I’m trying to use my netbook as a media centre but last night I failed miserably at connecting to a tv via the hdmi port.
This is what xrandr outpus:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 32767 x 32767
LVDS1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 270mm x 150mm
800x600 60.3 56.2
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
**Installed various versions of the nvidia drivers both manually (after some kernel struggles) and from the nvidia repos.
Manual drivers I got from here: http://www.nvidia.ca/object/unix.html and I tried a bunch of version (340, 337, 304). All of those list ION as supported but X would not load.
Xorg.log.0 would error out saying no devices found. Clearly the driver did not think I have an nvidia chipset onboard.
In my desperation, I even tried bumblebee in the end.
I have no issues with the nouveau driver otherwise.
Worst case I can install windows to see if the port works there but I’m guessing it will. I’d really rather not use windows though.
Well it’s an Optimus system and they run with the intel chip as primary graphics device and that chip is usually, possibly always, not connected to any of the external display ports.
I have a solution here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/497341-Howto-use-Nvidia-native-on-an-external-display-on-an-Optimus-system
It is a little ugly right now, but if you only want to use it as a media center you only need one instance of openSuse of course. I would recomend to use the propriarity nvidia driver as it has better power mangement than nouveau, those systems tend to get pretty hot when running the nvidia card.
Hopefully I’ll have a better solution for 13.2.
After a lot of futzing around last night, I think I am closer to getting this working but still no HDMI port in sight.
This is the output of systemctl status bumblebeed:
bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2014-08-18 23:04:21 EDT; 13min ago
Main PID: 590 (bumblebeed)
Aug 18 23:11:54 linux-0zqe.site bumblebeed: 464.102006] [WARN][XORG] (WW) Unresolved symbol: fbGetGCPrivateKey
Aug 18 23:11:54 linux-0zqe.site bumblebeed: 464.102081] [WARN][XORG] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device for DPI computation.
Aug 18 23:11:55 linux-0zqe.site bumblebeed: 464.456310] [ERROR][XORG] (EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
So bumblebee appears to be running. I read somewhere that the NVIDIA warning is a non-issue though this is happening with the hdmi cable connected.
I’ve added the BusID to the xorg.conf.nvidia file.
Here’s my Xorg.8.log: http://pastebin.com/mFVFvJ7m
I’m using the nvidia drivers installed “the hard way”. The module appears to be loaded so no issues there (definite improvement to the no devices found error I had before).
optirun glxspheres runs.
I tried running optirun xrandr to see if I can see the hdmi port that way, but no luck.
I feel like I’m so close but not there yet!
(I’m starting to hate this optimus madness)
I tried that but the only available output was the analog sound device, speakers or headphones.
I need to get it to realize there’s another output, so I’ve been playing around with modprobe configs but have had no luck for now.
Googling mainly shows people who get the hdmi output using “aplay -l” but can’t direct sound to it for whatever reason. I’m not even that far.
This laptop is clearly hellbent on making this hard for me. Perhaps it’s less than happy with its new role.
Took some time to recapitulate what I actually did to get sound. I discovered that pulseaudio was’nt installed by default so I had to install that manually.
Possibly pulseaudio isn’t installed on any Optimus system.
There was some realtek module as well which I blacklisted for good measure but made no difference.
I’m also pouring over this: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html, trying to find out what I should be seeing and maybe where things are failing.
Things are definitely a little off but I don’t know where they get bad.
There’s no mention of hdmi or audio in various logs either - Xorg, dmesg, /var/log/messages.
I’ve also tried various options snd-hda-intel settings in /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf.
I’m tempted to manually compile the latest alsa. Just cause.