Have a total Leap 15 system, no WINDOWS OS

The printer I have is WORTHLESS, all it will do is Print. I want to buy a printer that will Copy, Scan and Fax for home that is fully compatible with my system as it now stands and the drivers for Linux work. Anybody have any? I want to buy thourgh Amazon, if possible. It seems everybody wants Microsoft’s #$% for an operating system.

I’ve had a few different printers over the years but I tend to stick with HP now. HP realises that linux exists and we have HP drivers that just work. Ink’s a bit expensive but I guess that’s the same with any make.

HP and Brother have good Linux support for a large selection of models. That’s where I’d start.

Indeed. My old Samsung died, new HP OfficeJet all in one arrived today. Installed hplip, ran hp-setup as root on USB Connection, configured the wifi, unplugged the USB, ran YaST Hardware Scanner, done. 10 Minutes incl. unboxing.

I bought a Canon PIXMA TR8520, now the operating OS is either Windows or MAC OSI, now here is the kicker: Can I run the setup file for Canon for the MAC OSI ? I thought at one time, that the MAC OS would run under Linux, but I may have it wrong.

macOS!=Linux. Download the Linux driver for this model from the Canon site…

Download and install the following…
IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.50 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive)
ScanGear MP Ver. 3.50 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive)

I moved away from ink jet printers years ago for the consumable $$$ required. For the infrequent printing that I require, a (mono) laser printer is the most economic option.

The first printer I bought since dot-matrix/parallel port days was a Canon IP laser, in part because on the box was written to have Linux support. In between I was using a free HP laser, which I needed to buy toner for only when I first got it. I spent a lot more on HP repair parts than I did for the toner. It took me 6 months to make the Canon work in Linux, after Canon support insisted it never supported my model in North America. The first driver I found came from Canon’s UK web site. After about a year Canon changed policy and offered drivers on its USA web site. When the Canon croaked around 2-3 years ago, it was around 2-3 years of age, and early on its second toner cartridge, the first being one of those only 1/3 filled found only in new printers. For replacement I bought a Brother IP laser, which I had working in short order in spite of incomprehensible instructions on Brother’s driver site.

Epson ET-2750 comes cartridge less and has good Linux support: epson et-2750 review - Google Suche

Not everyone. I am seeing quite a few people saying that when MS pulls the plug on Windows 7 (Jan 2020, I think), they will switch to linux. There’s resistance to Win10.

Kyocera: Laser Multifunctional – Print, Copy, Scan, Fax – either DIN A4 (up to 8.5” x 14” paper) or DIN A3 (up to 11” x 17” paper) – Black-only or Colour (CMYK) – for the ECOSYS models Linux PPDs are available from Kyocera – the OpenPrinting PPDs are listed here: <Printers by Manufacturer | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation.

Last month I purchased an ECOSYS M5521cdn – works perfectly out of the box on our LAN using the Kyocera Linux PPD …
Back in 2005, I purchased a Kyocera FS-820 – Black-only laser – parallel printer port (or USB) – no Postscript support (a purchasing error on my part :() – HP-PCL either with a HP PPD or a Kyocera PPD – it still prints OK (14 years – 20 000 pages printed) except that, last autumn it began to occasionally smear toner on the left paper margin – which is why the new multi-function printer has been purchased.

• Interestingly, the price paid last month is about the same as what I paid for a “print-only” model back in 2005 …
 (This one is not working at all) - I can't post the PNG attachment so you can see the files available.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/tr-series-inkjet/pixma-tr8520-wireless-office-all-in-one-printer/pixma-tr8520?tab=drivers_downloads

[size=4]IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.50 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive) [size=4](This is WORKING PROPERLY)
ScanGear MP Ver. 3.50 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive) [size=4][size=5](This one is not working at all)[/size][/size][/size] - I can’t post the PNG attachment so you can see the files available.

Here is the direct link to the page on the Canon Printer site for the Linux files.
[/size]https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/tr-series-inkjet/pixma-tr8520-wireless-office-all-in-one-printer/pixma-tr8520?tab=drivers_downloads

When posting please stay with the default font - for an easier to read consistent style. Your statement about the scanner package not working is too vague. It leads those that could help to speculate. More details please.

I assume you managed to get the package installed ok. You could confirm that with

zypper se -si scangear

Also, the ScanGear MP package comes withi it’s own graphical scanner utility (of the same name) for scanning - it does not use the usual SANE front-ends. Did you try using that application for scanning?