having trouble with download and checksums 13.1

hello, I am new to linux of any kind. I am still on a windows system (8.1 regrettably). I am in the process of downloading a few different distros to see what I like.

So far a lot points me to Suse but I am having a bit of a problem downloading the iso. What makes this problem piculiar is that I have already successfully downloaded and checksumed a DVD of ubantu and mint with Downloadthemall! but I am having two major problems with getting opensuse.

First problem is when I try to Download from the primary page the checksums don’t match.

Other problem is when I try to use the mirrors from the directory page it will download but not finalize just stops at 100%. When I download from mirror it says its a DTAPART file not and iso, I don’t think that should be happening.

So why is it I can get other distros to work, but not the one I would really like to try out? It’s been really frustrating.

Any chance I could use the demo of ubantu or duel boot to use this aria app I keep reading about to verify and download it? Seems like it may be a little more advance since I have no linux background to speak of. worth a shot?

just successfully downloaded Kubantu, checksums match… seriously, what gives with dowloading Opensuse?

You only explain you (try to) download. But you do not even tell which of miriad ways of downloading. Bit difficult to give any advice or comment. But you can be sure that may people here were able to download, checksum it, burn it to a DVD or copy it to an USB stick, check that again and install.

On 2014-07-13 09:16, Quasarcq wrote:
>
> hello, I am new to linux of any kind. I am still on a windows system
> (8.1 regrettably). I am in the process of downloading a few different
> distros to see what I like.
>
> So far a lot points me to Suse but I am having a bit of a problem
> downloading the iso. What makes this problem piculiar is that I have
> already successfully downloaded and checksumed a DVD of ubantu and mint
> with Downloadthemall! but I am having two major problems with getting
> opensuse.

Point downloadthemmall (I assume you mean the firefox plugin) to the
metalink type link, not the direct link or mirror.

More info here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Download_help#Downloading_via_Metalinks

> First problem is when I try to Download from the primary page the
> checksums don’t match.

With the method suggested above, the download is checked during the
process, and if there is an error, it downloads again just the bad
chunk, not the entire file. The end result is guaranteed to verify.

>
> Other problem is when I try to use the mirrors from the directory page
> it will download but not finalize just stops at 100%. When I download
> from mirror it says its a DTAPART file not and iso, I don’t think that
> should be happening.

No, that is not normal.
But there is not issue on the servers, as far as I know. It maybe that
your download program does something at the end.

> Any chance I could use the demo of ubantu or duel boot to use this aria
> app I keep reading about to verify and download it?

Certainly.

> Seems like it may be
> a little more advance since I have no linux background to speak of.
> worth a shot?

Then forget it :slight_smile:

There are other possibilities. You can also download about any Linux
live, capable of running from a USB stick, and use that one, without
installing it. I would suggest the openSUSE 13.1 download labelled
“rescue” or “xfce”.

Another possibility, instead of installing Linux on your computer, is
install either virtualbox or vmware player in your Windows, and inside
install Linux, as a virtual machine, where you can learn to use it
without having to touch your Windows. Later, if you like it, and with
more experience, you can install Linux in real hardware.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

If you use utorrent on your Windows machine to d/l, you will be guaranteed a valid file.

utorrent is one of those torrent clients that checksum each individual chunk and discards/re-downloads if an invalid chunk is discovered so that when the file is finally put together it will undergo a final checksum on the entire file again automatically.

Eliminates the need to manually checksum your file.

TSU

thanks for the tips, think I will try to utorrent as that is the only method I have yet to try.

On 2014-07-15 11:06, Quasarcq wrote:
>
> thanks for the tips, think I will try to utorrent as that is the only
> method I have yet to try.

No.

You said you have “downloadthemmall”, and this downloader, when pointed
to a metalink, not not a plain URL, uses ALL THE AVAILABLE METHODS,
including torrent, and GUARANTEES the faster possible download, and
VERIFIES and CORRECTS the downloaded chunks.

So just use “downloadthemmall” on the metalink.


> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/iso/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso.meta4
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/iso/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso.meta4

It is ALL in our main download page, with lots of help links.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)