HELLUP, my partner uses Suse but is gone for a long weekend and I can't get started to watch tv :(

Hopefully there is someone here who can help me to open the program…
I just want to access the main screen but get an green screen with a white diagonal line-ish & the lizard ‘Open Suse’
Nothing I press will change the screen into something to work with :frowning: Anyone knows how to open this???

Sounds to me like you might not have access - perhaps this is intended?
In this era of modern communication, I would expect you could contact the other party to resolve this. It seems unwise that we offer guidance for you to access a computer that is clearly not yours and more especially that (by implication) you are not familiar with openSUSE either.

I can’t even fathom what they’re looking at – the description is too vague. Uploading a picture would do wonders for the imagination though

hahaha, he’s my husband lol!lol!lol! so yeah, I would be allowed to watch tellie on our tv screen :slight_smile: I just need to press a combination of keys to open it (as it was crashed today by our babysitter…) And since my partner is joining an ocean sailing race there is just no way to get in touch :frowning:
Unfortunately, Im a computer dumbie so everytime I forget how to restart the bloody thing… Just hoped someone here would know how to get the black start-up screen or get it to the standard computer screen. I will probably be fine from there…
Thanks anyhow!
Eva

let me see if I can post a photo of the screen…
thanks for that suggestion :slight_smile:

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice quickly will usually cause a logout (However you can loose unsaved work)
It will then bring you to a login screen - where you will need the password (or it will just auto login in if auto login is set)

](http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/evaevaeva4/media/2013-10-25175851_zpsa18b6bc5.jpg.html)http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/evaevaeva4/2013-10-25175851_zpsa18b6bc5.jpg

That looks like an old version FYI
Ctl+Alt+Delete may not do anything because it looks like it’s not at the logged in stage.
You may have to power it off and start it up again.

Ok, last try to watch tv/a movie tonight :slight_smile: I get this screen and from memory I had to go to ‘backend’ so did that but now get this… (of course tried to hit some keys so the last little bit is clear rubbish… anyone any clue???

](http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/evaevaeva4/media/2013-10-25182122_zpsdf63e032.jpg.html)http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/evaevaeva4/2013-10-25182122_zpsdf63e032.jpg

Ah Gnome Shell, so maybe not so old

Sorry no idea about this TV stuff, never used it. Uncorrected blocks sounds like something is not so good, but I’m just guessing/

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like Im going to be without movies/tv for a bit. But hey, still have the laptop :slight_smile:
cheers

evaevaeva wrote:
>
> Thanks so much everyone! Looks like Im going to be without movies/tv for
> a bit. But hey, still have the laptop :slight_smile:
> cheers
>
>
click on left window key(the one with window like caricature) on your
keyboard
and then in Activities start typing firefox and click on the fife fox
icon. You should be able to watch youtube videos with Fx if you are able
to connect to internet

GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

@caf4926: I think the openSUSE screen that was captured was an over-scanned image (on tv), so icons likely not in view.

I know very little about mythtv, but apart from the messages that you captured (which I’m not sure about), did the ‘mythfrontend’ get launched too?

Was the movie you wanted to watch on tv, or a DVD, or…?

Did you try this excellent suggestion?

I had almost wrote last night that it sounded like they were staring at the splash or desktop background lol! … looks like its from an older openSUSE release (11.3 maybe?)

I haven’t touched mythtv in ages. The blocks issue I believe is just related to a CAM for one of the dvb devices being used (in this case, adapter2; in otherwords the third adapter set in this system). Sometimes this is just related to the firmware for the device not being loaded properly. I’d try simply rebooting both the backend and frontend systems (assuming they’re set up on unique machines). Also, the mythtv mailing list or irc channel are other good resources if it requires more then that. … or entitling a post in the multimedia forum with a “mythtv problem …” to draw the attention of openSUSE myth users who might frequent the forums.

and speaking of the multimedia forum … this thread is most assuredly a candidate for movement to the appropriate location

I had almost wrote last night that it sounded like they were staring at the splash or desktop background lol! … looks like its from an older openSUSE release (11.3 maybe?)

Unlikely since even 11.4 still used gnome 2
Whereas this image suggests gnome 3

Yes, evidence points to a desktop background image. The user has already managed to start the backend at least (so implies log in).

I haven’t touched mythtv in ages. The blocks issue I believe is just related to a CAM for one of the dvb devices being used (in this case, adapter2; in otherwords the third adapter set in this system). Sometimes this is just related to the firmware for the device not being loaded properly. I’d try simply rebooting both the backend and frontend systems (assuming they’re set up on unique machines).

Good suggestion - I read similar advice on another forum last night while searching.

Good pt. I skipped 11.4, but the image design looks familiar to me, so perhaps it was 12.1 then … in any regard, not really too important lol!