HDA-nVidia Realtek ALC883 souncard- microphone problem

Hello all,

I just upgraded to openSUSE 11.3 64 bit and I can’t seem to get my mic to work correctly. When I blow into the mic to test it I can hear wind sounds, but when speaking into it I will not pick up voices. I have read in the alsa driver source package that the most current version of alsa xxxxxxxxx.23 is only compatible up to kernel 2.6.29. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have tried adjusting mixer levels through the KDE mixer, alsamixer, but no luck. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I would like to try and help, but I do not know the 1st thing about this hardware. Can you provide more information?

Is this an external mic? An internal mic ? Both ?

Please configure your mixer exactly the way you think it should be configured for your mic to work.

Note when testing your mic, I recommend you use a terminal with this command:

arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav

“foo.wav” is an arbitrary name I made up. Instead you could call it whatapain.wav or whichwaythewindblows.wav or anything …

Then assuming mic does not work, please provide the information recommended to be provided here: Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums and I will quote this for you:

please post … the following information:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL/website-address that gives. Just the URL/website-address. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
Note if for some reason that gives you no website/url/address then run it with the no-upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and post the file /etc/alsa-info.txt it creates to Pastebin.com and press SUBMIT on that site and again post here the URL/website-address it provides.

… some clarification on running the script “alsa-info.sh” … when you run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

you should get something like this (if it asks for an update, select NO):
http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/9280/a5973e92794041.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (select the SHARE/UPLOAD option):
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9280/5e84f992794044.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (its quickest if you simply select ‘NO’ to seeing the output - you will see it on the web page) :
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/9280/214da092794048.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (where in RED is the URL).
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/9280/d9858092794051.jpg](ImageBam)

Just post the URL you get (similar to the RED URL in my example, but yours will be different).

Again, if you can not get that, then run this with the no upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt.  Copy that file and paste it on [Pastebin.com](http://pastebin.com) and press submit. That will give you a URL address. Please post that URL here.

Also provide the following:

• in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or newer
    , in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Where did you read that ? If I had to bet, I would bet that is incorrect. I have the most current version of alsa running on 2.6.34 and 2.6.36 kernels. Also, note the alsa kernel modules come with the kernel !

I have the same problem - new installation of 11.3 32bit on an LG-R500 (not a popular laptop)
alsa script output here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8e0675e18c998f3aa670afa49c88a0fb08f15b99

Noticed two things from that output:

snip***************

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

ESound Daemon:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
Running - No

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xc4000000 irq 30

snip***************

Other information:

linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis # rpm -qa ‘alsa
alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.i586
alsa-plugins-1.0.23-1.9.i586
alsa-1.0.23-2.12.i586
alsa-oss-1.0.17-29.2.i586
linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis # rpm -qa ‘pulse
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-9.2.i586
libpulse0-0.9.21-9.2.i586
libxine1-pulse-1.1.18.1-1.37.i586
linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis # rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.23-2.12.i586
linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis # uname -a
Linux linux-c6q0.site 2.6.34-12-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-06-29 02:39:08 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis # cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.dbbs4EEQ4k3:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
linux-c6q0:/home/kurtis #

I’m a linux noob so let me know what else you might need.

Thanks, Kurtis

You state the same problem. My apologies, but I do not know what that means. Internal mic ? External mic ? Does the mic have more than one input jack ? If so, and if you are using an external mic, what jack? Sure, this is intuitively obvious to you, but it makes a difference and I can not tell what you are trying.

Also, what program are you trying to record with? I’m sure this is intuitively obvious to you, but I can NOT tell.

I recommended the previous user try this command line for testing:

is that what you are trying? I can NOT tell from your post (I did re-read your post 3 times).

