having simultaneous ssh connections via wired and wireless connections - suggestions please?

I am looking for some insight regarding my openSuse 13.2 installation and simultaneous connections via the wireless and hard-wired interfaces to the internet.

My router has assigned a separate IP address to each port, e.g. 192.168.1.50 (wireless) and 1.51 for the wired.
From Putty, I can telnet via ssh specifying the 50 or the 51 address. Putty works fine on either address, and both connections specify port 22.
So, it seems that this version of openSuse can support simultaneous ssh sessions via wired and wireless using the same port.
The problem I am having is that I cannot establish a ssh session from the internet, via either hardware interface.

I configure port forwarding rules for each connection, specifying SSH on port 22 for one connection(wireless), and port 2222 for the other (wired) connection. I configured my hosts in NoIP to contain the same IP address that my internet provided assigned to my router.
When I use putty and specify the name (address ) of the machine, when I use port 2222 I get a ‘connection refused’ reply – makes sense since I did not open port 2222 on the server.
When I attempt to connect to connect using port 22, the screen just sits there, then after some time, I get a time out message. I have no clue why.
I know that I have set up port forwarding correctly as I’ve configures SSH on other machine on the network and they all work OK.

Ideally, what I would like is to have both connections active and ability to connect to the wifi using port 22 and the hard wired connection using port 2222. Is this possible? If so, how can I specify a ssh port associated with a particular hardware inter face??

Thanks
J

Do you put a port-forwarding rule into your router?
And open the ports in the SUSE-Firewall or close the SUSE Firewall temporarily?

Yes, I have port forwarding rule (ssh) for the wireless interface, port 22, and port forwarding rule (ssh) for the the wired port (2222)
I did not open port 2222 which is why when I attempt a connection I get connection refused. I should open it and see what happens.
Still does not explain why I can connect on port 22 to the wireless.

I have not done anything to the firewall…I didn’t think I had to because it is allowing local (192.168.1.x) connections.
So how does one open/close ports in the SUSE firewall??

Any other ideas?
Thanks
J

Well explained in the guide (applicable to openSUSE 13.2 as well):
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/security/html/book.security/cha.security.firewall.html#sec.security.firewall.SuSE.yast.ports

great tyvm!

So, can anyone confirm exactly when the firewall comes into play? e.g. is firewall blocking on local 192.168.1.x requests? any request no matter how it is initiates and where it is coming from?
I don’t understand if/how it can allow requests from the local 192.168.1.x network but block (apparently) requests from the internet, e.g. requests that target my domain name (which translates name to my ISP provided address, e.g. 120.x.x.x) to my local class C network (192.168.x.x) (yea, I know, no one uses Class designations anymore…)
thanks
J

great tyvm!

So, can anyone confirm exactly when the firewall comes into play? e.g. is firewall blocking on local 192.168.1.x requests? any request no matter how it is initiated and where it is coming from?
I don’t understand if/how it can allow requests from the local 192.168.1.x network but block (apparently) requests from the internet, e.g. requests that target my domain name (which translates name to my ISP provided address, e.g. 120.x.x.x) to my local class C network (192.168.x.x) (yea, I know, no one uses Class designations anymore…)
thanks
J

The firewall comes in to play for network interfaces assigned to the external zone…

https://en.opensuse.org/SuSEfirewall2#Firewall_Zones

thanks you.

I checked out the firewall settings. The initial indication is that the firewall was Disabled, so messages from either the LAN or WiFi interfaces should have been recognized

Just for grins, I enabled the firewall, restarted the machine, then disabled the firewall, and restarted the machine.

No joy, I still cant get a ssh connection via my dynamic DNS.
According to my router - if I select the ssh port forwarding rule and ‘test’ it…it pings my ssh server and reports 4/4 successes.

I have a question:
Assuming both the wired and wireless interfaces are not blocked via a firewall, if a incoming ssh connection request comes in from my router on either interface, will opensuse respond on port 22, no matter what adapter the request is coming through (wired or wireless)?
J

How is your SSH server (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) configured? In particular the listen addresses and ports.