Release Date:

Operating System:

Linux
Language:

English (U.S.)
File Size:

22.8 MB

GeForce 6 series:
6700 XL, 6800 GS, 6150SE nForce 430, 6100 nForce 400, 6800 XE, 6800, 6150LE / Quadro NVS 210S, 6610 XL, 6500, 6800 Ultra, 6200SE TurboCache, 6600 GT, 6800 XT, 6150, 6100 nForce 420, 6250, 6100, 6200 A-LE, 6200, 6800 LE, 6200 LE, 6200 TurboCache, 6600 LE, 6600 VE, 6800 GT, 6600,* 6150 LE, 6100 nForce 405, G*S/XT6800

Having said all that I am very happy to try it! If the docs weren’t so contrary I would not have installed the 190. How do I uninstall the 190.42.xx?

You know, i am also confused, you say you have 6150SE IGP, i assume IGP stands for Integrated Graphics Processor then they both support this card but since you have such problems i would test the old one first.

Just uninstall the driver with YaST and install the new-old one.

There is no need to reboot, just press Alt+F1, login, su - , /etc/init.d/xdm stop, /etc/init.d/xdm start. After the last command it will start the GUI so what you need is to once again press Alt+F1 but this time logout by typing exit and exit, after logging out press Alt+F7 and report back on how it performs.

I will BBR, how do I uninstall the 190.x?

They are different. nv is the (quite) old openSource driver. If doesn’t even support full screen videos anymore with modern GPUs. nouveau does, provided compositing is available (I don’t know why). But whenever you have the choice, you should use the nvidia drivers.

I guess open YaST, Software Management, then search for nvidia and uninstall anything that will show up with nvidia in its name, while you will tick it to delete you should also see the old drivers so tick them to install :slight_smile:

If you are not comfortable with cli then just reboot instead of following my advice :wink:

TY I installed the older 173.xx set… I thought we had solved it!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/wakou/sys3.png

But it is exactly the same!

Alrighty, then tell me if you are running desktop effects and if you run desktop effects while running this poker.exe

Err Yes and Yes!..
I am just now trying with another poker client, and is much better… watch this space…
Thanks for the help so far all of you, it is late here, and maybe not the time to be bashing my brains on the computer, I will report back tomorrow, thanks agin for the assistance.

Have you tried running the poker.exe WITHOUT desktop effects turned on? (just suspend them in systemsettings)

I have 11.2 running on a Dell Inspiron 6000, Intel Celeron 1.6 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, ATI m300 graphics card.

With the old drivers I tried everything I could think of even xfce4… On 11.1 the best compromise was xfwm4, (no compiz) on top of KDE
These new drivers are VERY slow to redraw screens/change desktops… and my panel has gone see-through! Oh well another day!

Then fallback to the “new” drivers you had. I have no more ideas of what might be wrong with your configuration.

I use an eee 1000, and I have alternative ‘sessions’ for different tasks - this might be something to look into.

For example, Netbeans (a gigantic Java application) not only runs slowly in gnome and KDE, it crashes horrible death every so often unless I switch desktop effects off.

If I run it in a lightweight window manager, it’s fine. So you don’t have to massively reconfigure KDE, or sacrifice your comfy setup when your comfy setup works - just give yourself the option of picking something else when you want to run something taxing.

Recommendations; Fluxbox, openbox or pekwm. All easy to use, though they do take a bit of getting used to - I prefer pekwm, but I think openbox is easier to set up, and fluxbox easier still. I don’t know much about openbox at all, but can certainly give you a hand with fluxbox or pekwm config files. Tiling window managers are nice too - though much harder to get your head around.

If you don’t like the minimalist approach, why not install XFCE alongside KDE? XFCE is much more like KDE or gnome - just without the bling, and associated performance penalties…

wakou, just so we’re not all going insane: can you send us the results for “top” when you are NOT running this POKER.EXE gizmo AND Desktop Effects are NOT enabled? It would certainly narrow down the list of things that could be wrong.

TY Twelve-eighty, I will, tomorrow, (it is very late here) …but if I switch everything off, and don’t play poker, I don’t need a computer, I can use a pen!.. (Or Puppy Linux for email and web surfing) I am sure that my old box should be able to manage a simple poker client, even if it is under crossover (wine). Some people play 32 poker tables at once, I need four maximum…
Some people have weather widgets, monitors, media players and who knows what on their desktops, I have even switched off the “Globe” wallpaper which first made me love 11.2, the only widget I ever use is one to tell me how overloaded my CPU is.
Some people have four monitors, multiple graphic cards, HDTV etc etc
I really only use the computer to play poker and to errrrr…read forums to find out why my computer does not play poker.
I am spending more time on the latter than on the former.
I gave up trying to use it for music when I realised Amarok was so broken in ver 2.2.1,
I have not tried to watch films on 11.2, it is too frustrating. Maybe Santa will bring a new computer and Windows 7.
:slight_smile:

If you remember to be extra naughty. :wink:

I will try!

You are right - after reading the links better, it is clear that both the 190.42 and the 173.14.22 support your device.

Did you go into your BIOS and check if there are any settings that may be non-optimal wrt your graphics device configuration? Take a digital camera and make a snapshot of any relevant settings, to ease having to copy everything down on paper.

Also, please test to confirm that with special desktop effects disabled, you do not have this high xorg/kwin CPU overhead.

Can you tell us anything about the characteristics of your Nvidia 6150SE ? What were the features that they raved about when selling the card? Was it low price with reduced functionality? Was it fast GPU (unlikely) ? … What exactly was it?

Do you know anything about your motherboard design? How is this Nvidia 6150SE card connected on the motherboard to the CPU ? Is via a hardwired PCI (which means VERY slow)? via a hardwired AGP ?