Now your mixer, … note what I put in red
Simple mixer control ‘Front Mic Boost’,0
Capabilities: volume penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 3
Front Left: 0 [0%]
Front Right: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 22 [71%] -1.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 22 [71%] -1.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic Boost’,0
Front Left: 2 [67%]
Front Right: 2 [67%]
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
Limits: Capture 0 - 31
Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,1
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] -12.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] -12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Limits: Capture 0 - 120
Front Left: Capture 60 [50%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 60 [50%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: ‘Mic’ ‘Front Mic’ ‘Line’
Item0: ‘Mic’
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,1
Item0: 'Mic’Are you using a Front Mic ? That is set as input source0 which has 0% boost. Means its unlikely to record.

Are you using the ‘other’ mic? It is set on input source 1. It has capture at 0%.

ie. its unlikely with those mixer settings you will record anything.

Does that help? I hope it helps a bit.

Good luck !

Actually my apologies for forgetting to answer your initial ?'s…
It’s a built in mic in laptop (webcam works).
I was trying to use skype.

Using arecord as you suggest I just get static HOWEVER using an external mic plugged into the mic jack everything works fine. So I realize it’s a simple matter of selecting the correct mic.

I now opened up Kmix and turned up the volume on everything and it’s just like the previous post. The internal mic is obvious catching background noise (blowing, typing) but not necessarily voice. When I play with “Front Mic Boost” the static goes up and down so it’s the Front Mic that I’m dealing with.

UPDATE:
If I put “Front Mic Boost” way DOWN then I can faintly hear my voice in the background but there is still lots of static. With Front Mic Boost at 50% or more the input visualization on arecord shows that the mic is just saturated.

Try the digital control. Sometimes internal mics are digital mics. I note this:

**Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
**Capabilities: cvolume penum
Front Left: Capture 60 [50%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 60 [50%] [0.00dB]

Try increasing that capture setting.

I tried messing with the ‘Digital’ and ‘Capture’ settings in Kmix but nothing. I reinstalled the alsa drivers right from the Realtek sight (and they list 883 as a compatible) and now I don’t have a Digital setting in Kmix. So I’ll keep playing but if you have any other suggestions that would be great.

I’m not sure the sound card was recognized properly from this line but I really don’t know…

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xc4000000 irq 30

I never recommend this, as my experience is the realtek drivers completely messes up things. Typically, when a user does this, I am not knowledgeable enough to help them recover from this. Sorry.

please excuse me for the late post…have been very busy

here is the output from the rpm queries

linux-xpxt:/home/hamster # rpm -qa alsa
alsa-oss-1.0.17-29.2.x86_64
alsa-plugins-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
alsa-1.0.23-2.12.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-29.2.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.x86_64
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64

linux-xpxt:/home/hamster # rpm -qa pulse
libpulse0-0.9.21-10.1.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-10.1.1.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.21-10.1.1.x86_64
libxine1-pulse-1.1.18.1-1.37.x86_64

linux-xpxt:/home/hamster # rpm -qa libasound2
libasound2-1.0.23-2.12.x86_64
libasound2-32bit-1.0.23-2.12.x86_64

linux-xpxt:/home/hamster # uname -a
Linux linux-xpxt 2.6.34.7-0.3-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-09-20 15:27:38 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
linux-xpxt:/home/hamster # cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

M71A.fy1D4m35Nc8:MCP65 High Definition Audio

and here is the link to my alsa output
RAW OUTPUT dW6neArm

oh and as a side note the info I got regarding the kernel support version is under the SUPPORTED_KERNELS text file in the latest alsa driver source tarball…maybe a bit outdated since it was released 6 months ago?

OK, thanks for that. The installed rpms look ok.

I note a 64-bit openSUSE-11.3 install with the 2.6.34.7-0.3-desktop kernel, with a mix of version 1.0.22.1 and 1.0.23 of the alsa sound driver. your PC has an ALC883.

