Hello

Hello everyone I just installed Opensuse. Ive been using ubuntu since Nov 09 when I started using Linux for the 1st time and this week I started disro hopping Mandriva, Fedora, and Opensuse I like this distro even though I need to get used to KDE its very slick in comparison to ubuntu just wish I started using it first.lol!

you dumped windows?

Welcome to openSUSE. It’s a good distro; the only one that has managed to make me leave windows all together. Also, the people on this forum are good at helping.

:wink:

I dumped windows in Nov 09 yet another slowdown and crash as I didnt have any install disks I looked on the internet for alternative OS found Linux and ubuntu Ive been using it ever since.Linux just works for me and its more stable just wished I used it 1st instead of windows I dont play games on my Lappy thats what PS3 is for. We do have other Pcs Kids lappy W7 Missus lappy W7 and desktop Vista I havent used the desktop since I got my Lappy in August except for sorting out wireless for the Missus, lol!

Welcome to openSUSE and WELCOME to our forum.

Here are a few stickies you may find useful

and if you are curious to learn some basic openSUSE Linux concepts, here is another link: Concepts - openSUSE

Welcome to the community kai69.

Also, the people on this forum are good at helping.
That’s right, if you have any problems feel free to ask.
And we’ll be happy to help.:wink:

Welcome to the forums.

A suggestion concerning your kids: ‘force’ them into linux, it opens their minds. I have given mine nothing but linux at first. They don’t care about the OS now, they work on any computer, whether it’s a Tux, a Leopard, or “OTHER”.

I put edubuntu on my lappy only one of my daughters uses it and on the kids lappy i’ve put nothing but OSS Gimp, Open Office, etc on it. My eldest son likes Linux and wants to install on the lappy my other daughter loves the gimp shes only 9 but with a wacom tablet she has made some nice pictures

I guess I am just freaking out, afraid of the unknown.
My old pc crashed. The only one I have. Typical PC owner, no backups, no restoration disc. Got the Antivirus Soft Virus and crashed Windows. The pc will boot up and wouldn’t boot up windows, so strapped for cash, no software what did I do? Check for a second OS that was free on-line. That works on a 10 year old turtle and there it was → openSuse. rotfl!

So my question is after I did installed it. Is there a way to scan the hard drive in this thing to look for old files, I like to see if any of my old family pics survived, or any of my old mp3s. Can I also change the desktop background? I have some animadversion to the black/dark space theme. :’(
I read something about an application called glass marble something, like google earth. were do I get it? Google Earth wont load. Will Magic Jack run in openSuse? :open_mouth:

Any good applications? I do not know anything about Linux yet here I am. With a bunch of acronyms. What does Yast do? I feel like throwing up. Definitely hyperventilating.

Try reading up on some basic openSUSE Linux concepts: Concepts - openSUSE

Welcome to the forums, kai and adar! rotfl!

@adar:
Other than on Windows, apps are downloaded from repositories.
Open Yast (there should be an icon for it in your taskbar), click on “Software Management” and wait until it’s done updating the repos.
Enter the name of the app you look for in the search box and press the search button.

For instance, take the marble program you want. Just enter marble into the search box and press the search button to see the results.
If there isn’t already a checkmark next to marble in the list, click on the white box next to it to make a green check box appear. Then, click on “Accept” in the lower right corner to install it. If it asks to install additional packages, just click “OK”.

Thanks. I read that and I have some more insight in to it. not hyperventilating and now getting used to the idea that I can not run a search of the files that I have in the hda instead of c: Still do not know how to change the background pictures to other than what comes already predigested, pre-given to me, and the beauty of it is that I know it is just that I, and that is all it is, is that I do not know how to Yet! :expressionless:

You mean the Wallpaper of your desktop? rotfl! I guess there are plenty of ways to get new wallpapers. One of the coolest is to drag-and-drop an image to your desktop from Dolphin, Firefox, etc (but make sure widgets are unlocked). There’ll be a context menu, with different options.

I ran Edubuntu on my desktop for a while (the kids used it too). Not a bad distro, but then I learned that I could just add the pieces I wanted to a base Ubuntu installation.

TuxPaint, SuperTuxKart and gCompris are probably the most used applications.

Just gotta be careful, these kids learn fast. My son was 4 when he tried logging in with the username “daddy”. At 5 he asked me, while I was on the computer, “what’s your username?”. He’s 7 and I think I’m still ahead of him, but that lead won’t last long.

I set up my 5 yr old to have gCompris automatically start up when she logs in.

My 9 year old can give or take it. She’s done a great job with TuxPaint, though.

At this point, we’re all Linux because that’s what they’re used to now. I installed Windows 7 and my son checked it out for a while but now doesn’t really care for it much.

Welcome to openSUSE!