First of all I would like to thank you all for your kind and excellent advice. It seems some of you are “on duty” 24/7 to help out the less able, and rep points have been liberally scattered to the respondents to this thread. You are all my heroes!

Reading the thread back again, I must bring to your attention something that occurred to me late last night. Conky is not installed by default anymore, I guess the KDE team imagined that their plasmoidowidgetery was so good that no-one would want it… an optimistic conklusion to say the very least!! So I dug it out from YAST and fired up.
It does show heavy usage BUT it also shows that my CPU speed is very often stepping down from 1800 Mhz to 1000Mhz, I guess whenever the CPU load at full speed drops below a certain level. This is in one way re-assuring as it shows that the stepping is working as it should (?). It does however mean that TOP HTOP, Ksysguard and the CPU Monitor Widget are all effectively useless as monitoring or diagnostic tools, as they show % of cpu load without paying any regard to what that is a % of!! Like saying “he must be drunk, he has had ¾ of a bottle” without saying how big the bottle, or whether it contained whisky, wine, beer or water!
Are there any benchmark/diagnostic tools available? I know it is impossible to compare one linux rig with another as each one is so very different to the next, but some sort of measurement so that one could ie compare the performance of different driver sets on the same hardware would be a very useful thing?

@ Ken-Yap & Twelve-eighty. I am aware that a lot of wondoze apps are extremely flakey and so badly coded that even the best efforts of the good people at codeweavers/crossover/wine are to no avail, I have one which is so bad it won’t even run properly in vBox, (fights with the virtual display driver I think) and wont even begin to install in crossover, another I tried yesterday won’t work in crossover either. However, they are in the main, simple C++ programs, and should not be too demanding, all the graphics are stored locally and can do limited things etc etc. When hear of people playing mega-intensive games like Left4Dead and WoW and Company of Heroes, and running MsOffice etc etc, all on linux boxes, I wonder what I am doing wrong. I have not yet learnt how to tweak crossover, and maybe there is some work for me to do there.
I am sure that I could get the CPU load figure down to a respectable % by not running any programs, but that would kind of defeat the object of having a computer in the first place; more on this later…

@confuseling re. “Use a different WM/DM”
This is indeed how I ended up doing things on 11.1/KDE3.5.1, I had compiz running with my lovely cube effect and exploding paper aeroplanes etc etc most of the time, but when needing to use crossover/wine, I would switch WM to Xfwm4, (even that was a world of pain and trouble, ending with the admin of the XFCE forum giving up, confused, see here:
Fusion-icon and XFWM
I have not yet got this working in 11.2, your solution of switching user/session is probably a logical and efficient way to go. I have uninstalled XFCE for the moment, the 11.2 flavour was flakey, although it looked great, it took a looooong time to load up (MsWindows stylee!) and after using it would crash with errors on re-start, I will install it afresh after some research and after changing some settings so that it does not become the default WM for the next restart.
re. Windows7 and Santa.
Of course I was joking, what would I do all day during the long holiday period if I had a fully working OS?? Even I can’t play poker ALL day and night!

@oldcpu and BBR

You are right - after reading the links better, it is clear that both the 190.42 and the 173.14.22 support your device.

Queer one innit? My GPU is sort of between two camps. Experience so far is that the 173.xx driver is horribly slow at doing a complete screen re-draw, ie when switching desktops, whatever I was reading in the focussed window on desktop 1 persists for a couple of seconds in the focussed window in desktop 2, if that makes any sense…
However, running a poker game for a couple of hours early today went well, a couple of small issues which may or may not be related, fonts were a bit fubar, (not really a prob as I know what the text says, besides, more likely to be easliy solved by tweaking crossover/wine, also that particular client/app seems fussy in this regard, it does the same under vBox ).

Did you go into your BIOS and check if there are any settings that may be non-optimal wrt your graphics device configuration? Take a digital camera and make a snapshot of any relevant settings, to ease having to copy everything down on paper.

I do not have a digicam to hand ATM, besides getting bluetooth etc to work on this machine really is a job for when I have a couple of weeks spare :slight_smile:
The Mainboard is ASUS M2N-MX (IIRC), I have updated BIOS to the last rev. issued. I have not changed much in there lately, except when toggling boot order to boot from USB. I recently changed the VGA memory allocation from 128Mb to 256Mb to see if it would help with this issue, I didn’t think it would, and I don’t think it has… again without any benchmarking utilities, hard to tell, but…
IIRC there is not much tweaking possible in BIOS re VGA performance. I used to run the CPU/memory overclocked by a good 30-40%, but the BIOS has an annoying safety feature whereby it will fallback to defaults whenever it encountered a boot error, so that all ones careful OC settings were lost, I don’t bother anymore!

Also, please test to confirm that with special desktop effects disabled, you do not have this high xorg/kwin CPU overhead.

I will post again with more comparative testing of rig under various conditions.

Can you tell us anything about the characteristics of your Nvidia 6150SE ? What were the features that they raved about when selling the card? Was it low price with reduced functionality? Was it fast GPU (unlikely) ? … What exactly was it?

LOLZ! it was cheap… was all I considered at the time!

Do you know anything about your motherboard design? How is this Nvidia 6150SE card connected on the motherboard to the CPU ? Is via a hardwired PCI (which means VERY slow)? via a hardwired AGP ?

I don’t know!
I had a look at the MB manual, the only thing seeming to be relevant is:

NVIDIA ® GeForce™ 6100 GPU
and NVIDIA ® nForce™ 430 MCP chipsets
The NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6100 graphics processing unit (GPU) Northbridge
supports Microsoft® DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0, and PCI Express
interface.

Well that is I think enough for now, more rubbish from me later on!
ps Thanks again!