Simple mixer control ‘Front Mic’,0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Front Mic Boost’,0
Simple mixer control ‘Mic’,0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Mic Boost’,0
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,0
Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,1
Front Left: Capture 30 [97%] [33.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 30 [97%] [33.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
Capabilities: cvolume penum
Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,0
Item0: ‘Front Mic’
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,1
Item0: ‘Mic’

Your PC appears to have more than one input for an external Mic? It may also have an integrated internal “digital” Mic ? You appear to have one of your Mixer controls (Input Source 0) set for the “Front Mic” and you appear to have the other of your Mixer controls (Input Source 1) set for the ‘other’ Mic control.

It is still not clear to me what type of Mic you are trying to use. Internal? External? External connected to front? To side (or back) ? My apologies if you stated that and I missed it in your post.

I note both of your Mic boosts are set at 0% (see what I highlighted in red). I recommend you move that up to maximum setting of 100% to establish Mic functionality and then once established back off to 66% or some other value lower than 100%.

Note when testing your mic, I recommend you use a terminal with this command:

where “foo.wav” is an arbitrary name I made up. Instead you could call it whatapain.wav or whichwaythewindblows.wav or anything .

If that fails, we may need to look at updating alsa sound driver, and I can provide guidance there.

I confess I do not know what this mean … do you mean you believe there is a new alsa driver version? The answer is YES to that, and I can help you update alsa by pointing you to rpms as opposed to having to use a tarball .

the hardware setup im using is an external mic (dynex) hooked to the front input port

my mobo has 6 audio ports in the back , 2 in front

i have tried boosting the mic boost but that does not do anything except give me static noises, and i have tried changing the model to 6stack with no luck

and about the driver…are there new updates? i checked for updates through yast and all my drivers are up to date and the versions match in the repos as well as on the alsa site

OK, thanks for that information.

Ah, thats interesting. IF you know how to do that, then there are things we could try. :slight_smile:

In fact, for ALC883, there is NO model “6stack”, although that is close in syntax. From the alsa documentation (the HD-Audio-Models.txt file) the options for the ALC883 are:

ALC882/883/885/888/889
======================
  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
  arima		Arima W820Di1
  targa		Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
  asus-a7j	ASUS A7J
  asus-a7m	ASUS A7M
  macpro	MacPro support
  mb5		Macbook 5,1
  macmini3	Macmini 3,1
  mba21		Macbook Air 2,1
  mbp3		Macbook Pro rev3
  imac24	iMac 24'' with jack detection
  imac91	iMac 9,1
  w2jc		ASUS W2JC
  3stack-2ch-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  alc883-6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
  3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
  acer		Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire 9810
  acer-aspire-4930g Acer Aspire 4930G
  acer-aspire-6530g Acer Aspire 6530G
  acer-aspire-7730g Acer Aspire 7730G
  acer-aspire-8930g Acer Aspire 8930G
  medion	Medion Laptops
  medion-md2	Medion MD2
  targa-dig	Targa/MSI
  targa-2ch-dig	Targa/MSI with 2-channel
  targa-8ch-dig Targa/MSI with 8-channel (MSI GX620)
  laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
  lenovo-101e	Lenovo 101E
  lenovo-nb0763	Lenovo NB0763
  lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
  lenovo-sky	Lenovo Sky
  haier-w66	Haier W66
  3stack-hp	HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
  6stack-dell	Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
  mitac		Mitac 8252D
  clevo-m540r	Clevo M540R (6ch + digital)
  clevo-m720	Clevo M720 laptop series
  fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
  fujitsu-xa3530 Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
  3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
  intel-alc889a	Intel IbexPeak with ALC889A
  intel-x58	Intel DX58 with ALC889
  asus-p5q	ASUS P5Q-EM boards
  mb31		MacBook 3,1
  sony-vaio-tt  Sony VAIO TT
  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

So what I typically recommend for testing, is instead of making the change in YaST, I direct users to go to the file that YaST changes and edit there directly. That file is the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file that you provided above.

