Help avoiding or deleting Grub since the very beginning of booting my PC.

Hello, I am new in this forum. I am not in fact an expert in Linux. I have a problem, and at the same time I want to perfectly understand how Grub operates, cause at the moment I don’t have a clue anymore.

I have two physical different hard disks, one with Linux SuSe installed and the other one with Windows XP. The master HDD is the one with Windows.5
Now, my HDD with linux have crashed, physically crashed, but that’s not the main problem, I don’t care about that hard disk for now. (It is completely backed up).
The problem is that now Grub does not boot correctly, so the PC doesn’t either and I need to boot Windows!. It appears “Loading Grub Step 1.5” “Grub loading Error 17”, etc.

My main and first question is: How can I jump, or skip Grub since the very beginning without entering Linux because HDD is crashed? (I don’t want to restore windows installation either because I don’t have original CD’s).

My second and deeper question: How the hell operates grub? where are located the very first instructions of Grub? in the Bios?
This is because: I thought that the first Grub instructions were in the MBR of the Master HDD, BUT! I realised they don’t because after some tests, I removed completely from the PC the Master HDD!!! and the Grub text still appeared!!! (Loading Grub Step 1.5…etc) and the other HDD is crashed!!!
So my big question: Who the hell tells the computer to look for a grub at the very beginning??? This is done definately BEFORE ANY reading to ANY Hard Disk or device… should it be at the BIOS???

All of this we are talking about a desktop PC and IDE HDD’s.

Any help will be appreciated. I need to boot my Windows

Thanks a lot in advance!

You could restore the windows MBR, but you need a XP CD
Here is how
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Win-Install/win_fixmbr.pdf

Or
Get and burn a cd of supergrubdisk
which should be able to boot windows for you. You can just leave it in the CD tray.

Your problem is that the grub code in the MBR next points to the openSUSE install for the next stage of grub - But your install and HD are trashed, so it fails.
So Grub is installed in your MBR, but the next stage is missing.

If you have a functioning GNU/Linux somewhere with the legacy grub, and if you type :

man grub

you will see it tells you, to get more information, to type:

info grub

and that has the information that will likely answer your questions and a lot lot lot more (probably too much more :slight_smile: ).

On 2011-10-09 09:16, oldcpu wrote:
> and that has the information that will likely answer your questions and
> a lot lot lot more (probably too much more :slight_smile: ).

Under troubleshooting it says what error 17 is.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Indeed it does :slight_smile: … and its buried pretty deep:

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
     This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
     filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

On 2011-10-09 16:36, oldcpu wrote:
> Indeed it does :slight_smile: … and its buried pretty deep:

Hey! Let him find out for himself! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi,

Thank you very much to all of you who answered.

I have solved this problem downloading a complete image (backup) I had for Linux into a complete new HDD.

But I still have the question! How was possible that grub was being loaded without any HDD installed on the PC?
This means, this was the situation, and that’s for sure, I’m sure about it: The master HDD was removed from the PC and it was only the crashed HDD, no access at all was possible to this crashed HDD and the grub program was being loaded! with error 17. Again the situation just if this was not clear: No Bootable device at all was even installed on the PC except for a completely crashed HDD (physical noises from the HDD) and Grub was trying to be started.
How this is possible? Where are located the first steps of Grub program?

My problem is now solved, this question is just to understand how Grub operates.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings.

Hi,

Thank you very much to all of you who answered.

I have solved this problem downloading a complete image (backup) I had for Linux into a complete new HDD.

But I still have the question! How was possible that grub was being loaded without any HDD installed on the PC?
This means, this was the situation, and that’s for sure, I’m sure about it: The master HDD was removed from the PC and it was only the crashed HDD, no access at all was possible to this crashed HDD and the grub program was being loaded! with error 17. Again the situation just if this was not clear: No Bootable device at all was even installed on the PC except for a completely crashed HDD (physical noises from the HDD) and Grub was trying to be started.
How this is possible? Where are located the first steps of Grub program?

My problem is now solved, this question is just to understand how Grub operates.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings.

Your error indicated a problem with a certain partition. Don’t know where grub was loaded, but grub had to be installed on this hard drive and it can be located in the MBR or another partition that was not bad.

Thank You,

You should have disconnected all HD’s (Crashed or otherwise)
To have provided reliable info

The first stage of grub resides in the MBR
Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia