Has anyone successfully upgraded from 11.4 ?

I’m curious to know if someone has successfully upgraded from a pure 11.4 environment,( not tumbleweed,) without encountering any serious problems.
What was your total download size and approximately how many packages did the upgrade require.

Thanks.

You mean changing the repos and using zypper dup?

Allways be specific. Many people use upgrade as a generic English term for all sorts of updates, upgrades, using the DVD option, using zypper. … There might be more possibilities both of us couldn’t have dreamed of.

On 2011-11-17 20:56, Hanzdersion wrote:
>
> I’m curious to know if someone has successfully upgraded from a pure
> 11.4 environment,( not tumbleweed,) without encountering any serious
> problems.

Some have reported success.

> What was your total download size and approximately how many packages
> did the upgrade require.

As many packages as you have, more or less. rpm -qa | wc -l


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

you are correct, I meant upgrade the system using zypper dup. Not a new installation using the dvd or net-install or any other media, but zypper dup.

the reason of my inquiry: I am a tumbleweed user, and i’m a little astonished by the amount of files I need to download. Specifically:


1513 packages to upgrade, 142 to downgrade, 250 new, 122 to remove, 274  to change vendor, 17 to change arch.
Overall download size: 1.48 GiB. After the operation, additional 495.0 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y)

I’d like to compare this results with the number and total size of packages a regular 11.4 user, upgrading to 12.1 needs.
It will help me determine if I continue using tumbleweed or ditch it altogether, because so far it doesn’t seem much of an advantage over " regular openSuse" when I need to download that many packages.
When I switched to tumbleweed I thought I’d be getting incremental updates that would minimize the transition between distribution upgrades. So far it doesn’t look that way.

On 2011-11-17 22:26, Hanzdersion wrote:

> the reason of my inquiry: I am a tumbleweed user, and i’m a little
> astonished by the amount of files I need to download. Specifically:

Then you should read the tumbleweed forum, and post there the question.
There are specific problems for tumbleweed, and specific recommendations
for the upgrade.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I had to update about 2400 packages, and I had more or less serious problems. Half of them were fixed by switching back to sysv.
Now my system works stable.

Yes, and I was amazed, NOT a single hitch…

Dell 2400 1GB upraded 11.4, plus NVIDIA. The new 12.1 said my NVIDIA needed a touch up, but all is well in paradise at this point. My customer however needs me to install WordPerfect Office 2000 and implement the Wine area for that windowed dark side… More on that later…

I used YAST all the way. Driver held up for my video and answered my prayers…

Enjoy, this is great.

I successfully zypper duped a standard/pure fully-updated 11.4 up to 12.1, and the reboot worked well. The only hitch was the old KDE desktop settings (.kde4) in /home, causing some crashes within the DE and a failed wireless connection. That was easily remedied, plus a few KDE settings to be redone, then everything worked. Overall download size: 1.25 GiB, and an additional 500 MiB approx. used on completion. Not sure of the exact number of packages, but it was somewhere around 1500.

I haven’t committed the Tumbleweed upgrade yet, but it will involve:

1362 packages to upgrade, 140 to downgrade, 212 new, 99 to remove, 253  to 
change vendor, 14 to change arch.
Overall download size: 1.64 GiB. After the operation, additional 1.0 GiB will 
be used.

A bigger download for Tumbleweed.

On 2011-11-18 00:36, STB2010 wrote:
> I had to update about 2400 packages, and I had more or less serious
> problems. Half of them were fixed by switching back to sysv.
> Now my system works stable.

You should report this in Bugzilla


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2011-11-18 01:16, consused wrote:

> A bigger download for Tumbleweed.

Something wrong there, tumbleweed repo is empty now.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Maybe there are more package downgrades on my Tumbleweed. Well as you noted, none of the upgrades/downgrades/new packages are from the tumbleweed repo. They all come from oss, non-oss, updates, and packman-essentials. The tumbleweed stops rolling due to absence of “wind”, and then its just like doing a normal openSUSE release upgrade. After a serious upgrade, the “wind” might return and the tumbleweed rolls onward – until the next “climate changing” event. :slight_smile:

There’s nothing wrong - that’s deliberate. Since Tumbleweed is intended to offer continuous updating using a stable release as the base, the repository was emptied after the base system switched to 12.1. Now it starts moving forward again from there, using 12.1 as its foundation.

You’re correct that deep discussion of Tumbleweed has a better place elsewhere in the forums, so we shouldn’t dwell on it here

Asking about upgrade details for comparison to Tumbleweed is useful though, so that kind of question should be ok. I’m curious myself, because I experienced the same huge download when I updated my Tumbleweed system, and I was surprised. I ended up with a working system after updating 2 systems with no major problems, though, so updating from Tumbleweed might offer some benefits over starting from pure 11.4.