Lets say you wish to try the option “6stack-dig” . Then add the line at the start of that /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

such that the file now reads:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig
# M71A.fy1D4m35Nc8:MCP65 High Definition Audio

and then restart the alsa sound driver with the command:

su -c 'rcalsasound restart'

and enter the root password when prompted for a password. If using KDE select NO to retain any old devices (if prompted). And then restart your mixer (type ‘kmix’ in KDE , and I think ‘alsamixer’ in Gnome) and then test your MIC, being certain to tune your mixer. Use the ‘arecord’ test I noted above.

If for example ‘6stack-dig’ does not work, then try another in the list, … say “medion”. To do that, replace ‘6stack-dig’ with ‘medion’ in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file so that it looks like:

options snd-hda-intel model=medion
# M71A.fy1D4m35Nc8:MCP65 High Definition Audio

and restart alsa (per the rcalsasound restart as noted above) and restart your mixer (per the command noted above) and test your MIC (per the arecord noted above).

Do that for each of the MANY items in the list, until you find one that works, and after you have finished there, and if NONE work, then go for an update of alsa. There are disadvantages to updating alsa, which is why I do not recommend such an update right away.

We are fortunate on openSUSE in that the openSUSE packager for sound, is also a developer of the alsa sound driver. He maintains a special repository with the very latest updates for alsa, even before the updates appear in the alsa tarball. These updates will NOT appear in the SuSE-GmbH “update” repository but they will appear in the alsa developers “multimedia” repository. BUT they are very cutting edge updates, and sometimes they will break one’s audio and make matters worse. Plus once installed, every kernel update will break the audio/mic and will require another alsa driver update. Hence I see this alsa update as a last resort.

There is a wiki I wrote here describing how to update alsa via these rpms: SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE (yes, I have an action to improve the format of that guide - but its a major task to change, and I’m a bit fatigued with openSUSE currently) …

When updating please be certain to update alsa-oss, alsa-plugins, alsa, alsa-oss-32bit, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins-32bit, and libasound2. Also install the alsa-driver-kmp-desktop per your kernel version. Note over 50% of users fail to correctly update the many alsa apps, and they claim they have updated successfully or they have updated. But when we check, I note their version numbers have not changed. I am telling you now you do NOT have the latest alsa developers rpms, and if you update and you still have the same versions after updating as you have now, then you FAILED to update and you must try again.

Please, my most humble apologies for stating the obvious above, but as I noted I run into a problem with over 50% of openSUSE users who do not understand how to ensure they actually update an application correctly in a 3rd party repository such as the multimedia repository.

The VERY BEST of luck to you in this, and let me know if I can help further. My apologies if I appeared to blunt at times in this post. I truly am trying to be helpful.

oh not at all…i am still a novice at this…thanks for all your time and effort, i shall get back on this topic when i have figured it out

wow that was rather quick

i just ran the update from the link that you have posted and now my sound is working perfectly…thanks for the great work :wink: i didn’t have to make any changes to the 50-sound.conf file either so that is a great plus

glad you got it working :slight_smile:

i just suffered a bad case of mental retardedness…i titled the thread wrong, it should be ALC883, so can oldcpu or some other moderator retitle the thread so if someone else is looking for this they can find it? thanx

Ok, I’ll change the thread name in around 20 minutes. Unfortunately this will impact our NNTP users.

So NNTP users please do NOT reply to this thread.

NNTP users, please instead wait about 20 minutes (from now) and then look for and reply to a post that will be under a thread entitled “HDA-nVidia Realtek ALC883 souncard- microphone problem”.

The thread is open again with a changed name to “HDA-nVidia Realtek ALC883 souncard- microphone problem”

NNTP users, if you wish to reply to this thread, please reply to THIS post in order to ensure your post ends up at the correct location in the web page thread. Thankyou.

Hi, just wanted to say that it worked for me as well. Properly updating ALL the alsa files fixed the problem. Thanks very much!