I downloaded version 3.6 twice. now as a newbie please bear with me. In winblows it would have loaded itself . I have the folder with the upgrade but I do not see any executable. I have version 3.5.8 and even if I go to the start menu and click on mozilla an go down to upgrade doesn’t do a thing. any idea anyone? What I am not doing or doing wrong:(?

The problem here is you are trying to install this the MS-Windows way. Linux does not work that way. The openSUSE concepts Link http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts I provided explained that, but I think there was too much information in there for you to retain and understand.

Think of Linux software installations operating on a “convoy system” of ships trying to get across the ocean. Any individual ship could get torpedoed by a submarine, but together as a convoy they are more safe. In the case of Linux the convoy is the software repository where all the software applications are stored. There are many different software repositories, … so many that adding them all will break your openSUSE. So in general stick to ONLY the official repositories OSS, Non-OSS, and Update, plus one more which is the most popular 3rd party repository: Packman. Just those 4. There is guidance here: Repositories/11.2 - openSUSE-Community just those 4 - no others!

But when you go to look under YaST > Software > Software Management and do a search, you may not see Firefox 3.6.2. That is because it is not updated in the official openSUSE repositories. So instead add a 5th repository, the Mozilla repository. To do that add this repository:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2/

you can add it by going to YaST > Software > Software Repositories > Add

once it is added, then go to YaST > Software > Software Management and search for Firefox. When you find it, select it and then click on Versions. Ensure that version 3.6.2 has its “circle” selected for installation. Then click “accept” to install it.

But after it appears done you are NOT finished.

Go back to YaST > Software > Software Repositories are disable or remove Mozilla repository, to get back to the LEAN and MEAN configuration of only 4 repositories.

If you stick with ONLY 4 repositories (OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman) your openSUSE experience will be much better. If you believe you know better and ignore that advice, I can almost guarantee that you as a new user will have problems.

Good luck!

Can people really get by with just four repositories ?

I had to enable KDE Backports to get Amarok 2.3 as Amarok 2.1 doesn’t even support Mysql. I want to run a stable well organized system which is why I’m trying openSUSE after much distro’ hopping, but enabling repo’s shouldn’t be a problem should it ? What matters most is what you install from them. I think my repo’ list is quite conservative:

#  | Alias                       | Name                          | Enabled | Refresh
---+-----------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+--------
1  | NVIDIA Repository           | NVIDIA Repository             | Yes     | Yes
2  | download.opensuse.org-games | openSUSE BuildService - Games | Yes     | Yes
3  | ftp.skynet.be-suse          | Packman Repository            | Yes     | Yes
4  | kde-backports               | kde-backports                 | Yes     | No
5  | kde-community               | kde-community                 | Yes     | No
6  | kde-core                    | kde-core                      | Yes     | No
7  | kde-playground              | kde-playground                | Yes     | No
8  | repo-debug                  | openSUSE-11.2-Debug           | No      | Yes
9  | repo-non-oss                | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss         | Yes     | Yes
10 | repo-oss                    | openSUSE-11.2-Oss             | Yes     | Yes
11 | repo-source                 | openSUSE-11.2-Source          | No      | Yes
12 | repo-update                 | openSUSE-11.2-Update          | Yes     | Yes
13 | vlc                         | vlc                           | Yes     | No

BTW, I love the output from Zypper, it’s better than Aptitude & Pacman. :good:

Hmmm … If had to bet, I would say in 6 months or sooner you will have significant problems. IMHO all those KDE repos are bound to mess things up. In fact, I would also bet some of your multimedia does not work properly now, because you have both videolan and packman repositories enabled - a sure recipe for disaster.

If we lived in the same town we could bet a beer over this. That way, no one really loses too much, as a chat over a beer is a great way to throw off the frustrations for a brief time.

… a lot of the time the # of repositories boils down to one’s experience and how well one knows one’s limitations. I have a reasonable hand on my limitations, and with my limitations, I would immediately disable ALL but the 4 I mentioned in my previous post.

+1 to thatlol!

IMHO people who intend to use the desktop system for editing pics, writing the odd letter, surfing the Internet, fetching mail/sending mail only need the base four. As you progress into multimedia (cd/dvd rendering, web development, video, audio) program development, and learning things become cloudy.

True Linux theory is based that out of the some 35000+ baseline apps which are out there in ciberspace you can use whatever you want. The fast pace of Linux development at the kernel and Distribution levels has a tendency to leave packages orphaned either due to maintainers leaving and no-one taking up the cause or changes to libraries and dependencies.

So the distributions put packages that are most likely to work into a set of core repositories (the base four) in the case of openSUSE and try to encourage users not to use anything else.

The openSUSE rule of thumb is to add/enable a repo for something you need, install it, then disable/remove the repo in an attempt to avoid pulling in possibly out of date libraries or broken routines from those repo’s that can replace the working ones of the main four repo’s.