head phones

I have Opensuse 11.0. My headphone just quit working after an up date. I can’t use skype or anything. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Is this a USB headphone, or a headphone that plugs in the audio jack on your PC’s motherboard (or sound card)?

If NOT of the USB type, then I’m willing to try help, … You could try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

Be certain to check your mixer thoroughly (kmix in kde and alsa/amixer in gnome).

Assuming no success, for me to help, I need more information as to the specifics of your PC’s software and hardware audio configuration. Can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? In the case of openSUSE-11.0, you can do that, with your laptop connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and then copy and paste and execute :

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

That will run a diagnostic script and post the output to a web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound… hopefully that will provide some hints as to what you can do to address the problem.

If this is a USB headphone, then I have no experience with that and I can not help.

I got them working now. Thank you very much for the offer to help.