Hdmi audio problem

I don’t really know what else to say haha, i powered up again and now i have audio :S

can you link me to a reputable driver?

OS Information
Current user: mike-is-gay@linux-qxtx
System: openSUSE 12.1 (i586)
KDE: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) “release 5”
Display Info
Vendor: nVidia Corporation
Model: C77 [GeForce 8200] *it is really 9200
2D driver: nvidia
3D driver: NVIDIA 290.10

ok. what changed between the last time it worked, and after the reboot ? Was this the 1st reboot after getting it working ? Did you go back and check the settings again in pavucontrol ? Did you check the configuration files to confirm that the edits you put in place are still there ? Has the HDMI cable moved ?

yes it wasn’t working when i posted earlier today, i turned it off for a couple hours and then turned it back on and it worked.

i haven’t changed anything in pavucontrol and that is the first thing i check every time i power on, not sure about the configuration files (where are they located?) and the hdmi cable hasn’t moved.

so it is working again ?

right now yes it is working. but i’ll admit that i’ve turned it off a few times the past couple days and randomly it stops working and starts again after i restart. I don’t even think i’ve edited the config files for audio, just to get the display to work properly so maybe that’s where i need to check. where should i be looking for it?

The HDMI audio may not be fully robust against the various things you are doing on your PC. Its not a simple thing to figure out why it works sometimes and not at other times. I can point out a technique where you can teach yourself, but I can’t do this for you. … What you can do is check what audio related files are open when it functions, and when it does not function, and use that to get a hint as to where the problem could be when it does not work. You will need to run the ‘list open files’ command many times (I will provide that command), under different circumstances (taking notes) in order to learn this. Posting one or two outputs here won’t solve this. Its something you need to teach yourself for your hardware.

Anyway the 'list open files ’ command is:

lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*

note that is '/dev/snd/’ and not ’ /dev/snd ’ . Running that command will show what files are opened by media applications when playing or when configured for sound. If one application has seized the audio device and is refusing to share the audio device with other applications, that should give some hints.

have some rep.