On 2011-11-18 02:16, consused wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2405304 Wrote:
>> On 2011-11-18 01:16, consused wrote:
>>
>>> A bigger download for Tumbleweed.
>>
>> Something wrong there, tumbleweed repo is empty now.
> Maybe there are more package downgrades on my Tumbleweed. Well as you
> noted, none of the upgrades/downgrades/new packages are from the
> tumbleweed repo. They all come from oss, non-oss, updates, and
> packman-essentials. The tumbleweed stops rolling due to absence of
> “wind”, and then its just like doing a normal openSUSE release upgrade.
> After a serious upgrade, the “wind” might return and the tumbleweed
> rolls onward – until the next “climate changing” event. :slight_smile:

Yes, tumbleweed users should now be using 12.1 - but the tumbleweed repo
was already close to 12.1 status. As you say you already updated to 12.1,
you should be done.

Actually, the recommendation is that you use the “current” repo, not 11.4
nor 12.1.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

yep, downloaded the 12.1 DVD, and upgraded through that - without any problems…
just some adjustments afterwards (graphic drivers etc)

That is incorrect my friend. Tumbleweed was anything but close to 12.1 status. If you can call 1513 packages and 1.43Gb in my case, and 1362 packages and 1.64GB in Consused’s case close to 12.1 status, then yes, tumbleweed’s packages brought our systems very close to 12.1. In fact according to Consused’s report, I’d say precisely as close as a regular 11.4 system would, I just needed one and half gigabyte worth of updates, that’s all.

I I successfully zypper duped a standard/pure fully-updated 11.4 up to 12.1, and the reboot worked well. Overall download size: 1.25 GiB, and an additional 500 MiB approx. used on completion. Not sure of the exact number of packages, but it was somewhere around 1500.

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed, to know, that tumbleweed didn’t exactly “rolled” me into 12.1, not anymore than an 11.4 system would anyways.

For now, I’ll delete tumbleweed from my repositories, change back my repos from current to 11.4 and I’ll hold on the upgrade until all 142 packages zypper is requesting to downgrade appear in 12.1.
The only thing I was really looking forward in the new release was KDE 4.7 but oh well, that can wait.

On 2011-11-18 06:56, Hanzdersion wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2405327 Wrote:
>> On 2011-11-18 02:16, consused wrote:
>> but the tumbleweed repo was already close to 12.1 status.
>>
>
> That is incorrect my friend. Tumbleweed was anything but close to 12.1
> status. If you can call 1513 packages and 1.43Gb in my case, and 1362
> packages and 1.64GB in Consused’s case close to 12.1 status, then yes,
> tumbleweed’s packages brought our systems very close to 12.1. In fact
> according to Consused’s report, I’d say precisely as close as a regular
> 11.4 system would, I just needed one and half gigabyte worth of updates,
> that’s all.

I insist that it was close, just check the version numbers. Still, if you
had x.y.z.001 and 12.1 has x.y.z.002, you get the update because of a minor
number change - which affects the entire distribution, so a huge download.

All as expected.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I do not understand why this discussion is going on and on here. It being a clear Tumbleweed case, it should have been posted in the Tumbleweed subforum anyway. That is the place where Tumbleweed users, friends and gurus hang around.

Can I please ask all those interested in this, not to post here, but open a new thread in the Tumbleweed forums? I appoint @Hanzdersion as a volunteer to do this :wink:

With respect, that sounds like a hypothesis re tumbleweed repo, not first-hand experience of a fully-updated Tumbleweed [based on 11.4] :). Just to be clear, I updated a standard 11.4 to 12.1 on a separate test partition, so that I could make a comparison if/when I upgrade Tumbleweed, and have some sort of baseline. On my installation, if you take KDE4 and libreoffice out of the argument, Tumbleweed’s contribution is not large WRT package count. Following KDE 4.6.5’s build failures, KDE was totally removed from the tumbleweed repo. Of the remainder, Tumbleweed’s kernel was at 3.1.1 newer than 12.1’s 3.1.0, hence a downgrade needed. Enough said, I think @Hanzdersion’s comments have covered it.

Actually, the recommendation is that you use the “current” repo, not 11.4
nor 12.1.

I implemented the recommendation before obtaining the “zypper dup” proposal (stats copied above). In fact I reconfigured the repo URLs many days before greg k-h pulled his switch. :smiley:

Sorry, I didn’t see your post before finishing off mine. Just clearing up a few points. No further discussion needed here re Tumbleweed IMO as @Hanzdersion has an answer. In any case, it’s being hammered on the mailing list.

Yes, KDE 4.7 seems to work extremely well for me on 12.1 standard, with some nice little improvements in desktop usability. It’s just smoother and tighter to operate. At last the KDE Activities feature makes more sense in this implementation and it’s more accessible.

Other new 12.1 features seem to be under the hood, with excellent stability and performance so far. That probably required much good work by the openSUSE Devs. :wink: