivers (network especially), Windows can be a pain as well (at least if you don’t have the manufacturer’s driver CD at hand).

i don’t agree with this. i’ve never had a problem obtaining drivers for windows. in fact, the majority of the time windows obtains them automatically. but the few times i have had to source them myself, i either had them from the manufacturer or easily downloaded them

anyway. i don’t want to get a head of myself, but…I HAVE WIFI!!! though i have not unplugged the ethernet cable yet because i am scared

-fresh install of suse 12.3 w/ kde 4.10
-downloaded and installed broadcom 43225 firmware from opensuse

-added all-in-one packman repo

sudo zypper ar -f -n packman [Index of /suse/openSUSE_12.3/](http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.3) packman

-determined kernel

uname -a

-downloaded and installed broadcom 43225 drivers

sudo zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop 

-rebooted system
-wifi connections found
-add WPA key
-wifi access!!!

i am just too scared to reboot the system again or even to unplug the ethernet cable. i am worried i am in a dream and i will surely loose the wifi connectivity at any moment. do you think it is here to stay? will opensuse continue to torture me and steal my precious time? please let the wifi remain, i will be very happy if it does stay

So “larry’s file” is just the firmware, right? (don’t want to search through the stickies right now)
But you did at first install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop from somewhere else than Packman, see zypper’s message in your first post.

i don’t agree with this. i’ve never had a problem obtaining drivers for windows. in fact, the majority of the time windows obtains them automatically. but the few times i have had to source them myself, i either had them from the manufacturer or easily downloaded them

Yeah, but how to download the network drivers, when network doesn’t work? It’s the same chicken and egg problem.

And try to install Windows XP on a laptop with an Intel ICH7 or newer chipset. The installer will just say “No hard disk found”, even if it’s SP3.
You have to create a customized Windows install CD for that, which includes the intel driver.

Of course, it’s better with newer versions because they include newer and more drivers.
But even with Windows it depends on the specific hardware how easy it is to install.
You can’t say that everything is perfect there, just because you never had any problem… I never had any problem with Linux, so it must be perfect as well!? :wink:

And in my experience Linux (especially recent versions of course) does support much more hardware out of the box, without having to install any driver.
And how difficult was it to obtain the drivers in this case? They are available at Packman (and working as it seems now… :wink: )

anyway. i don’t want to get a head of myself, but…I HAVE WIFI!!! though i have not unplugged the ethernet cable yet because i am scared

-fresh install of suse 12.3 w/ kde 4.10
-downloaded and installed broadcom 43225 firmware from opensuse

-added all-in-one packman repo

sudo zypper ar -f -n packman [Index of /suse/openSUSE_12.3/](http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.3) packman

-determined kernel

uname -a

-downloaded and installed broadcom 43225 drivers

sudo zypper in broadcom-wl broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop 

-rebooted system
-wifi connections found
-add WPA key
-wifi access!!!

i am just too scared to reboot the system again or even to unplug the ethernet cable. i am worried i am in a dream and i will surely loose the wifi connectivity at any moment. do you think it is here to stay? will opensuse continue to torture me and steal my precious time? please let the wifi remain, i will be very happy if it does stay

Yes, I think it will continue to work. :wink:

yes. tar’d firmware. i didn’t think i did, i thought i downloaded from packman, but i must have. can’t be certain however.

Yeah, but how to download the network drivers, when network doesn’t work? It’s the same chicken and egg problem.

i guess that presume you have ethernet. but as was my situation yesterday, opensuse also destroyed my ethernet connection so i was forced to use a usb between a functional ubuntu pc and the unserviceable suse pc

And try to install Windows XP on a laptop with an Intel ICH7 or newer chipset. The installer will just say “No hard disk found”, even if it’s SP3.
You have to create a customized Windows install CD for that, which includes the intel driver.

Of course, it’s better with newer versions because they include newer and more drivers.
But even with Windows it depends on the specific hardware how easy it is to install.
You can’t say that everything is perfect there, just because you never had any problem… I never had any problem with Linux, so it must be perfect as well!? :wink:

And in my experience Linux (especially recent versions of course) does support much more hardware out of the box, without having to install any driver.
And how difficult was it to obtain the drivers in this case? They are available at Packman (and working as it seems now… :wink: )

i prefer linux, but if i am to be honest i have to admit that windows is much more stable and convenient. of course, there is nothing perfect. i am very happy that i now have an operational suse computer. i much prefer it over fedora, but i do miss freebsd

Yes, I think it will continue to work. :wink:

i rebooted and disconnected ethernet and i still have the wifi!!! however, whenever the screen sleeps i need to reconnect to network and must enter the wallet password. how to change this, can you help me please, wolf?