HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT NOT WORKING - ALENWARE / OPENSUSE 11.4

hello
Here is what I have tried

speaker-test -D hw:1,8 -c4 -twav

with and without the -l
and I did this with channel 2,4,5 and 7 for the hardware 1,3 // 1,7 // 1,8 and 1,9

qsummon@alienware:~> aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC665 Analog [ALC665 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I would agree with your wife on the Windows comment, but I do not like Windows anyway…:wink:

Note I do NOT have an HDMI setup, so my knowledge comes from reading posts and just basic experience with sound accumulated over the year on GNU/Linux.

Clearly your HDMI is nvidia based, and there is a MASSIVE page with documentation on that here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

With the volume turned UP, did you hear a pop, or a sound on any of those ? Thats important because the idea here is to try and narrow down which of hw:1,3, hw:1,7, hw:1,8, or hw:1,9 is connected. Once that is done, then there is a configuration file that needs to be edited.

Did you also check BEFORE running the above that all HDMI sound was unmuted ? One way is to run alsamixer -c 1 (where 1 is the card number), use the left/right cursor keys to select each output in turn, and press m so that the output reads OO (rather than MM for muted), and finally press the Esc key to exit.

Other test commands that can be tried are for example …

speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,9

or

aplay -D hw:1,9 some_file.wav

again, we are just looking for a pop or some indication that we may have discovered the correct HDMI device, after which further edits can be made.

Once we have narrowed down the device, we can add extra outputs to PulseAudio manually by editing /etc/pulse/default.pa, and adding lines such as ONE of:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7
or
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,8
or
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,9

… anyway, take a look at the nVidia HDMI page I quoted.

I’m still working on this, I know this is a long thread, but this is making me crazy
I have upgraded to OpenSuse 12 (fresh install). Still having the issue
One of the thing I notice is
First
When I run Alsamixer, the Intel Card is the default one (Notebook has 2 devices, I don’t want to use the INTEL one)

Is this normal ?
If in alsamixer the default card is the INTEL, is that means that for the system is the default card as well?
Anyway the test with speacker pointing to the Nvidia card are still failing.

I will appreciate any help. I want to run XBMC on OpenSUSE!

openSUSE 12 ?? You mean openSUSE-12.1 I think. There is no openSUSE-12

I spent a long time typing the post above. Did you try any of my advice ?

What can you tell us about your system now that you have updated ? How about the output URL that you get from sending the command (with PC connected to the internet and selecting the SHARE/UPLOAD option):

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

post here the URL it gives you when the script is complete.